NOTE: I really barely know anything about electricity, so please excuse my ignorance.

So I've got a a Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier and would like to use it outside of the US. On the back it says 120V, but I know where I live we've got 240V, so apparently I would need to get a step down converter.

So my question is: what is a safe wattage to get? The amp is a 25 watt head. Also as a side question, most of the ones I've seen have both a step down and step up, just to make sure, I'm supposed to plug the amp into the step down, right?
Yes get a stepdown transformer to go 220/240v to 110/120v. Ask someone at an electrical supply store what you will need to safely run the amp.

Some amps have a multi-tap tranny that can switch voltages but you need to make sure the fuse is the correct one (if the amp can do this)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate

Here's the back of the amp, I don't know if this is any help.
According to the specs on the back of the amp, the max wattage the amp is gonna pull is 120 watts (P=UxI)
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
Just out of complete curiosity, what's the absolute worst that could happen? And how much would it cost to fix?
Quote by Mezo
Just out of complete curiosity, what's the absolute worst that could happen? And how much would it cost to fix?

The amp will blow up (seriously)
the amp needs 120v not 120 watts. I'm not an electric wizard, but check with a local retailer to see what would be sufficient to run it and you will be fine.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The amp will blow up (seriously)
the amp needs 120v not 120 watts. I'm not an electric wizard, but check with a local retailer to see what would be sufficient to run it and you will be fine.

If that was in response to my comment, I didn't say that.

Also, the amp most likely will not be affected, as soon as you connect it to 230V, it will just blow the fuse and do nothing.
Vintage V-100, EMG 81&60
Chapman ML-1

Jet City JCA20H
the amp cant blow up if you an underpowered step down transformer. the the step down transformer itself will blow.

The mains fuse is a good indicator as to the power of the converter you need. if the mains fuse is 1A, then 200W should be enough by a good margin.

P/V = I -> 200W/120V = 1.66A

*mistake fix: The max power the amp will pull isnt exactly 120W. the fuse only indicates how much the amp can be overpowered before things start to burn inside. Under normal 120V conditions the only way the fuse would burn is if somethings shorting in the amp in which case the current and power consumed would skyrocket towards infinity. In this trek towards infinity, at 120V, the fuse will blow at 120W.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Jan 27, 2015,
Quote by bustapr
the amp cant blow up if you an underpowered step down transformer. the the step down transformer itself will blow.

The mains fuse is a good indicator as to the power of the converter you need. if the mains fuse is 1A, then 200W should be enough by a good margin.

P/V = I -> 200W/120V = 1.66A

the max pull of the amp is indeed 120W.

+1
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Try the transformer with another product first. Seriously, I had a friend blow a US Mesa with a faulty step down transformer, had to get it repaired.

From what I've heard from my tech, it also won't sound the same but it could be done. Just make sure you test the transformer with something cheap first that runs on US voltage.
Quote by diabolical
Try the transformer with another product first. Seriously, I had a friend blow a US Mesa with a faulty step down transformer, had to get it repaired.

From what I've heard from my tech, it also won't sound the same but it could be done. Just make sure you test the transformer with something cheap first that runs on US voltage.

It should sound the same. Alot of american things when taken to europe dont work the same mostly because of the frequency of 50Hz vs 60Hz. Because of the nature of guitar amps this frequency is brought down to 0Hz. An amp working at 0Hz in USA is going to sound the same as the same amp working at 0Hz in Europe. the only difference might be that some of the noise will be slightly slower which doesnt really affect the tone.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Last edited by bustapr at Jan 27, 2015,
Alright guys thanks for all the advice! I've got one last question, so I can't seem to find anything between 200 watts and 1000 watts nearby, I only managed to find these two:

The first one is 200 watts and the second one is 1000, should I play it safe and go for the 1000 or would the 200 one be enough? (ideally I'd like to go for the 200 one considering it's a lot more affordable, but if it means the safety of my amp, I'll go for the 1000 watt one)
200W is playing it safe.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Make sure the transformer is a regulated supply type. Being a carpenter, I used to work on site in the UK, where all power supplies are 110 volts. You can buy power tool transformers that supply from 750 to 5000 watts that can be plugged into the socket at home, but as power tools will usually survive a sizable power spike without any problems, there is a fair bit of fluctuation in the output of these. This could cause quite a few problems with the more delicate electronics in an amp, probably the mains transformer in the amp, as this would be in the firing line for power spikes.
My Gear:- A guitar, a guitar lead, a guitar amplifier. Or sometimes just an acoustic guitar!
Last edited by anguskilminster at Jan 28, 2015,