Every time I start to play my fretting hand starts to tense up and hurt after a couple minutes. Is it because im not holding the guitar right?
You shouldn't do that, you should stretch your fingers before touching the guitar, and then play some scales or chord progressions till your hand and fingers are worm and loose then you start playing the hard stuff. This way you avoid repetitive stress injuries. If the pain remains then you should check your posture.
Last edited by sam2289 at Jan 26, 2015,
Where in your hand does it hurt? If it's in the muscle where your thumb connects to your hand, you are most likely using your thumb to apply more pressure than it should. Your thumb is basically there just to stabilize the neck. Your other fingers are where the force to fret the notes should come from. But I also agree with Sam. You should start getting into the habit of stretching out before you play.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by Junior#1
Where in your hand does it hurt? If it's in the muscle where your thumb connects to your hand, you are most likely using your thumb to apply more pressure than it should. Your thumb is basically there just to stabilize the neck. Your other fingers are where the force to fret the notes should come from. But I also agree with Sam. You should start getting into the habit of stretching out before you play.

Sorry I worded the question wrong, its my wrist not my hand thats really tense when I play. Its usually when I go to practice scales and I'm using my 3rd and 4th finger. And yeah I'm going to be stretching and warming up before I play from now on.
I'll add my tuppence worth.
I had a lot of pain like yourself, pain after 1 song, and tried my damnedest to play through it, often for an hour of sheer agony. WRONG way to do that.
Because of my bullheadedness I had to stop playing totally (ok I slipped a few songs in) for about 2 months, and have been attending physio for quite some time now. I basically had mangled all the muscles with the thumb being really bad, combining all the pain together made it hard to diagnose where the problem areas where. Thankfully I'm just having thumb problems now and it's improving.

As has been stated above, stretching those hands and digits is really important, apart from any physical gains you will also be able to stretch to those hard to reach frets so you'll improve your playing.
As well as the exercises I was using an anti inflammatory gel, I've stopped using that and instead put my hand in iced water for a few minutes, that really helps with the pain.

Hope you get past this soon mate, feel for ya
"If I didn't know I was a genius, I wouldn't listen to the trash I write."