I have been "Toying" around with the idea of picking up a micro amp (Mini-Twin, Micro Crush, etc). I like the idea of having it sit on my desk at work to look cool, with the added benefit of plugging in to it and jamming through head phones. I don't really ever intend to use the built in speaker.

My question is this: are there any videos, reviews, audio files, etc on the web that demonstrate the output of these amps through the headphone jack? All the videos seem to demonstrate the speaker's sound. I want to hear what the amp does, not what the crappy little speakers do. Anybody know of a place I can hear this?
Wander into Guitar Center? Personally, I'd rather have something like a Zoom G3 or a Pod for headphones, screw looks.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Headphones won't make them sound any better.

Screw getting something you think will make your desk look cool. Get something good. Zoom G1on/G3, POD, etc.

EDIT: Ninja'd
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Headphones won't make them sound any better.

Screw getting something you think will make your desk look cool. Get something good. Zoom G1on/G3, POD, etc.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Zoom should be paying us for all the infomercial like praise we give it and recommendations. It really is a sweet lil guitar utility box though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I have a Zoom on the way, I have a Korg pedal, and a Line 6 sonic port and iPad; all of which I can play through with headphones. I have a couple real practice amps too.

I have an office with shelves that have pictures of my kids, a model MotoGP bike, a miniature RC car etc. I have a cheap electric guitar on a stand near my desk. I don't play it much, but it inspires me. I am going to get a micro-amp to have on my shelf to provide additional inspiration and conversation. I appreciate the responses and warnings, but I am not looking to make this my primary practice amp, just something that I would noodle around with just for fun.

To be honest, the various videos I have seen already have demonstrated that the sound is acceptable for what I intend to do with it. I have to believe it would sound better through headphones. The sub 8" practice amps that I have played are the same way. They sound great through headphones and only so-so through the speaker. I am just looking for recordings where someone ran the output direct to record rather than using their camera to record the speaker sound. That is all I am looking for.
Do not...and I repeat do not...get a micro-marshall. Once you plug a 1/4 into it it will not stand up for nothing. Those two you got listed are definitely better choices as far as balance. That's about all I can say.
I bought a Danelectro Honeytone on sale a while back for 15 bucks. It sounds alright. I got some neat overdriven tones out of it for a little solid state.
I have since removed the guts and moved them into a cigar box. It actually sounds better in a little cedar box than the plastic cab it came in.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Last edited by ryanbwags at Jan 26, 2015,
If you have the space and want something that looks cool and sounds good, have a look at the Yamaha THR series. Very vintage look to it and surprisingly huge sounding for the size of it.
Satan. Grant this man the gift of revenge against his foes at the Food Network.
Yeah, the THR is an actual piece of musical equipment. I might even consider the micro Crush that as well. The Marshal/Fender/Vox etc are more like toys/models, which is what I am looking for. $50 is the ceiling on this desktop paper weight. Again, it is something to look at and get excited about playing/practicing (which will take place once I get home) and for inspiration to make more money so that I can one day afford to buy the real deal and have the time to play it!

The only options that I am really considering are the Fenders, the Orange, and the Vox. All mainly for their vintage looks. The Mini Twin is at the top of my list as it matches my vintage blues interest more than the others. Thanks for the input. I guess what I was hoping to learn is if the circuit in these things is the same as the ones used in their big brothers' modeling amp versions, and if so, what it sounds like without the crappy little speakers holding them back.

I have seen a couple videos where guys plug these in to cabinets and get some pretty decent tone out of them. I guess I will just pick one up and find out for myself. I will likely end up with a couple different ones over time anyway.
I have a Tech 21 British, which is an analog Marshall amp emulator with a huge range of sounds. They make other versions, eg Mesa, Fender, Vox. It can be used as a normal pedal but it has enough oomph to be used as a preamp or as a headphone amp. I think it really shines with headphones, but the output is only mono, so you would need a mono-to-stereo adapter if you wanted to hear it in both ears.

One I have been thinking about is the Ethos, a Dumble emulator, but it isn't cheap.
Upon further review, the Blackstar fly looks pretty cool. It offers Guitar amp styling with Aux in which would allow me to use it as my desktop speaker! That might even allow me to expense it!
Quote by ryanbwags
I bought a Danelectro Honeytone on sale a while back for 15 bucks. It sounds alright. I got some neat overdriven tones out of it for a little solid state.
I have since removed the guts and moved them into a cigar box. It actually sounds better in a little cedar box than the plastic cab it came in.

i actually love my honeytone. i should record it and see how it goes. its pretty cool.

Nuno recorded a famous solo with a dying battery in a marshall toy amp through a mic and it actually sounded good. can't remember which song. i would never get a marshall one though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I played one of the Fender Twin units today and it sounded ok. It was definitely better through head phones, but certainly not like '57 model in the Mustang amps. They also have the Orange and the Blackstar there as well. I may have to try them out. I really did not want to spend more than about $40 on this toy, but as I said before, if it can be a speaker for my portable music player, that would be cool.
I think one of the Yamaha desktop amps would be nice to have, thee are some Boss and Vox desktop modelers that are cool too, but Yamaha has my vote.....unless you get a Zvex, which will have your femme coworkers instantly drop off their business attire at the sight of that cool gizmo:
http://www.zvexamps.com/amp_view.html
How about an Orange Micro Terror?

Certainly looks and probably sounds better than anything else mentioned and has a headphone socket for when you actually want to use it.

edit: just saw your comment on using it as a music player, might not be the best suggestion after all
Last edited by jecooper86 at Jan 28, 2015,
When you say mini amp, I think the new micro heads being released by Mesa and Peavey.
The Peavey 20 watt amps (VK, Classic and 6505) are massively full featured and, from the demos I've seen, sound great.
Don't waste your money on toy amps. Save up a bit and by a piece of musical equipment that you can actually use.
[404]Signature not found
That was my original thought too, but this guy wants a micro amp for a reason, so I'll say go ahead.

I haven't used one, but I did have a RMG practice amp that had a headphone out that worked pretty well. More bass than running with the speaker, so I had to adjust tone accordingly, but it sounded pretty good through headphones.

So my take is try them out and see which one you like, and run with it. Bring headphones with you...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...