Hello, I was wondering if anybody has experience with the AmpTweaker TightMetal or TightRock? I use a Vox AC30 and im looking to find a pedal that can achieve a decend modern rock sound. Something very thick, with high gain that won't sound too flabby/squishy/saggy with the Ac30. Anybody?
Any specific sound samples you can show us? Both the pedals you listed sound meh by the way. I'd suggest boosting your AC30 with a high-gain overdrive pedal.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 26, 2015,
Ibanez tube screamer
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Tubescreamer? Mild overdrive? For thick, very high gain out of an AC30? You guys trolling?

I'd look at amp in a box pedals like the Bogner Ecstasy, Crunchbox, Dirty Little Secret, SLOstortion, Pinnacle, Triple Wreck, etc. I'd probably lean towards one of the ones with a bass control, but most of them are voiced tightly enough that the bass should be fine with your AC30.

Bogner Blue was my choice out of that list, but they're all good. Crunchbox might be a bit too boomy if you're playing loud on the Normal channel.
Quote by Roc8995
Tubescreamer? Mild overdrive? For thick, very high gain out of an AC30? You guys trolling?

I changed my statement after I realized my error.

+1 to a bass control of some sort, maybe MXR Super Badass?
You changed your suggestion to "a high gain overdrive" which is exactly what he's asking about

Super Badass would be good though.
The Tightmetal is great. It was made by the same dude that made the Peavey 6505 and it's very similar to it. You can also get close to a Ampeg VH140 with it by twisting some knob.
But, if you want high gain why do you have an AC30?
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Roc8995
You changed your suggestion to "a high gain overdrive" which is exactly what he's asking about

Super Badass would be good though.
You're right. I'm silly. My first impression of the OP was the general "high gain pedal, amp on clean" post, but I shouldn't have made such a generalization.

So, I suggest dialing in a dark-ish tone on the AC30 with some slight breakup, then using the OD to saturate the amp and contour the chunk. I wouldn't use the top boost. By "high gain overdrive" I meant something to boost the amp to the tone he wants, because I doubt the AC30 will handle that TightMetal pedal well by itself. But I could be wrong
Quote by Fryderyczek
The Tightmetal is great. It was made by the same dude that made the Peavey 6505 and it's very similar to it. You can also get close to a Ampeg VH140 with it by twisting some knob.
But, if you want high gain why do you have an AC30?

I don't play a lot of this type of music, but my band does some of these types of songs.

Currently, I run the AC30 on a very dark setting on the top boost channel. I use a Fulltone Gt-500 (the distortion side) to give it the extra gain. It sounds okay, but lacks something I find. Ive tried several other pedals, (MXR Super Badass Distortion, Fulltone OCD V.4, and more) but they tend to sound either too saggy or too thin.

Ive tried them all on other channels on the ac30, but I find the top boost high gain input the best for this.

Any other suggestions, folks?
Last edited by slapfunk_101 at Feb 3, 2015,
Quote by slapfunk_101
I don't play a lot of this type of music, but my band does some of these types of songs.

Currently, I run the AC30 on a very dark setting on the top boost channel. I use a Fulltone Gt-500 (the distortion side) to give it the extra gain. It sounds okay, but lacks something I find. Ive tried several other pedals, (MXR Super Badass Distortion, Fulltone OCD V.4, and more) but they tend to sound either too saggy or too thin.

Ive tried them all on other channels on the ac30, but I find the top boost high gain input the best for this.

Any other suggestions, folks?

If you don't need that much gain you can always roll of some on the pedal. It's not that it's clean at one point, and a bit later it has more gain that ENGL amps. You can dial in as much as you want.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Check out the AMT preamp pedals. I'm gonna pick up the B1 or S1 soon. I'm basically looking for the same thing you are and my hunt has led me to AMT preamp pedals. I just wish somewhere local had 'em to try first.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20