Hi

I've been playing/learning acoustic guitar for about 7 months now and I'm really enjoying it.

In this time I've had about 3 lessons but not had one now for about 3 months. I was just wondering what everyone's opinions are of lessons?

I'm enjoying teaching myself and using the Internet to help me improve. I just found that all a lesson involved was someone watching me telling me to practice more in my own time and gave me tab sheets and a few exercises. I can do all this at home with my guitar and a laptop.

Have I just picked the wrong person to learn from or is this the norm?

Cheers
i had a teacher like that when i was a kid. i absolutely hated it, and it held me back. good teachers work with you, showing you stuff from how to hold the guitar so you can play more easily to techniques. bad teachers show you little, put most of the work on you, and aren't much help but can make you feel bad about playing. FINDING a good teacher can be a pain in the butt.

my husband, btw, never had one lesson. he's 100% self-taught and an incredible player but he's super motivated when it comes to playing. not sure i'd have been that motivated when starting out.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I have taught myself how to play the guitar, acoustic and electric, over the past few years. I used YouTube and Ultimate-Guitar to learn, and never had a lesson. Altough I think it would be beneficial for me to have some lessons, I am playing for the enjoyment and not to join a band or perform publically, I have turned down requests to play in bands before.

It is down to personal preference though. If like me, you only play for personal enjoyment, I wouldn't bother with lessons at all. However, if you would like to join a band or persue a career in music and don't feel comfortable enough, maybe switch to a more hands-on teacher who is willing to help you during lessons instead of telling you what to do to learn, because as you said, you could do that yourself!

Before you pay for more lessons, have you tried looking up Mart Schwartz on YouTube, his lessons are brilliant and breaks down the chord progressions pretty good. Have a look, If I can do it, anyone can!
This really depends on you and your learning style. For myself, I believe that I progress faster when I am working with a teacher. I have been playing 6+ years and I just started lessons again.

A good teacher will work with you to show you what you need to work on based on your skill level and where you are at. There is so much information (good and bad) on the Internet that it can be hard to sift through to figure out what you should be doing next. A teacher will help align you with what you need to be working on to improve.

A big factor for me is accountability. When I meet with my teacher he expects that I have practiced for that week and the fact that I am paying gives me further incentive to practice every day so that I am not wasting my money. I am not talking about picking up the guitar and jamming, I do not need incentive to do that. I am talking about really practicing where I sit down for 30 min with a metronome and really work on my playing.

When I am learning on my own without a teacher, I can sometimes get myself to do focused practice, but I am constantly second guessing if what I am working is right and if I am indeed ingraining a good habit or simply reinforcing a bad habit.

That is simply my rationale for taking lessons and I am confident it is what is best for my playing. I do not have aspirations of becoming a professional musician or anything like that. It is simply a hobby, but I treat the guitar like a real instrument and not a toy used to play poorly transcribed tabs from the internet.

In my opinion, it is up to you to determine what will work best for you and what you want to get out of the guitar. There are a lot of really good self taught musicians and a lot of bad musicians with a lot of formal training so there is certainly not a one size fits all approach. I do however think that if you are serious about learning the guitar, you should try weekly lessons for a while so that you can make an informed decision about what is best for you.
A teacher may be beneficial but when it comes down to it, learning guitar is really about the time, effort and practice you put into it. Lots of good internet lessons out there too like justinguitar and guitarjamz.