Hey guys, I want to start recording some original melodic death metal stuff (think old school-Lunar Strain In Flames), but I really can't mic up my amp (A peavey vypyr 75) because it's going to be too damn loud.
I read that using amp sims (pod farm etc) isn't good for metal, so naturally I started to look into preamps.

I'm kind of a noob with this, but I'll be using Reaper as my DAW and I have a budget of around 150-200 euros (230 dollars)
So what preamp could do the job?

Thanks in advance
I don't really understand. You don't want to mic an amp because it's too loud?

Amp sims are perfectly fine for recording. Get something by LePou if you want metal plugins.
As for preamps, Marshall JMP-1 is great.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
I don't really understand. You don't want to mic an amp because it's too loud?

Amp sims are perfectly fine for recording. Get something by LePou if you want metal plugins.
As for preamps, Marshall JMP-1 is great.

Don't you have to turn the volume way up on your amp in order to mic it up?
Also, if I do decide to use an amp sim, would I need to buy an interface?
Thanks very much
Quote by Axl1399
Thanks very much

You need to turn the volume up so that the mic can hear the amp. Not ear-screaching levels.
for amp sims you do need an interface, something like a Behringer UCG102 if you're on the cheap.
But doesn't the Vypir have some sort of recording thing? Like you plug it in and you can record silently?
Fly on, fly on
You dont. You just set up the tone that you like and record it, it doesnt have to be crancked. If you have a tone that you like at living room levels, you can simply record that, you just have to adjust the gain on the mic to the apropriate levels.

As for amp sims, yes, you need an audio interface. A behringer guitar link will do for recording guitars, but id advise something better, like the Focusrite Scarlett series. Even if you decide to mic up, you would still need an interface. I guess you could put a bunch of adapters on the mic's xlr output and plug it into the computer mic input, but i have my doubts as to how good that would sound.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
You dont. You just set up the tone that you like and record it, it doesnt have to be crancked. If you have a tone that you like at living room levels, you can simply record that, you just have to adjust the gain on the mic to the apropriate levels.

As for amp sims, yes, you need an audio interface. A behringer guitar link will do for recording guitars, but id advise something better, like the Focusrite Scarlett series. Even if you decide to mic up, you would still need an interface. I guess you could put a bunch of adapters on the mic's xlr output and plug it into the computer mic input, but i have my doubts as to how good that would sound.

Waiting for Spambot...
Fly on, fly on
Isnt Scarlett suposed to be the standard that is usually recomended to newcomers to recording? Of course there are alternatives, i have a Fast Track Pro, but its a bit outdated by now i guess.

OP, just read the stickies in the "recording" section of the forum. You have all the info on recording and amp sims there.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Quote by gorkyporky
Isnt Scarlett suposed to be the standard that is usually recomended to newcomers to recording? Of course there are alternatives, i have a Fast Track Pro, but its a bit outdated by now i guess.

OP, just read the stickies in the "recording" section of the forum. You have all the info on recording and amp sims there.

Luca usually doesn't like these. I PM'd him about recording and he explained how it isn't as quality as for example a Mackie Onyx BlackJack.
Fly on, fly on
+1 to recording sticky

My suggestion: Buy an SM57 and a decent Audio Interface (with XLR port and headphone out port ofc), dial your preferred tone, crank the amp in isolation/ use DAW/AI gain controls, listen through headphones of the AI, record. c:

Edit: Actually nah, the VYPYR 75 has a USB recording interface built in, so you should be able to just dial in a good tone, connect some headphones to the amp, and connect the USB out port to your computer. The built-in interface might sound like garbage though
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 26, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
+1 to recording sticky

My suggestion: Buy an SM57 and a decent Audio Interface (with XLR port and headphone out port ofc), dial your preferred tone, crank the amp in isolation/ use DAW/AI gain controls, listen through headphones of the AI, record. c:

Edit: Actually nah, the VYPYR 75 has a USB recording interface built in, so you should be able to just dial in a good tone, connect some headphones to the amp, and connect the USB out port to your computer. The built-in interface might sound like garbage though

Yeah, the built in interface on the Vypyr sounds like complete shit. There's tons of noise and the guitars sound muddy. Also, what do you mean "rank the amp in isolation/ use DAW/AI gain controls"? Remember, I'm still new!
Cheers
Quote by Axl1399
Yeah, the built in interface on the Vypyr sounds like complete shit. There's tons of noise and the guitars sound muddy. Also, what do you mean "crank the amp in isolation/ use DAW/AI gain controls"? Remember, I'm still new!
Cheers
No problem c: I'm still fairly new to recording as well.

Cranking an amp in isolation: Turning the amp up to maximum tone potential while it is in a closed-off room that is separate from the room you are in. Amps usually sound best when they are at a moderately loud volume. Too loud and you'll clip the speaker or it might sound woofy, too soft and you'll miss out on tonal nuances and fullness. So you turn up your amp so that it drives the speaker to just the right level, high enough for the mic to pick up but low enough that it won't sound like muffled garbage. Putting the amp in isolation saves your ears, and the mic won't be able to pick up your picking noise, computer sounds, etc. that would be present in the room you are in. You'll need some longer cables to go from room to room.

