Hi,

I wonder if i could get some advice.

I have been learning on my Acoustic Guitar for the past three months and now I am looking to purchase my first Electric Guitar.

I have been looking at the Epiphone Les Paul guitar's what would be your recommended starter Electric Guitar.

Thanks

Brian
Thanks for the link...
Budget up to £300
Artist Wise - Rolling Stones, The Doors 60's / 70's rock...

Pickups - I am unsure about this as a noob!

I am open to new or used i have came across a LP Quilt top with the following
Specs:
1995-2006
Open coil Alnico Classic & Alnico Hot Humbucker pickups
Mahogany/alder body with flame maple veneer
Set mahogany neck
Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays
Body & neck binding
Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece
No pickguard and black pickup rings with black hardware
Amber bell knobs
2 Vol. 2 Tone controls
3-way selector switch
24.75" scale
1.68" nut width

As new user i am not sure if this specification is good or bad for £260

I am based in the UK
A Les Paul like that would be fine for that kind of classic rock. Is it new or used??
Also consider the Epiphone SG-400. They are cheaper than a LP (Gibson SG's are also cheaper than LP's) and are in a similar category. The cheaper price can mean more money for upgrades later on. Plus you might find it more comfortable.

With Epiphones, go for something at the 'Standard' level or above. Guitars below this level tend to be not so great.
Also, do you have an amp?? The amp is about 90% of your tone/sound.
if the frets are in an ok state, then jump on that. a guitar that old is bound to have some rust, lowered frets, and dna on the hardware, but its nothing too bad. if the frets are in bad shape, you might not enjoy playing the guitar.

I always thought a new guitar is best for new guys. a Yamaha pacifica 112 is cheap and reliable. after a year or so, if you are still learning/playing guitar, I guarantee GAS will kick in. so the yamaha is a good choice.

* GAS is the undeniable need to be broke as a bum in exchange for a new guitar or guitar gear.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
The Quilt Top is a used guitar.

I will have a look at what is suggested...

At this moment I do not have my amp and will be looking for a good quality amp...
I'd get the LP, for sure, as long as it doesn't have any of the issues everyone else suggested checking for. As for amps, the Peavey Vypyr is a great cheap option, you can get a lot out of it. Beats a cheap Line 6 any day. But a Fender Mustang might be a better option given your preferences.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Schecter Damien Platinum FR
Yamaha FG700S (Acoustic)
Peavey Vypyr
Fender Mustang I
Yamaha Pacifica 112V
and don't just take my word for it
http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/guitars/yamaha-pacifica-112v-26693

What's your budget for an amp?
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
lp's are always good. also check out fender though. jaguars are really versatile, but you cant beat a telecaster either.
Ibanez S7521qm 7 string
Ibanez S771pb
Fender Jaguar HH Special
PRS SE Custom 24 7 string
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Have you tried any electric guitars? Les Pauls are awesome, but they can be heavy and a bit unwieldy, so you'd want to try one first to make sure you actually get along with it (and bear in mind if you try in a shop you probably won't get to try it with a strap).

rolling stones is mainly a telecaster I think (though they use a ton of different classic guitars)

doors is mainly an sg i think?

are there any other bands you like from that era? (as you can see already there's probably going to be some compromise)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the information very helpful, I am planning in going to the shop to try the different styles that will suit myself such as the weight etc

Basically anything from that era i am into.

With regards to amp prob again £200 would be my budget...
Fender Vaporizer
Vox AC4
Laney Cub
are good tube options for that price.
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
Quote by The Judist
Fender Vaporizer
Vox AC4
Laney Cub
are good tube options for that price.

These are amps you want to look at. All tube to give you a nice classic rock sound. You'd probably want to get an overdrive pedal with these to get the most use out of them, but that's all apart of the fun!
Quote by brimcv2009
Thanks for the information very helpful, I am planning in going to the shop to try the different styles that will suit myself such as the weight etc

Basically anything from that era i am into.

With regards to amp prob again £200 would be my budget...

ok thanks. bear in mind, as i said, with regards to the weight it's kind of hard to tell if you can't try it on a strap- and even then, unless you try it for an extended period of time. A heavier guitar might feel ok for 30 seconds, but if you try to play for half an hour (depending on your level of strength... mine's about zero ) you'll sort of start to notice it (on a strap).

If you're into anything from that era, I suspect the thing is to look at the big classics- strat, tele, les paul, sg, maybe a les paul special (with p90 pickups). Try as many different types as you can and see which you like and which sound the way you like.

another option would be something like an HSS or HSH strat, so you can (sort of) get both strat tones and humbucker/gibson tones.

£200... it's up to you. You can either get one of the more basic tube amps (which generally sound more "authentic", but which tend to be more limited in tone) or get a modeller (which will do a wider range of tones but not as well).

Might also be worth considering the smaller "single-ended" tube amps- you don't have to bias them and they generally only have a couple of (cheap) tubes so you can swap them yourself and it doesn't cost so much. Generally they'll have a single EL84 or 6V6 power tube.

bear in mind, if you want overdrive at lower volumes, you need either a master volume (i.e. a separate volume and gain control) or some form of wattage control (like the vox ac4 which was listed). Some of the cheapest small tube amps don't have a master volume, so to get distortion you need to either use pedals or crank them way up (which is still very loud, despite their only being 5 watts).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 27, 2015,
Thanks for all the input i went into my local shop and tried a few guitars out settled on the Squire Vintage Surf Strat amp wise purchased a Marshall DSL 5C...
Awesome! I was just about to post and recommend something, glad to see you're sorted.

NGD thread?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
^^ Nice
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?