Poll: Which guitar should I buy?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which guitar should I buy?
Epiphone LP100
1 5%
Cort CR-100
1 5%
Cort CR-250
0 0%
Swing C1
0 0%
Craftsman GS100
0 0%
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
5 25%
Epiphone G400
9 45%
Other (please state! ^_^)
4 20%
Voters: 20.
Hello guys! Since last year, I wanted to take up the guitar, the electric guitar and I'm thinking about buying myself a guitar.

I live in Singapore, so the guitar available is quite limited. And finding a used guitar is nearly impossible. Buying from eBay or Amazon is not really an option either cause of the very high delivery cost. So, my only option is to buy a new guitar fresh from the store.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>> Budget: around ±S$500, probably S$525 is the maximum I can go through.
(That is around USD 390, USD 419 maximum)

>> Favorite Artists: ONE OK ROCK, Paramore, and some other alternative rock artists. I don't really listen to heavy/death metal or stuff like that.

>> Preferences: I would really like a Les Paul shaped guitar, or an SG shaped guitar. It's more of a personal preference (the guitarist in ONE OK ROCK uses a Les Paul, most of the song covers I've seen also used Les Pauls, and I've grown very fond of the design).

>> Pickups: Humbuckers

>> New/Used: New

>> Location: Singapore

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I'm Expecting: Personally, I don't really need a guitar that sounds divine. I'm more of expecting my guitar to be able to hold it's tune for a long time (not needing tuning every now and then), and a durable guitar. Decent sounding guitars are fine with me. When I've decided on a few guitars that fit the criteria, then I'll proceed to try it out in the store for further judgement.

The problem is with Singapore is that the guitars they provide aren't that common in the US. We have funny brands like Cort, Craftsman, and Swing. And entry brands like Epiphone are generally more expensive here than in the USA.

>> I've cherry picked a few guitars for you guys to pick:

- Epiphone LP100 (I have no link for this one)

- Cort CR-100
http://www.sweelee.com.sg/cort-cr100-bk-electric-guitar-rosewood-neck-black.html

- Cort CR-250 (No links for this one too. Swee Lee Music Store says that it's currently not available and won't be available until 3-6 months. But I'll try to find this one).

- Swing C1
http://www.svguitars.com/swing-c-1-bk/

- Craftsman GS100
http://soundalchemy.com.sg/shop/les-paul/craftsman-gs100/

- Epiphone Les Paul Studio
http://www.sweelee.com.sg/epiphone-les-paul-studio-electric-guitar-rosewood-neck-alpine-white.html

- Epiphone G400
http://www.sweelee.com.sg/epiphone-g-400-w-alnico-classic-pro-pickups-and-coil-tap-electric-guitar-rosewood-neck-cherry.html

>> Here are a few websites of renowned guitar stores for you guys to check:

- Guitar Gallery
http://www.guitargallery.com.sg/product-category/categories/guitars-categories/electric-guitars/

- Swee Lee
http://www.sweelee.com.sg/guitars-singapore/electric-guitars-singapore.html

- Sound Alchemy
http://soundalchemy.com.sg/product-category/electric-guitars/

To conclude, at first, I was pretty torn apart between Epiphone Les Paul Studio and the Epiphone G400. But then, I found out about the Cort CR-100, Cort CR-250, and the Swing C1 and they seem to be pretty good. Their reviews are mostly in Indian/Spanish, which I don't speak.

And if you guys would like to offer a guitar that is not on the list (doesn't have to be a Les Paul or an SG shaped guitar!), I would appreciate it.

Thank you guys for reading my quite long post, I'm trying to be as specific as possible, easing you guys help me choose, instead of blatantly asking "what is the best beginner guitar?". I really really appreciate your help.

Thank you very much!
Last edited by stratos210 at Jan 27, 2015,
You might want to look at some of the guitars from brands that are primarily marketed in Asia, like Radix and Swing.

http://radixguitars.com
http://www.swingguitars.com/xe/home_e
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 27, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
You might want to look at some of the guitars from brands that are primarily marketed in Asia, like Radix and Swing.

http://radixguitars.com
http://www.swingguitars.com/xe/home_e

Yes! I've been researching on Swing lately and have heard a healthy dose of good and bad reviews about it. Here's a review on Ultimate Guitar for it's Classic II model:
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/swing/classic_ii/index.html

The durability isn't that good though as he stated. What's in range in my budget is the Swing Classic I. Since it's a lower end guitar, I expect the durability to be worse than the Classic II.

