Hi
I'm looking at buying a Marshall MG100HCFX (100watts) amp head to power my Marshall 4x12 MX412A (240 watts) and what I'd like to know is if this amp head is going to be okay to power my cab and get a good heavy sound out of it.

I play heavier stuff, but not like death metal stuff. Just want to get a good sound for stuff like Nirvana, Foo Fighters, Melvins, Silverchair, Alice in Chains and maybe Pink floyd stuff.

My budget it is $500 to maybe $600

Someone PLEASE just give me an answer
Don't buy that head, it's garbage. Where are you from? Europe, America?
For the Melvins something like an Orange OR15 would be good. Whilst a cab of your choice but it must have somethung like Celestion V30's.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jan 27, 2015,
I live in Australia man. Ive been looking at youtube demos of it and it seems fine?
ANythin seems better then my current one that im selling, its a Hughes and kettner vortex black series

What do you suggest???
Quote by caffeine dream
I live in Australia man. Ive been looking at youtube demos of it and it seems fine?
ANythin seems better then my current one that im selling, its a Hughs and kettner vortext black series

What do you suggest???

That thing(The MG) is on the same level as a Line 6 Spider. H&k is loads better than that.
Check my edit, you'll see some stuff I recommend.
Fly on, fly on
the H&K head I have is total garbage though. It cant handle distortion at all! its out put is 80watts
Compared to the MG it's brilliant. Any preferences, solid state, tube, 2x12, 4x12, combo?
Fly on, fly on
Well, I havent had much experience with amps. I currently have a fender frontman 212r and I love it. And I have this Marshall 4x12 cabinet and the head (H&K) is absolutely crap. Believe me its crap.I just want a new head that will sound a lot better and isnt over $1000 I guess.
Yeah marshall MG's sound bad.
Some H&K sound bad as well - the vortex for example.

Can you find any marshall DSL in your budget?
Or a mesa recto, be it single, double, tremoverb...
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Im thinking I might haveto buy the DSL head now..

What difference does wattage on a head make? Like.. The DSL15 watts and the DSL100 watts-
Does it matter what one would power my cab?

Haha someone just tell me the general rule for powering cabs with head (im a noob with these amps) Though i do know that youre not meant to have more power in the head than power the in the cab
Dump all that scheit and get a Jet city 1x12, Orange Terror, or a Peavey Vypyr. Real amps instead of the "all foam/no beer stuff".
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Look into some Orange amps as well. The OR15 for example or a Tiny Terror, hell, even a Dark Terror. The cab is decent for now. Trust me, you think the Vortex is bad, wait till you play the MG.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Dump all that scheit and get a Jet city 1x12, Orange Terror, or a Peavey Vypyr. Real amps instead of the "all foam/no beer stuff".

Care to explain?
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jan 27, 2015,
Haha, yeah Ive just found a used marshall dsl head for $600 that I might be able to get

"Cajundaddy"
Ive seen that show Cajun Pawnstars and Ive seen enough of it to know theyre all whack
Quote by caffeine dream
Haha, yeah Ive just found a used marshall dsl head for $600 that I might be able to get

"Cajundaddy"
Ive seen that show Cajun Pawnstars and Ive seen enough of it to know theyre all whack

Get it then. It's a great thing. Is it the big 100watt version?
Fly on, fly on
Quote by caffeine dream
Ive been looking at youtube demos of it and it seems fine??

You can make almost anything sound good on YouTube....trust what these guys are telling you...you won't like a MG
Randall RM100(Recto/KH-2/XTC)
Peavey 5150 212
Peavey 6505+112(head)
Peavey VTM 120
Peavey Windsor
Crate GX-130C
Randall RG100ES
Randall RH300G3
Randall RX120RH
POD HD500
Yeah its the 100watt one. I just hope its there in a months time since its a 4 hour drive away from me.. Also, I need to sell one of my guitars before I can Afford it haha

Its an Eastwood Hi flyer phase 4
Quote by caffeine dream
Im thinking I might haveto buy the DSL head now..

What difference does wattage on a head make? Like.. The DSL15 watts and the DSL100 watts-
Does it matter what one would power my cab?