Using DAW/AI gain controls: If your amp has the best tone possible but it is too loud for the mix, use the gain controls on Reaper (DAW) or the Audio Interface to turn the amp down a bit. If your amp has the best tone possible but it is too soft for the mix, use the gain controls to turn it up a bit. I wouldn't use gain controls extensively, I would rather adjust the amp volume only if it is way too loud or way too soft. Small gain difference needs could be fulfilled with the DAW/AI.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 26, 2015,
Quote by Axl1399
Not much.
'cause of tech reasons it will sound better if you turn it up a bit, but it's not really needed for it to be any louder than what is acceptable in a condo situation.
Quote by Axl1399
You would have to buy an interface in any case if you want to sound half decent at least.
Quote by Fryderyczek
for amp sims you do need an interface, something like a Behringer UCG102 if you're on the cheap.
Or an unbranded "guitar link", which is the same thing without the behringer name on it.
Look it up on amazon.
Quote by Fryderyczek
But doesn't the Vypir have some sort of recording thing? Like you plug it in and you can record silently?
Yes, but it doesn't sound really good.
Quote by Fryderyczek
Waiting for Spambot...

Though yeah, a scarlett won't sound considerably better than a guitar link considering you're gonna pass the dry signal through an amp and cab sim.
Lotsa times in the recording forum I've been told "you couldn't possibly hear the difference between A and B" when I clearly could though, so you might as well not hear any difference.
Quote by gorkyporky
Isnt Scarlett suposed to be the standard that is usually recomended to newcomers to recording?
They're usually recommended by all the regulars except me - I think they sound pretty bad for the price.

I mean, the 2i2 is the best sounding unit in its price range as far as my experience goes, but as soon as you have the budget for a 2i4 you can get yourself a mackie onyx blackjack or a roland duo capture EX, both of which sound hella better.
Quote by gorkyporky
Of course there are alternatives, i have a Fast Track Pro, but its a bit outdated by now i guess.
Me too

Don't get one TS, they sound worse than the scarlett's...
Quote by Fryderyczek
Luca usually doesn't like these. I PM'd him about recording and he explained how it isn't as quality as for example a Mackie Onyx BlackJack.
I never like them really

Also yeah, even if you check the specs without listening to the things, the blackjack wins hands down
Quote by gorkyporky
Yeah, def some good info in there.
Quote by Axl1399
Also, what do you mean "rank the amp in isolation/ use DAW/AI gain controls"? Remember, I'm still new!
Cheers
Don't worry, I myself have had a bit of trouble understanding

He's suggesting to place your amp in an acoustically isolated space, place the mic in front of it, dial the amp according to what you hear coming in through the mic (say you plug the mic into an interface and use headphones), and then record like that, monitoring (listening) everything through headphones.

EDIT: to return to the original question, if you can be bothered, the ENGL e530 is my favorite guitar preamp for sound/cost.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 26, 2015,
You guys are awesome, I never expected so much help in such a short time span.
I was looking at the ENGL E530 myself but the damn thing costs 500 euros and I really can't afford that, I'm only 16.

But yeah, I'm now considering using a microphone. If I do, do you guys think the Shure SM57 is a good choice? Also I was looking at the Focusrite Scarlett Solo as an interface

Thank you all for your help so far
Mackie Onyx Blackjack+SM57 would be great. Or a Marshall JmP-1 preamp if you can find one. They're a bit harder to find but about 200Euro cheaper than the ENGL.
Fly on, fly on
If the scarlett solo sounds anything like the demos on the focusrite yt channel than it's worse than the other scarlett's, don't get one.

The 57 is a good choice, yes.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
So can anyone recommend an interface no more than 100 euros? ($120)
(last thing, I promise)
Cheers!
Quote by Axl1399
So can anyone recommend an interface no more than 100 euros? ($120)
(last thing, I promise)
Cheers!

Alesis has a few I think. I'm not sure of the model though. Look around used, I'm sure you'll find something.
Fly on, fly on
^ same problem as the 2i2 - inputs are too hot for most instrument signals not to overload them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
^ same problem as the 2i2 - inputs are too hot for most instrument signals not to overload them.

Can you recommend a relatively inexpensive interface that doesn't have this issue?
If it's just for mic's, then the audiobox or the 2i2 are gonna work.
If it's just for direct guitar recording, then an unbranded guitar link is the way to go on the cheap.

If it's for both, I wouldn't take anything less than a mackie onyx blackjack or roland duo capture EX for a good result.
If you don't care for that, then say a behringer euphoria's gonna work, but not really anymore than just work.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
You can pick up a Peavey Rockmaster for that price. They're great for metal and the clean isn't half bad either. I love mine.