Here's another review from MyLesPaul.com:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/custom-shop/47146-swing-guitars.html

Some says that it's a great guitar for the budget. However, no further details are stated.

And the set-neck and trapezoid inlays for the guitar, for a S$345 (USD 275) seems too good to be true for it.
I have had problems with no-name pickups from other manufacturers, so that his failed doesn't surprise me. Hard to say what was going on with the finish chip or the fretboard wear, though.

Their higher-end guitars don't seem to suffer those issues any more than is typical for the industry, AFAIK. But if the Classic II is out of your price range, it is probably best to avoid them.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by dannyalcatraz
I have had problems with no-name pickups from other manufacturers, so that his failed doesn't surprise me. Hard to say what was going on with the finish chip or the fretboard wear, though.

Their higher-end guitars don't seem to suffer those issues any more than is typical for the industry, AFAIK. But if the Classic II is out of your price range, it is probably best to avoid them.

From my research, the pickups are made by Swing itself. Called something like Swing Classic Standard Pickup or something. Swing, from what I've heard in the web, is one of the most, if not the most reputable manufacturer alongside Cort.

What can you say about the other guitars though? Especially the Epiphones and if possible, the Cort .
Swing makes their own, but also use pickups from Tesla.

Epis are a decent brand, overall, and should be comparable to other guitars in your price range in terms of quality.

I don't know Corts at all.

I would say stay away from the Epiphone LP100 – it is basically junk with strings on it. Also based on the specs and what I could find I would scratch the Cort CR-100, Craftsman GS100 off the list.
The swing and the Cort-250 look to have similar specs, I have no experience with swing guitars but have played a few Corts and found them to be decent guitars. To me the Epiphone studio doesn’t impress, the SG G-400 will be a better quality build with better pickups.
Bottom line – if you want the Les Paul shape go with the Cort-250, if you want the SG go with the Epiphone G400. I do think you will probably get a little better guitar out of the G400 over the 250.
+1 for the Epi Les Paul Studio!

I'm not sure why you say Epiphone is priced higher compared to the US though - Guitar Center is selling at $389 which is equivalent to $467 Singapore dollars and Swee Lee is selling at $499 which I assume is inclusive of 7% GST.

Remember that in the States we need to pay sales tax too but they don't list it online!
Sometimes I think it would be nice if we all got together to offer a "guitar inspection service" to people who are interested in having a guitar shipped.

For example Stratos probably doesn't want to purchase a used guitar and have it shipped from my local Guitar Center. The price of shipping is part of it, but I'd guess that an even bigger deterrence is the uncertainty of buying a used guitar that you can't check out for yourself.

Yet I could very easily check a guitar out and give him a report on it. There'd still be some question of the accuracy of my evaluation (and feel is subjective) but I wouldn't have any incentive to lie to him. I could be totally honest. "Don't buy that guitar. Bad neck. Terrible."

I got my Epi LP Std. for 200$. Even with the high cost of international shipping that would be well within Stratos' budget, I would think.

Well it's just an idea.
Stratos - get the best guitar that you can, but don't get too stressed about it. My Epiphone felt pretty good to me on the day I bought it, but now I can tell that it has many problems. I got it for 200$ when similar used models often get priced at 300$ or higher. I knew from the price alone that something might be fishy, but I really couldn't tell the difference and I knew as well that there would be at least a minimum standard of quality for most LP Standards.

In truth - your first guitar is not going to be a great guitar. Accept that before you do anything else. Learning what's wrong with your guitar is a part of the process.

If you anticipate that you'll always have a limited budget then you should pay close attention to how well a guitar will maintain re-sale value. An Epiphone may retain value better than other brands.
i think the g400 and lp studio are meant to be pretty good, and a pretty big step up from a LP100. I haven't tried those specific models, though.

i haven't tried swing.

The cort cr250 seems to be a step up from the cr100 (in much the same way as the epiphones), but again I haven't tried those specific models.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by guitarsngear
I would say stay away from the Epiphone LP100 – it is basically junk with strings on it. Also based on the specs and what I could find I would scratch the Cort CR-100, Craftsman GS100 off the list.
The swing and the Cort-250 look to have similar specs, I have no experience with swing guitars but have played a few Corts and found them to be decent guitars. To me the Epiphone studio doesn’t impress, the SG G-400 will be a better quality build with better pickups.
Bottom line – if you want the Les Paul shape go with the Cort-250, if you want the SG go with the Epiphone G400. I do think you will probably get a little better guitar out of the G400 over the 250.

