Whats up guys. So I have a bit of a tight budget at the moment, but I really want to get a new amp that is capable for not only jamming in my bedroom, but gigging. I really want a Keith Urban, Brad Paisley type of twang. Also want it to be able to get a nice distortion. Have you tried any amps under 500 dollars that could possibly get me that? I've got a Tele so it won't be hard for me to get a twang sound, but want a good amp to achieve it. Thanks
Ever heard of the Vox VR series?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AC30VR?adpos=1o1&creative=55281338881&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CIjcs43ctMMCFZE1aQodlzAAyw

The distortion in it isn't the greatest but it still has that good twangy AC clean tone. With that being the case it should take OD/distortion pedals really well.
Peavey Valveking would work well for what you want and if bought used leave you with a fair amount of money. really good clean channel and the drive channel will provide you with far more than you will need in that dept. get twang from my strat using one (not that I do that much but the old lady like country).
Quote by JBailey23
Ever heard of the Vox VR series?
I would advise against that - the power section plays a considerable part in the sound of AC's.

Also for that money TS could get a used AC15.

I'd suggest a blackheart BH15 + a 1x12" or 2x12" cab with greenback's or similar.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
I would advise against that - the power section plays a considerable part in the sound of AC's.

True.
I got my fender frontman solid state for like 150 used and it's got plenty of twang and beautiful cleans

edit: I should note that the distortion in my amp is shit but it takes pedals really well. I usually use a vintage bassman with a 2x12 cab but when I'm lazy I just take the little frontman combo (which is probably louder than the bassman) and sounds perfectly fine with pedal distortion
Last edited by Jmoarguitar at Jan 27, 2015,
Almost any Fender tube amp wil be perfect, that's probably what those guys are using in the studio, and the Peavey Classic 30 and Classic 50 both do a great job as well. The Classic 30 is a little too bright for me, I Passed a deal on one years ago, then found out later I could have dome a pretty simple mod on it for 5 bucks...the guy wanted $125, I should have grabbed it. Don't know what they go for now, last time I saw a Peavey Classic 50 at a pawn shop it was $250 I think.

If you can find one, the Peavey MX is clean as they get and the 65 watt combo is a good amp, but I've seen very few over the years. I have the 130 watt head, it's twang city...plug in a Telecaster and it's a great sounding rig.

Basically, to duplicate the sound you're describing, it's done in the studio by plugging a Telecaster or Strat into a Fender tube amp. Some of the higher gain amps like Mesa and Marshall will do it, if you're careful, but the way to go is Fender and Peavey amps, I think even the 5150 clean channel will do in a pinch. Most of the other Peavey amps are not designed for high gain, and should do fine. I know the Classic 50 will do it, I've heard those plenty times. If you're willing to go with a used amp that may be worth looking into.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by Spambot_2

I'd suggest a blackheart BH15 + a 1x12" or 2x12" cab with greenback's or similar.

I would go for this.

Or the Peavey Classic 30.
These will get you in the room if you got the chops:

Super Champ XD (Brent Mason)
Hot Rod Deluxe (Vince Gill)
Classic 30 (Paisley)
Musicman 112 RD 50 (Albert Lee)
Twin (James Burton)
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY