Hey there! So, a friend of mine is about to buy his first bass guitar. He plays guitar, but he has been playing on his friend's bass and he would like to buy one. His budget is 200 euros and he will be playing mostly thrash metal. He has been looking at these 2 basses:

Dean Edge 09 5 String - http://www.thomann.de/pt/dean_guitars_edge_09_5_string_cbk.htm

ESP LTD B-10 - http://www.thomann.de/pt/esp_ltd_b_10_blk.htm

Which one do you think it would be better? The 5th string of the Dean seems useful, but what about the pickups? Does the Dean has a better pickup for metal, or is the LTD's one better?

What about the quality of the materials?

If you have other suggestions for a good bass for under 200 euros, then feel free to give them. I showed him the starter basses on the The Ultimate Bass Forum FAQ, but he didn't liked any of them.
First up, quality is going to be utter crap for less than 200 euros unless you buy second hand. Increasing by just 50 euros will get you into much better territory. LTD are ok but avoid Dean at all costs. I'll pick out a few for you:

Cort Action Deluxe
Yamaha TRBX 174
Ibanez GSR200

I've had products by Yamaha and Ibanez before and tried out the Cort Action for quite a bit and I'm pretty damn impressed at their value.
Last edited by Spaz91 at Jan 26, 2015,
Quote by Spaz91
First up, quality is going to be utter crap for less than 200 euros unless you buy second hand. Increasing by just 50 euros will get you into much better territory. LTD are ok but avoid Dean at all costs. I'll pick out a few for you:

Cort Action Deluxe
Yamaha TRBX 174
Ibanez GSR200

I've had products by Yamaha and Ibanez before and tried out the Cort Action for quite a bit and I'm pretty damn impressed at their value.

The Cort seems like a fine bass and it only goes 20 euros above his price range. And it looks awesome as well! Thanks very much for the suggestion, I'm sure that he will like it!

In case he says that 220€ is too much (he probably won't), how is this bass compared to the Cort DLX?

http://www.thomann.de/pt/cort_action_passive_4_bk.htm
I have many basses but my ESP is what I always use for anything thrash related. I find the F and EC series sound the best for metal stuff, they sound kind of like David Ellefson-y or like marc hoppus. I have no experience with the B series but it seems to be the same woods and pickups.

Also don't go with Dean, and I find that for thrash or straight ahead metal stuff you don't really need a 5. I find 5's are more useful for prog, death, or core, unless of course your band plays 7's or in drop B and C or lower.
any pay as you go options? thats what i did.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
any pay as you go options? thats what i did.

No, I don't have any.

Quote by corrda00
I have many basses but my ESP is what I always use for anything thrash related. I find the F and EC series sound the best for metal stuff, they sound kind of like David Ellefson-y or like marc hoppus. I have no experience with the B series but it seems to be the same woods and pickups.

Also don't go with Dean, and I find that for thrash or straight ahead metal stuff you don't really need a 5. I find 5's are more useful for prog, death, or core, unless of course your band plays 7's or in drop B and C or lower.

Thanks very much for the info! It was indeed very helpful!

My friend will probably go for the Cort DLX, since it seems the best for his price range. Thank you guys for the help.