Haha someone just tell me the general rule for powering cabs with head (im a noob with these amps) Though i do know that youre not meant to have more power in the head than power the in the cab

You want a used DSL 100 idealy.

The general rule for powering cabs is that the watts of the cab need to be equal to or greater than the amp head.

There are exceptions to every rule but to keep it simple this is all you need to follow. Then there is this as it relates to ohms. General rule is to alway match ohms:

For Tube amps:
Amp Head Ohms > Cab Ohms = Possible blown Power Valves and/or Output Transformer.
Amp Head Ohms < Cab Ohms = Strain on the Output Transformer, Power loss.
*Some amps can take a 1 step mismatch but not all.

For Solid State Amps:
Amp Head Ohms > Cab Ohms = Broken amp
Amp Head Ohms < Cab Ohms = Power change, no strain
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 27, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
The DSL is regarded as a fairly good sounding amp AFAIK, and so are recto's
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
The DSL is regarded as a fairly good sounding amp AFAIK, and so are recto's

No problem with either of those but he currently owns an H&K and was looking at an MG in his OP, not a DSL or Recto. Probably out of his budget though. Follow the thread timeline SB.

He needs an MG and a 4x12 like a hole in the head. All foam, no beer.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Jan 27, 2015,
Quote by Cajundaddy
No problem with either of those but he currently owns an H&K and was looking at an MG in his OP, not a DSL or Recto. Probably out of his budget though. Follow the thread timeline SB.

He needs an MG and a 4x12 like a hole in the head. All foam, no beer.

I agree on getting a proper amp, but Peavey Yypyr, really? It's a modelling amp, not a real tube/solid state one.

Quote by caffeine dream
So if i buy the DSL100, there will be no chance of it blowing up when i crank it?

Yes. Just match the ohms on the back of the amp with the ohms of the cab.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
I agree on getting a proper amp, but Peavey Yypyr, really? It's a modelling amp, not a real tube/solid state one.

The TS is clearly a newby with limited funds. A good candidate for a Vypyr 60 with tubes that does Metal pretty well within his budget. It would not be my 1st choice but as modeling amps go it is a good one. Light years ahead of H&K or MG.

So many amps, so little time...

Quote by Cajundaddy
The TS is clearly a newby with limited funds. A good candidate for a Vypyr 60 with tubes that does Metal pretty well within his budget. It would not be my 1st choice but as modeling amps go it is a good one. Light years ahead of H&K or MG.

So many amps, so little time...

I wouldn't call TS a newbie. He has a 4x12 with Heritage speakers.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Also a computer is not a real tube/solid state one, though it has its advantages.

Seriously, go trying a vypyr tube.
I tried an alchemist side by side with a vypyr tube 60 and I would have had no regrets buying the vypyr.
Hell, I'd have bought it on the spot if I didn't need the money for other stuff.
Quote by Fryderyczek
I wouldn't call TS a newbie. He has a 4x12 with Heritage speakers.
And a pretty cheap SS H&K.

Also the MX412 uses G12E-60's, not heritage's.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by caffeine dream
whats the deal with the jcm 2000? is it the same as the dsl?

It is a JCM 2000 DSL100

The older DSLs fall under the JCM 2000 series.

PS: I have a Vypyr tube 60 and I can tell you the frickin thing rocks - especially for metal. Loud as fak - you'd have not problem gigging with it.
Quote by Spambot_2

Also the MX412 uses G12E-60's, not heritage's.

I read on the Marshall Page it had Heritage's.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I have a Vypyr tube 60 and I can tell you the frickin thing rocks - especially for metal. Loud as fak - you'd have not problem gigging with it.

+1

That amp has balls. Definitely worth a look and without spending any $$ on pedals he could go out and gig with it and start earning some $$.

Fryderczek-
Spambot is right. No heritage in the MX cab. It doesn't totally suck like an MG412 but one real 12" Celestion fed by a nice tube amp would make a huge leap in tone compared with 4 so-so speakers that happen to handle a lot of power.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MX412A?adpos=1o1&creative=55281337921&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=COvKmoOTtcMCFRSFfgodYG8ArA