so i have been fighting the patch cable thing for a while and decided to do somthing about it. i don't want to spend $10-$15 for a little shitty cable.

so i went to http://www.best-tronics.com/ which was referred to from matt.

i got 40' of: CA-0446 cable which is above mogami spec.

i got the Switchraft 228 jacks (20IIRC) for $3.35. they are pancake.

the first cable took about 45 minutes (i haven't ever done it before ) but now the ones i did today were about 10 to 15 minutes.

they are solid. i know i did them and i know i got good joints, they will last.

the cable is nice low memory.

i made cables with the jacks both the same direction, opposite, and right sided and left-sided. things tuck nicely.

i still have a ton of cable left and i will have it around. i will step it up to the next level with cable for main long cables.

$7+$.50 (two jacks, 7 inches of cable). $7.50, and solid.

i will NEVER buy another guitar cable in my life. its way cheaper and easier to do. they are as good as you solder it but its not hard at all.

if you haven't done it, DO IT. save yourself a TON of $$$. i could have saved me a few hundred hours throughout the last decade.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Nice been meaning to do that myself for sometime now. By the way is that a BYOC Zendrive?
Mesa Boogie Single Rectoverb 50 series 2 combo
Randall RM100
Peavey 5150 4x12
Peavey XXX 2x12 combo
Pedals
Quote by RJH11
Nice been meaning to do that myself for sometime now. By the way is that a BYOC Zendrive?

Tim's (greeny). i love it. its my favorite OD.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
As someone who is..."mechanically disinclined"...I have to ask:
  • How much was your initial investment in the equipment to make these cables?
  • Where would I buy such equipment?
  • what kind of workspace would I need?
  • How difficult a task would this be for an utter novice?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 26, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i will NEVER buy another guitar cable in my life. its way cheaper and easier to do. they are as good as you solder it but its not hard at all.
Welcome to the club
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I've been using Canare cable and Neutrik ends (I think they may be better than Switchcraft) for years. You can crank out a bag of cables in an evening and (depending on how you buy the bulk supplies) they can cost you a third of the "lifetime warranty" cables while matching or exceeding their quality.
Congrats on being self-sufficient and avoiding labor costs as well as high margins!

And good for you for not buying cable-making kits. Those things are too expensive. Your cable is $.69 USD per foot. Nice!
Quote by dspellman
I've been using Canare cable and Neutrik ends (I think they may be better than Switchcraft) for years. You can crank out a bag of cables in an evening and (depending on how you buy the bulk supplies) they can cost you a third of the "lifetime warranty" cables while matching or exceeding their quality.

don't like neutrik ends. i think that switchfaft has the better one. lol. but either way it probably doesn't make a big difference.

but $7 for the two ends and a 6" of cable can't beat it.

yea it is about a third. monster and moogami 6"ers are around $20 a pop.

also what is really nice about this cable is that it has like zero memory. and it nice and flexible.better than any other cable i have heard.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
  • How much was your initial investment in the equipment to make these cables?
  • Where would I buy such equipment?
  • what kind of workspace would I need?
  • How difficult a task would this be for an utter novice?

1. $3-$4 for each connecter $.69-$.80 a foot. then shipping.
2. http://www.best-tronics.com/
3. just a workbench. you need a good soldering iron but ideally a standalone unit
4. if you are a complete novice i would advise on doing something different first. the way that these jacks are you need to get the right amount of solder in to make sure that
you have a good joint otherwise its going to probably have negative results.

but its totally doable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
On the equipment front, I was talking about the soldering iron, etc. What's all that stuff run for a decent quality tool? 'Cause I gots NUTTIN'!

Also, what would you recommend as learner projects before trying this?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

I saw on a video the other day that Planet Waves has a solderless custom cable kit, not sure how much it costs though. I think I may be making my own cables soon. I've rebuilt my pedal collection and recently picked up a spiffy new, gigantic, two-tiered pedalboard, so cables of all sorts have been a thorn in my side lately. Happy Cable Freedom Day! I'm envious!
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lucky1978
I saw on a video the other day that Planet Waves has a solderless custom cable kit, not sure how much it costs though. I think I may be making my own cables soon. I've rebuilt my pedal collection and recently picked up a spiffy new, gigantic, two-tiered pedalboard, so cables of all sorts have been a thorn in my side lately. Happy Cable Freedom Day! I'm envious!

Solderless cables are almost universally unreliable garbage. The only real exceptions are Evidence Monorail SIS and Lava Cable TightRope, though both are overpriced, IMO.

Quote by dannyalcatraz

1) All you need is a soldering station, a pair of wire strippers and preferably a coax stripper. A decent soldering station can be found for ~$50 but I'd recommend stepping up to a mid range Weller or Hakko for about $100. Wire strippers and coax strippers should come in around $10.

2) All of the equipment is available at Fry's if you'd like to pick it up in person. Otherwise, try Amazon.

3) A ******* table is more than sufficient. Lay down some newspaper if your table is fragile (i.e., wood or similar).

