Hey guys, new here and looking for some opinions.
I currently own a mim strat and love it for the bluesy strat sound. I'm looking for something that will basically cover all types of rock, alternative, and metal. Definitely do not want an FR and I've mostly narrowed it down to these two.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-SE-Custom-24-Electric-Guitar-110005956-i3592171.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Custom-PRO-Electric-Guitar-107766305-i2257309.gc

I've played both and do like both, the neck on the PRS seemed a little nicer but definitely not game changing. Things I'm wondering about are which would stay in tune better, which can handle bends better, does one handle highs and lows better than the other...mostly just the differences in how the two play in comparison.
A hardtail will always handle bends better because a trem makes double bends impossible (unless you block it) - when you bend one string, the other goes out of tune.

I'd go for an Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus. It's more different from the Strat than the PRS, and it's a better deal than the Custom Pro. Case included, Gibson pickups, and upgraded hardware - and still cheaper than the PRS.

They're really not that different, so decide on which you would like to play the most. Soundwise, they can both handle the same things and it shouldn't make a difference. I even believe both has coil-taps, so you can get single-coil-ish tones too.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by HomerSGR
A hardtail will always handle bends better because a trem makes double bends impossible (unless you block it) - when you bend one string, the other goes out of tune.

Hmm, I didn't think about that. Any thoughts about the PRS hardtails? I think the 245's and a couple of the artist series have them in that price range.
Get a PRS SE. Epiphone Les Pauls can be good guitars, but the PRS will be made with better parts in a better factory. If you don’t want a model with a vibrato PRS offers those, too.
PRS SE's are made in both Indonesia and Korea now, just a heads up. I found this photo: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WA3VvDtsxsA/VKFHSzEGoAI/AAAAAAAASJw/shDovjHt-yE/s1600/prs%2Bse%2Bheadstock%2B2.JPG

I've seen some quite good workmanship on Epiphone Tributes, so I wouldn't be so fast too say that they're not as good. And "better parts" on the PRS is highly questionable. Epiphone Tributes come with better tuners (Grovers), pickups and bridges.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Jan 25, 2015,
Quote by HomerSGR

Keep a little upwards pressure on your trem arm and try again...
I can't speak for the PRS, but the Epiphone is a great choice. If you're not concerned about the color of the guitar and hardware, then check out the Epiphone Les Paul Standard PlusTop Pro. It's the same exact guitar, but $50 less.

The grover tuners keep the guitar in tune exceptionally. I used to find myself tuning my guitar after every song, but even with new strings this guitar has kept it's tune very well. Very high quality guitar, looks beautiful too.

In terms of bending, a lot of it depends on string gauge, but the strings that came with my Epi Les Paul Standard bend pretty well. I can't give any input on how the two you've mentioned sound in comparison, but I like the LP. Coil tap feature is nice too.
Quote by no one, ever
I absolutely love the pop scene nowadays. So many artists with real musical talent!
Last edited by moskeedog at Jan 25, 2015,
Quote by jpnyc
Get a PRS SE. Epiphone Les Pauls can be good guitars, but the PRS will be made with better parts in a better factory.

That's a blanket statement that can't be backed up. Both brands are built in more than one factory and, in fact, in more than one country. Most parts are mass-produced for both brands (and used in US-made guitars as well as offshore instruments) in Asia and vary according to price point. Epiphone produces a wider range of guitars than does PRS. Obviously some components on the $89 Christmas Special Epiphone bolt neck are going to be different from guitars costing $600 and up.
Quote by HomerSGR
PRS SE's are made in both Indonesia and Korea now, just a heads up.

Doh! That’s the second time I’ve been disappointed like that this month. Last time it was the nice LTD basses.
Quote by HomerSGR

That's another blanket statement that has some severe flaws. Double stop bends are far from impossible, even with a trem like the Floyd. All of that depends on springs, string tension and scale. In any case, not all trems throw the other strings out of tune when one is bent. Try a Kahler some day.
Trems have other challenges that add some complexity and additional knowledge to setting up and playing guitars. Certainly if you're into and use what a good trem can do it's worth learning how to deal with one. If you're not going to actually use it settle for a fixed bridge unless the tonal changes a trem gives you (and they do change tone) are your bag.

Also remember a decent trem costs more than a decent fixed bridge soif budget is an issue, keep in mind a fixed bridge model the same price as a trem model from the same company and product line may have spent money on other aspects of the guitar meaning they cheaped out as it were to give you a trem or gave you a crappy trem. Or in the case of the SE line the fixed bridge models are just cheaper to reflect this reality.

there's always the argument that new players will use a trem and avoid the hassle of learning to do bends and vibrato with their hands as well.
Moving on.....
Last edited by KenG at Jan 26, 2015,
honestly, its preference. they are both budget instruments. they feel, sound, and look very different.

you just gotta try them.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/