The Swing C-1 according to SV Guitars, costs S$345. The Cort CR-250 should cost S$499 according to Swee Lee. But the guy says that the Cort CR-250 won't be available for sale until a long long time. Swee Lee is the only Cort dealer here I'm afraid, so, I put it on the bottom of the list. I won't scratch it yet. Probably I need to find a store that handles imports from Malaysia. S$345 vs S$499 seems too good to be true and my fishiness sense is tingling. Or maybe it's because of the lesser known Swing, compared to Cort?

I've found a review on the Swing C-1. It's in Korean sadly .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBkl5HP695U

Quote by jameskoh123
+1 for the Epi Les Paul Studio!

I'm not sure why you say Epiphone is priced higher compared to the US though - Guitar Center is selling at $389 which is equivalent to $467 Singapore dollars and Swee Lee is selling at $499 which I assume is inclusive of 7% GST.

Remember that in the States we need to pay sales tax too but they don't list it online!

Ahh, yes, that makes sense! I've seen the reviews on UG and it's basically very durable. Survives drops, etc.

Quote by paul.housley.7
Sometimes I think it would be nice if we all got together to offer a "guitar inspection service" to people who are interested in having a guitar shipped.

For example Stratos probably doesn't want to purchase a used guitar and have it shipped from my local Guitar Center. The price of shipping is part of it, but I'd guess that an even bigger deterrence is the uncertainty of buying a used guitar that you can't check out for yourself.

Yet I could very easily check a guitar out and give him a report on it. There'd still be some question of the accuracy of my evaluation (and feel is subjective) but I wouldn't have any incentive to lie to him. I could be totally honest. "Don't buy that guitar. Bad neck. Terrible."

I got my Epi LP Std. for 200$. Even with the high cost of international shipping that would be well within Stratos' budget, I would think.

Well it's just an idea.
Stratos - get the best guitar that you can, but don't get too stressed about it. My Epiphone felt pretty good to me on the day I bought it, but now I can tell that it has many problems. I got it for 200$ when similar used models often get priced at 300$ or higher. I knew from the price alone that something might be fishy, but I really couldn't tell the difference and I knew as well that there would be at least a minimum standard of quality for most LP Standards.

In truth - your first guitar is not going to be a great guitar. Accept that before you do anything else. Learning what's wrong with your guitar is a part of the process.

If you anticipate that you'll always have a limited budget then you should pay close attention to how well a guitar will maintain re-sale value. An Epiphone may retain value better than other brands.

Hahaha, it's pretty hard having to live in Asia. Buying stuff online has a pretty ridiculous shipping price. I expect a $200 guitar, which is expensive brand new to have problems.

How old was the Les Paul when you bought it? How old is it now? Did it hold up well? That aside, I don't think that I'll plan to re-sell my first ever electric guitar though. Besides, it's pretty hard to find a buyer here.

I've been deciding on what guitar to buy for 4-5 months, hahaha. I guess it's an overkill.

Quote by Dave_Mc
i think the g400 and lp studio are meant to be pretty good, and a pretty big step up from a LP100. I haven't tried those specific models, though.

i haven't tried swing.

The cort cr250 seems to be a step up from the cr100 (in much the same way as the epiphones), but again I haven't tried those specific models.

Alright, I guess I'll scratch the LP100 and the CR100. Maybe I should've made a poll... Hmm...
Quote by stratos210

it's pretty hard having to live in Asia.

I visited Singapore during Christmas in 2001. I stayed at the Pan-Pacific. The girls working at the bar were wearing dresses that made me want to fall to my knees. They looked like the traditional Chinese dresses. Gorgeous.

The city was great too, but I took exception to the one restaurant that I went to that was supposedly serving "American" food. I ordered a cheeseburger and french fries and - well - I don't think i could've screwed it up that bad if I had tried.

How do I describe this to the American folks...?
The french fries were shaped just like McDonalds fries, but they tasted the way McDonalds fries taste if you try to eat one a day or two later.
The ketchup didn't taste like ketchup. I don't know what it tasted like.
The burger was probably made out of fish-meal. Not entirely serious, but not entirely joking either.

Anyways - the restaurant story aside - I LOVED Singapore. Great city. Would like to go there again.

