That thing is beyond ugly. Zune was ugly but at least you could comfortably have it in your pockets.
It's not that I believe all this Pono shit, it's that I'd rather not take advice from a whiny prepubescent boy.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Nero Galon
So apparently the Pono is really not that great
Is this news?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Suppose there's this new television technology that extends into the X-ray and microwave range.

I tell you: "WOW! This amazing television is able to produce unparalleled image and color quality! This is a must have! Buy it buy it buy it!"

Would you buy it? Of course not. The human eye doesn't have the hardware to see light beyond the violet and red ends of the visible spectrum.

The same reasoning holds for the sound spectrum; human hearing range is from 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz. So what if Pono can play back music at 192 kHz? It doesn't matter because we can't ****ing hear it no matter what we're told or how convinced we are through confirmation biases.

When it comes to playback, CD quality is fine. On the other hand when it comes to editing/mixing/mastering the higher the bit rate and resolution the better. But I digress; we're not talking about that.
Quote by E7#9
The same reasoning holds for the sound spectrum; human hearing range is from 20 Hz - 20,000 Hz. So what if Pono can play back music at 192 kHz? It doesn't matter because we can't ****ing hear it no matter what we're told or how convinced we are through confirmation biases.

When it comes to playback, CD quality is fine.
When tracking, using a higher sample rate is used to avoid aliasing (in short if you try to record a frequency higher than half the sampling frequency you'll incur in distortion), and downsampling creates distortion.

Also 24bit, which is higher than CD quality, potentially sounds better than 16bit 'cause of the higher dynamic range.

This though is just tech arguing - a good player ('cause of the converters and what's around them) able to reproduce audio up to CD quality might well sound better than a bad player able to reproduce higher quality audio.

EDIT: I actually saw the video.
Man that guy's a pretentious bastard.

Why in the world is he even reviewing something like that?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 26, 2015,
Linus is love
Linus is life

Linus seems to really know what he's talking about. Was it his humour that made him pretentious for you?
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Quote by Spambot_2
When tracking, using a higher sample rate is used to avoid aliasing (in short if you try to record a frequency higher than half the sampling frequency you'll incur in distortion), and downsampling creates distortion.

Also 24bit, which is higher than CD quality, potentially sounds better than 16bit 'cause of the higher dynamic range.

This though is just tech arguing - a good player ('cause of the converters and what's around them) able to reproduce audio up to CD quality might well sound better than a bad player able to reproduce higher quality audio.

EDIT: I actually saw the video.
Man that guy's a pretentious bastard.

Why in the world is he even reviewing something like that?

Because pretentious bastards are the core of the Pono's potential buying public.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Not pretentious, just annoying. Mostly because he acts like two of my highschool classmates I hated the most made a kid and gave him a camera and lots of free time.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Nero Galon
Linus seems to really know what he's talking about. Was it his humour that made him pretentious for you?
It was probably the fact that he clearly doesn't know what he's talking about.

For example at one point he mentions that it's scientifically proven 24/192 audio sounds worse than lower quality audio, which is bs.

Also he didn't really mention anything about the important (audio part) tech used in the thing.

I would not get one for sure, but it's a damn music player using a Sabre32 9018K2M, and he says it doesn't sound noticeably better than an iPhone.

Then he doesn't say that mastering quality is a limit to how good audio sounds, he comes close to saying that it's the only thing that matters.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Gadget Device With Buzzword Marketing Turns Out To Not Be As Great As Excepted
More news on page 192
Seriously, anyone remember that thread someone made a while ago about people with punchable faces? I nominate this guy.
Bad shape for a portable, the ipod and smart phone already have the portable music market...people want less devices. There is no reason why your smart phone can't have most of these features. No portable with a battery is going to have the output and battery life to drive hi-fi headphones anyways. 128gb in FLAC files? Ok.
irrelevant out of touch old guy tries to invent modern product, fails miserably

i feel like i've seen this one before
banned