Hey,
So I'm basically a brand new player looking to get into guitar. I'm a student so I don't exactly have a big budget to work with right now (preferably $300-400, maybe $500 if it will get me a much better deal.) to spend on a decent electric and amplifier. I'm looking for a mostly rock/metal sound (think Bullet for my Valentine, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold, Green Day, etc.) I would prefer buying new but I will consider going used if it is to my advantage.

So far I have considered a few guitars and amps.

Guitars:
- ESP LTD M-10
http://www.amazon.com/ESP-M10KIT-BLK-Electric-ChromaCast-Sampler/dp/B00C7FQIHK/ref=pd_sim_sbs_MI_8?ie=UTF8&refRID=1HSAK3PRG4463ZM5HEMY

- Ibanez GRX20
http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-GRX20ZBKN-Electric-Guitar-Black/dp/B000N2Q6WG/ref=sr_1_2?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1422323401&sr=1-2&keywords=ibanez+electric+guitar

- Squier Affinity Strat
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/squier-affinity-series-stratocaster-electric-guitar

In terms of guitars I'm leaning more towards the LTD M-10 since it seems to have a pretty decent price and I honestly just like the looks of it. It's also got humbuckers which I heard were pretty good for the kind of music I'm looking to play.

Amplifiers:

Peavey Vypyr VIP 1
http://www.amazon.com/Peavey-Vypyr-VIP-Instrument-Amplifier/dp/B00B5OY84Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1421643055&sr=1-1&keywords=peavey+vypyr+vip+1

Fender Mustang I
http://www.amazon.com/Fender-Mustang-1x8-Inch-Electric-Amplifier/dp/B00BTGMI5O/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1422323537&sr=1-1&keywords=fender+mustang

In terms of amps I'm leaning more towards the peavey since I heard more positive feedback about it compared to the fender but then again I'm just a beginner so I'm looking for your opinion.

Thank you.
Last edited by Dapdopy at Jan 27, 2015,
Of the 3, the LTD does look best but only has 22 frets.
Some other options that look even better:
Jackson JS Dinky
BC Rich Villain Plot
BC Rich Villain One, if you have to stick to the tighter budget.

I have a Mustang I. It's a nice amp, especially if you like Fender sounds. The software it comes with is very cool, if you can get it to work. For more metal/rock the Vypry is a better choice. I plan on getting one soon. It also has some software but I have no experience with it.
Quote by dthmtl3
Of the 3, the LTD does look best but only has 22 frets.
Some other options that look even better:
Jackson JS Dinky
BC Rich Villain Plot
BC Rich Villain One, if you have to stick to the tighter budget.

I have a Mustang I. It's a nice amp, especially if you like Fender sounds. The software it comes with is very cool, if you can get it to work. For more metal/rock the Vypry is a better choice. I plan on getting one soon. It also has some software but I have no experience with it.

Thanks for your help. This is probably a pretty stupid question but whats the disadvantage of having 22 frets vs 24?
Quote by Dapdopy
Thanks for your help. This is probably a pretty stupid question but whats the disadvantage of having 22 frets vs 24?

It becomes a problem if you want to play songs where the leads go up into the Mariah Carey range.
The 2 extra frets are going to come in handy for solos, especially if you plan on using alternate tunings.
I've also got a question about floyd rose guitars since one of the above posters mentioned one (the BC Rich Villain Plot)
How hard is it for a beginner to handle one of those? I've heard plenty of things that scare me away from them so I'm just wondering about it.
It's obviously more complicated than a fixed bridge. But there's lots of videos on youtube on how to deal with a Floyd Rose for string changes, intonation, change of string thickness. The Floyd Rose website also has tips. You can always block it if you don't want to deal with it by using coins, pieces of wood, or sticky pads (there's videos for that too). But since you like rock/metal a tremolo will come in handy eventually. There's a learning curve but it shouldn't keep you from getting a guitar you like.
Get the strat and get a fender front man amp 10 watts its plenty loud and has a head phone jack.
I have the front man great amp for 60 dollars ,free shipping and no tax from sweet water .
Or get the les Paul
I'd go with a JS series Jackson and a Peavey Vyper. The Vyper has a ton of effects, so you'll learn how digital effects work (especially if you get serious in your playing and end up fixing up a pedalboard with effects).