4) Not difficult at all for the most part. Though there are some caveats. Your first handful of cables are likely to be mediocre if you've never practiced soldering before, and/or you rush through it. They'll work, but a crap joint will result in failure sooner or later. But all you need to do to fix it is to resolder it, which since you've hopefully made a few cables, will result in a better joint.

Second caveat, the standard Switchcraft pancake cables don't have a solder tag for the shield wire. You have to solder it directly to the casing, which is fairly difficult for the novice, especially if you don't have a good soldering iron with a high power output. The ones Lava have made for them do have a solder tag, however. And you can get them in colors. And as an added bonus, they dropped the price on them and they're actually currently cheaper than the regular ones from Best-Tronics.

http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=159
    E-peen:
    Rhodes Gemini
    Fryette Ultra Lead
    Peavey 6505
    THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
    EBMM JP13 Rosewood
    Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
    Good to know about solderless cables. I can solder (though stiil awkward and green), but the video made it look so quick, as in it'd take less than a minute to make a patch cable. I had the thought, its probably to good to be true.

Instead of buying a "guitar cable kit", would a place like Radio Shack have everything I need?
    Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
    Quote by lucky1978
    Good to know about solderless cables. I can solder (though stiil awkward and green), but the video made it look so quick, as in it'd take less than a minute to make a patch cable. I had the thought, its probably to good to be true.

Instead of buying a "guitar cable kit", would a place like Radio Shack have everything I need?

Yea, they're quick and easy to make, but the connection just isn't reliable. You can improve it by using Loctite on the screws, but it's still nowhere near as good as a soldered connection.

Radio Shack should have everything, but their stuff tends to be overpriced for the level of quality that you get. Their connectors aren't even close to being on the same level of Switchcraft, Neutrik, Amphenol, GLS, etc.
    E-peen:
    Rhodes Gemini
    Fryette Ultra Lead
    Peavey 6505
    THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
    EBMM JP13 Rosewood
    Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

3) A ******* table is more than sufficient. Lay down some newspaper if your table is fragile (i.e., wood or similar).

At this time, I have no space in which to permanently erect a ******* table.

Seriously, though, I'd probably have to set up a folding table in the garage. And the ones I have are all topped with vinyl- probably not a good choice, given the kind of stuff we're discussing. Would a glass-top folding lawn table be sufficient?

Quote by mmolteratx
    Solderless cables are almost universally unreliable garbage. The only real exceptions are Evidence Monorail SIS and Lava Cable TightRope, though both are overpriced, IMO.

1) All you need is a soldering station, a pair of wire strippers and preferably a coax stripper. A decent soldering station can be found for ~$50 but I'd recommend stepping up to a mid range Weller or Hakko for about $100. Wire strippers and coax strippers should come in around $10.

2) All of the equipment is available at Fry's if you'd like to pick it up in person. Otherwise, try Amazon.

4) Not difficult at all for the most part. Though there are some caveats. Your first handful of cables are likely to be mediocre if you've never practiced soldering before, and/or you rush through it. They'll work, but a crap joint will result in failure sooner or later. But all you need to do to fix it is to resolder it, which since you've hopefully made a few cables, will result in a better joint.

Second caveat, the standard Switchcraft pancake cables don't have a solder tag for the shield wire. You have to solder it directly to the casing, which is fairly difficult for the novice, especially if you don't have a good soldering iron with a high power output. The ones Lava have made for them do have a solder tag, however. And you can get them in colors. And as an added bonus, they dropped the price on them and they're actually currently cheaper than the regular ones from Best-Tronics.

http://www.lavacable.com/index.php?id=159

This was what my tech recommended weeks ago!
    Quote by Ippon
    This was what my tech recommended weeks ago!

Yea, they're cool. I always wanted to get some back when they only had the black ones just because they looked cool, but they were ~4-5/piece, which was just too much, IMO. Plus I've got like 300 regular Switchcraft ones that I bought a few years ago.
    E-peen:
    Rhodes Gemini
    Fryette Ultra Lead
    Peavey 6505
    THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
    EBMM JP13 Rosewood
    Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx

3) A ******* table is more than sufficient.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
    At this time, I have no space in which to permanently erect a ******* table.

What do you guys have against tables?
    I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
    Quote by K33nbl4d3
    I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
    Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    Quote by Dave_Mc
    What do you guys have against tables?

mmolteratx probably has some hot co-ed against his.

Me? I just don't have available space.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
    Et tu, br00tz?
    Quote by mmolteratx
    Yea, they're cool. I always wanted to get some back when they only had the black ones just because they looked cool, but they were ~4-5/piece, which was just too much, IMO. Plus I've got like 300 regular Switchcraft ones that I bought a few years ago.

And a friend was asking what I needed 50 of the same thing.
    Prolly.: haha:

...but a GF usually means less space & $ for MY stuff, right? Not sure if worth it...

Liar!

Quote by Ippon
    Keep her happy, take her places, and she'll buy you stuff, yea?

my girl treats me right. i complained my back was hurting from my shitty drum throne, and one day i walk in and see a really nice thick padded pork pie one. i would have NEVER paid that much for a throne. i just maintain her and she keeps me happy. it helps that we both are musicians though. met in college music theory six years ago.
    WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!