My Epiphone is a very solidly constructed guitar that has held up pretty well. It is rugged if nothing else. It had frets that needed to be leveled and crowned. It has electronics that really ought to be replaced. It has a nut that's not quite right. The bridge is positioned improperly but it's close enough that I was able to intonate it by flipping the saddle on two strings.
I hope that answers your question.
Quote by paul.housley.7
I visited Singapore during Christmas in 2001. I stayed at the Pan-Pacific. The girls working at the bar were wearing dresses that made me want to fall to my knees. They looked like the traditional Chinese dresses. Gorgeous.

The city was great too, but I took exception to the one restaurant that I went to that was supposedly serving "American" food. I ordered a cheeseburger and french fries and - well - I don't think i could've screwed it up that bad if I had tried.

How do I describe this to the American folks...?
The french fries were shaped just like McDonalds fries, but they tasted the way McDonalds fries taste if you try to eat one a day or two later.
The ketchup didn't taste like ketchup. I don't know what it tasted like.
The burger was probably made out of fish-meal. Not entirely serious, but not entirely joking either.

Anyways - the restaurant story aside - I LOVED Singapore. Great city. Would like to go there again.

My Epiphone is a very solidly constructed guitar that has held up pretty well. It is rugged if nothing else. It had frets that needed to be leveled and crowned. It has electronics that really ought to be replaced. It has a nut that's not quite right. The bridge is positioned improperly but it's close enough that I was able to intonate it by flipping the saddle on two strings.
I hope that answers your question.

I'm glad you had a pleasant experience in Singapore overall! Although I have to apologize that some of the people and the traditions here might be considered very rude for Westerners (especially the Chinese grandpa/grandmas who tend hawker center stalls. Some won't even serve you because you don't speak Chinese).

And yes, it does answer my question, thank you very much!
+1 for the g400, better pickups and the coil tap will offer more tone variations for you. As mentioned above, as long as you avoid the bargain basement of the epiphone line then they're pretty good guitars
Quote by jecooper86
+1 for the g400, better pickups and the coil tap will offer more tone variations for you. As mentioned above, as long as you avoid the bargain basement of the epiphone line then they're pretty good guitars

I heard that the G400 is neck heavy. But is it as bad as people say?
^ I suspect it depends on the specific guitars. I think SGs in general have a bit of a rep for neck-dive. Mine (Gibson, I haven't tried the Epi version, I got a crazy good deal on mine online that I couldn't pass ) doesn't seem too bad, though i use a leather strap with it which can help a bit with the neck dive issues.

Quote by stratos210

Alright, I guess I'll scratch the LP100 and the CR100. Maybe I should've made a poll... Hmm...

I wouldn't worry too much about the poll. It lets people comment anonymously- you don't know if they know what they're talking about, they might even be trolling you, voting the wrong one for badness (unlikely but not impossible).

At least when people have to post their thoughts you can sort of make a half-informed judgement as to what they're like or if they're full of it. It's not foolproof, but it's a lot better than the zero information you get with a poll.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 28, 2015,
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ I suspect it depends on the specific guitars. I think SGs in general have a bit of a rep for neck-dive. Mine (Gibson, I haven't tried the Epi version, I got a crazy good deal on mine online that I couldn't pass ) doesn't seem too bad, though i use a leather strap with it which can help a bit with the neck dive issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about the poll. It lets people comment anonymously- you don't know if they know what they're talking about, they might even be trolling you, voting the wrong one for badness (unlikely but not impossible).

At least when people have to post their thoughts you can sort of make a half-informed judgement as to what they're like or if they're full of it. It's not foolproof, but it's a lot better than the zero information you get with a poll.

Oooohh, did you do any modifications to it? Is it that severe on the Gibson? From what I've heard on the G400 is that when you use a strap and you let go of both hands, the neck would hit the ground hard. But hahaha, I've found no trolls so far, so that's a good sign
Quote by stratos210
Oooohh, did you do any modifications to it? Is it that severe on the Gibson? From what I've heard on the G400 is that when you use a strap and you let go of both hands, the neck would hit the ground hard. But hahaha, I've found no trolls so far, so that's a good sign

The neck dive, as Dave said, is very dependent on the specific example you have. Some are worse then others.

Gibsons generally don't seem to get it as badly.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
My vote goes to the G400. Definitely stay away from the low-end Epiphones. I have a 'Custom' version. The electronics weren't the greatest ever, but the quality has probably improved since I bought mine.
haven't tried an epiphone SG, i've tried a couple of gibsons and recommended the G400 just from the spec sheet and having played a similar shape.

