Page 1 of 2
What is your optimum number of standard drinks before playing a gig? I've got to play this Saturday. Been practicing every night and I've found I play best after 1 to 3 drinks. Any less, I'm too tense, any more, I'm too relaxed. Well too many more and I think I'm great but I'm probably really not.

How bout you, pit? I'm sure there are plenty of stories out there too
I play best after I drink 17 bottles of vodka, and the band go on as a 3 piece.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I play best after I drink 17 bottles of vodka, and the band go on as a 3 piece.

Or maybe you'd just sound best if everyone else had 17 bottles of vodka
Quote by mind_meld
Or maybe you'd just sound best if everyone else had 17 bottles of vodka

I sound best with the amp turned off.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
None, because I sing as well, and alcohol helps **** up my throat really quickly, and if a venue also has those bloody fog machines, I need to do everything I can to protect my fragile little vocal cords.
I don't drink beer or anything like that. I just use Amp energy drink or Mountain Dew Kickstart before going on stage, which is best for me.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
I don't drink anything before I perform....alcohol makes me lose focus, and anything non alcoholic means I have to pee about 10mins into the set.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I'm tee-total these days, so it doesn't happen.

Years ago though (about 91-92ish), I once got so pissed before a gig that I fell off stage! We were playing an all day event, due to go on at 2pm. I got there at 1ish, so I could have a couple before going on stage. Due to major delays, we didn't go on till about 5 or 6 pm. By then, I was just on a drinking session. The gig had become an afterthought.

I made it onto the stage, but fell off during the second song. It wasn't far, so there was no damage to me or my guitar, and I just sat on the edge of the stage for the rest of the set (5 songs in total).

I thought I was awesome. The band kicked me out the next day.

The moral of the story? If you don't know, you weren't reading.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington

The moral of the story?

Learn to take liquor?
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Nah I can't play for shit when I'm drunk.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
not many, and depends what I'm drinking too.

the more bourbon I drink, the more violent I get. same with vodka.
liqueurs make me the happiest person ever apparently
and I don't drink beer

I don't drink before playing though, did not work out last time and I'd only had 2 drinks.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
If you need a drink to 'take the edge off your nerves' etc. fair enough but probably just means you haven't done enough gigs to reach a point where you just enjoy them and any nerves just go on the backburner as adrenaline.

People should do whatever feels most comfortable to them, but if you drink enough to impair your performance it just screams unprofessional and means you have to be even better for your talent to shine through.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by Pastafarian96
not many, and depends what I'm drinking too.

the more bourbon I drink, the more violent I get. same with vodka.
liqueurs make me the happiest person ever apparently
and I don't drink beer

I don't drink before playing though, did not work out last time and I'd only had 2 drinks.

You don't drink beer? And you're Australian? What's next, are you going to tell me you don't kill something with your bare hands every two hours?
Even a friend of mine (who's British) that recently moved to Australia has already posted a story of swatting a large spider off a co-worker's back... it's just the culture!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by ultimate-slash
You don't drink beer? And you're Australian? What's next, are you going to tell me you don't kill something with your bare hands every two hours?

I compensate for my beer drinking (or lack-thereof) with vicious rampages against mousekind.

EDIT: Spiders are different to me though, I keep most of the web-spinners (especially orb spiders) safe because of the intense number of flies.
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Last edited by Pastafarian96 at Jan 27, 2015,
3 beers is good, unfortunately the whole band gets free beer from the time we set up, so the drummer is on about 8 by the second set, sometimes we play from 11pm till 3am, we just keep playing because we're feeling pretty good. Everyone in the audience is drunk by 12 so it works out ok. Second set we play easy drunk songs
Last edited by Tempoe at Jan 27, 2015,
Don't drink alcohol, i just eat some peanuts, some water and tell the drummer to do a like 5 to 10 seconds of blast beats to pump me up, i tend to be very relax xD
Quote by chookiecookie
Go penis them

hard
1 drink and no more. I used to do Jagger bombs before shows but sometimes had way too many and just made a complete ass of myself
I don't drink before shows because I'm not an alcoholic.
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
About 2 beers is the most I'll drink before a show. One time we got to the bar we were playing WAY too early and I ended up having like 5 beers before we even started. I still did alright, but it could have been better. The main thing was me trying to turn on the effects loop mid song and accidentally turning off the distortion for a couple of seconds.
I find that going on stage sober and then sipping on 1-2 drinks in between songs kind of gets me at my best.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by badfish_lewis
1 drink and no more. I used to do Jagger bombs before shows but sometimes had way too many and just made a complete ass of myself

Quote by BjarnedeGraaf
I don't drink before shows because I'm not an alcoholic.

What? That is not alcoholism.

I've never performed with a group live, but one or two beers during the set would seem ideal.
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
Last edited by Zaphikh at Jan 27, 2015,
Quote by heartbreakhotel
If you want to play drunk, you should practice drunk...

Did this too. I used to get drunk before shows, but I've always handled it well enough.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
i will usually have a drink prior and have a couple during the show (we were a cover band though so would play from 930pm-130am with 3 15min breaks in between).
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
I always found 5 beer deep to be my optimal playing capability with a band. Loose enough to play well and really get in with the band and not drunk enough to be sloppy
Quote by heartbreakhotel
If you want to play drunk, you should practice drunk...
That's actually pretty smart, I'll def do that from now on.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Really depends on what you're playing/singing. When I played somewhat forgiving stuff like Black Sabbath, one or two beer was okay to ease up. Playing Slayer or anything else that needs high precision though, it just doesn't work with alcohol.

That said, in my very first band back then we played Bryan Adams and Green Day, so no matter how much I drunk, it wasn't enough to bear with it.
I'm generally a drunk, so I tend to have a couple drinks before/during a gig. I even have points in our set when I can drink or get another beer pretty well choreographed at this point.

I also do much of the talking to the crowd between songs, so it helps if I get decently liquored up to let my goofy sardonic side out.

Last Halloween though I learned that there is a point where playing drums is nigh impossible so I try to avoid that.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Last edited by snipelfritz at Jan 27, 2015,
I've never had alcohol before and don't intent to either but I imagine that if I had even 1 pint i'd probably end up turning the gig into a Replacements gig
Dance in the moonlight my old friend twilight

Quote by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
The only thing I drink before/during a gig is water. Alcohol and almost every form of caffeine is bad for your vocal chords. Tea is okay but that's about it. If you're gigging, people are likely paying to see you and therefore, you should be at the top of your game. The nerves will go away with time and it'll just be more excitement than anything. At least from my experience
Jackson DK2M "Kendra"(Illuminator/Crunch Lab)
Charvel So Cal "Hayley" (JBs)
Washburn RX30 "Cherri" (Jazz/Dimebucker)
Sterling JP60 "Mara" (LiquiFire/Steve's Special)
this is the best thing ever ps, the swirly gig:

Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Quote by bdof
Nah. The most I'd do is a single drink before a show.

Check your messages
Page 1 of 2