Good to see another person picking up guitar. I've been playing for over 12 years.
I feel old, hahaha.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Quote by Dapdopy
I've also got a question about floyd rose guitars since one of the above posters mentioned one (the BC Rich Villain Plot)
How hard is it for a beginner to handle one of those? I've heard plenty of things that scare me away from them so I'm just wondering about it.

the big problem is the cheaper ones tend to not be that good, so you get all the extra hassle (in fact more because they're harder to set up if not so good quality) for little or none of the benefits.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 22 versus 24 fret thing, unless there's a ton of stuff you play which you know you need 24 frets for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ya id go with a Jackson type guitar since it sounds like you're really into metal type music. They are pretty good guitars for the price and have humbuckers and a floyd rose type bridge. Also try a peavey bandit or a line 6. I think both of those type amps will get you where it seems you're looking to go. Good luck man, lets us know how you made out on everything.
If you're buying new I'd recommend the JS32QT. The fixed bridge will be of a much higher quality at this price point and you have more things to worry about learning how to play then how to keep a Floyd balanced. It's $270 new.

Here's the link http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS32TQ-Dinky-DKA--QM-Electric-Guitar-110864113-i4007363.gc

Unfortunately with Jackson this is the least expensive model with a fixed bridge. The quilted top looks cool though.

For a physical amp go with a used Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt. You can find these for $99 used quite often. That puts you under budget.

If you want to play using your computer, check out Peavey Revalver software (free and then you buy what you want for $5 a pop to get rid of a noise) and a Rocksmith cable or $30 for a no name interface from Amazon - instrument cable to USB converter. The Rocksmith Video Game is also quite useful for the price.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
As you are beginner, my opinion is to follow Mark McKenzie's guitar learning course.It will be very helpful for you.......I hope ....
Fundamental of guitar , sound playing , guitar maintenance, awesome trick for playing guitar,finger style everything everything are available here....And you will get all guideline you need for playing guitar !!!!
I would recommend an ESP LTD MH-50, but it is 300 bucks. Probably too high for your budget no? Here's a link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-mh-50-electric-guitar-with-tremolo?_requestid=2824881

I played one recently and I loved it. Very good for the price in my opinion. It has a Floyd Rose Special bridge, but the tuning stability was very good, it didn't detuned at all even when using the whammy bar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Floyd Rose Special bridges are very easy to replace by a Floyd Rose Original because they have the same dimensions and all that stuff, the only thing that changes is the materials (the materials on the FR Special are not as good as the FR Original's).

Weird thing is, on the MH 50 that I played it was written Floyd Rose Special on the bridge. On that image at musician's friend website it is written ESP. I don't know if they are different.

Unfortunately I can't give you any recommendations for the amp because I don't know how much you exactly want to spend on it, but go used! But like metalmingee said, take a look at the Peavey Vypyr 30 W.

Anyway, the Jackson Dinky is always a good option. The JS22 seems quite good to me. But don't buy a Jackson with a Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose, I have had bad experiences with those. Go with a Jackson with fixed bridge or Fender Style Tremolo on your price range (don't expect to go crazy with the whammy bar on that kind of bridge, only a Floyd Rose can provide that without ruining your tuning stability).
Last edited by DanyFS at Feb 22, 2015,
I am pretty sure this thread is dead.
And everything that once was
infinitely far
and unsayable is now
unsayable
and right here in the room.

- Franz Wright
Quote by NougatOfficial
I am pretty sure this thread is dead.

It damn is... read wrong the date of the last post before Samuel