If you get the chance to try it first then great, otherwise i wouldn't let the potential neck dive stop you, it's still a very popular guitar after all so can't be that much of an issue.
Quote by nathan:-)
My vote goes to the G400. Definitely stay away from the low-end Epiphones. I have a 'Custom' version. The electronics weren't the greatest ever, but the quality has probably improved since I bought mine.

What about Epi Les Paul Standards? How does it compared to the G400?

I've found someone who wants to sell their Epiphone Les Paul Standard for S$480 including a straplock and a gigbag, that's around USD 383.

Body:

Headstock:

Serial Number: 13091506087

It's 1 year old. The seller used to be a guitarist for another band, but he's now playing as a bassist on another band, so he needs to sell that guitar to gain the money to buy a bass.

The condition is 9.5/10 as he says. It's suffered through 5 jam sessions and 1 live show, and probably hours of solo practice.

Is it very used? Should I ask for much lower?
The G400 was my first guitar too (that was some 17 years ago though, a new G400 may not be the same).

I found it a really good guitar to learn on. It's pretty flat and light and has slightly bevelled edges, overall much more comfortable than an LP. Upper fret access is very good on an SG and very bad on an LP, although you may never need that, most probably not in the beginning. Neck thickness may play a role, but I can't really tell which specific Gibson model uses which, but I think most LPs have a thicker neck than most SGs. My old G400 has a slim neck which I find, again, very comfortable, but many prefer thicker necks.

Neck dive is an issue, although nothing that bothered me much. But that may be because that's what I learned to play with in the first place, I might have found it really annoying if I learned on another guitar.

Overall in my opinion it's a very beginner-friendly guitar, and not only for beginners. I still have mine, one day I installed Seymour Duncan Phat Cat pickups and now it's a pretty great blues/rock guitar with loads of punch.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by stratos210
What about Epi Les Paul Standards? How does it compared to the G400?

I imagine (as i said, I haven't tried the g400) they're meant to be similar quality, just one is a les paul and the other is an sg (and the les paul is a bit more expensive to make, so that explains the increase in price). Les pauls are a bit heavier etc. than SGs and have worse upper-fret access. On the other hand I always suspect I prefer the tone of Les Pauls (though others will disagree), I think the maple top helps add a bit of brightness which I like. EDIT: the epi LPs might only have a maple veneer which won't affect the tone the way a thicker maple top will. So maybe ignore what I said there.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 29, 2015,
The Epi LP standard is a decent guitar as well, either the standard or the G400 and you will be happy. I know the LPs don't have neck dive issues, and personally I like the looks of a LP over an SG - although it doesn't affect anything - the more you like the looks of a guitar, the more you will pick it up and play it. If you do go G400 add some small weights into the electronics cavity to counter the neck dive.
Quote by guitarsngear
The Epi LP standard is a decent guitar as well, either the standard or the G400 and you will be happy. I know the LPs don't have neck dive issues, and personally I like the looks of a LP over an SG - although it doesn't affect anything - the more you like the looks of a guitar, the more you will pick it up and play it. If you do go G400 add some small weights into the electronics cavity to counter the neck dive.

I might be a bias person but I prefer the les paul shape hahaha. So, i guess i'll take the used epiphone then. For les paul copies, we have Swing and Craftsman. Swing is a new korean brand, while Craftsman is a Singaporean brand. They are more affordable than the epi lp std (even used), but the reviews on them seems scarce. Well anyways, are there any guitar you would reccomend? Which do you think is better. A new epi lp studio or a 1 year, mediumly used epi lp std?
Quote by stratos210
I might be a bias person but I prefer the les paul shape hahaha. So, i guess i'll take the used epiphone then. For les paul copies, we have Swing and Craftsman. Swing is a new korean brand, while Craftsman is a Singaporean brand. They are more affordable than the epi lp std (even used), but the reviews on them seems scarce. Well anyways, are there any guitar you would reccomend? Which do you think is better. A new epi lp studio or a 1 year, mediumly used epi lp std?

Definitely the used Standard.
Generally with used guitars there won't be any problems. If it's been dropped or had a dodgy repair you will likely be able to find it. If it sounds like crap and feels like crap you'll know.
The Standard has binding, mother of pearl inlays, pickup covers (not sure if this matters, but I think a guitar just looks cheap without them, except for zebra pups ) and in general will be a better guitar.
Any of the Gibson/Epiphone 'studio' models are generally good guitars, but they just don't seem to have the same appeal as the perty-looking standard models.
Plus if you buy the standard it's already had some depreciation, it'll be a lot less of a loss selling a guitar you bought used than selling one you bought new.