Hey everyone

I'm working on building up a pedalboard, and I'm wanting opinions on what I should get next. I play mostly blues and blues influenced rock, and also funk stuff. I don't go really heavy distortion wise. I currently the equipment in my signature.

So, right now I am looking for a fuzz pedal, but I'm not really sure where to go from there. I think that a compresser might be nice for funk, but I'm not positive.

Who wants to give their opinion on which to get next?

Thanks
Peavey Classic 30
PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow
+some pedals
I don't personally like compressors. They are kind of a give and take soundwise. Fuzz are awesome.

If it may help, generally speaking there are three big fuzz families. Muffs, Benders and Fuzz faces. Maybe you can go from there and see which type you like best and then narrow it to a pedal in particular.
Funk stuff?

Yes get a compressor.
Something with controls.

3630 if you don't care for the pedal form, else I'd say a suhr koji for both ease of use and sound, though some have had pretty good experiences with the diamond compressor.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I'd suggest some sorta Fuzz Face type pedal for fuzzy blues. What about a delay pedal? You can use a delay pedal as a reverb or chorus in a pinch, delay is plenty versatile.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by lucky1978
I'd suggest some sorta Fuzz Face type pedal for fuzzy blues. What about a delay pedal? You can use a delay pedal as a reverb or chorus in a pinch, delay is plenty versatile.

There's a hardwire dl-8 delay thats for sale used near me. Do you know anything about it?

Also a mfz-1 clone for the fuzz, it sounds nice.
Peavey Classic 30
+some pedals
Yeah I have the DL-8. It's a really solid delay. It can give you loads of time on it, and it's got a lot of other modes - the analog setting is solid, I also love the tape lo-fi. Plus it's got a looper on it which is always good to have. I would so go for it.
Okay, I contacted him. Just waiting to hear back
Peavey Classic 30
+some pedals
Check out the Double Muff. It's like an overdrive/fuzz hybrid. Pretty flexible pedal for having only two knobs.

If I didn't have that, I'd probably have a Big Muff Pi w/Tone Wicker.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
For Fuzz my 4 favorites are Univox Super Fuzz, Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz, Analogman Sunface, and DBA Fuzz War, but that MFZ-1 sounds pretty dope. Might have to see if I can build a clone of it or something.

The Super Fuzz usually has a lot of clones floating around (just saw one for $95 on Reverb). I think I saw some Axis Fuzz clones on there too.

All of them except the DBA are classic fuzz tones ala 60s-70s. That's the era I think I like the most when it comes to fuzz. Fuzz is one of those things (Univibe also) that you really can't go half-assed with or you're going to end up hating them...
Guy replied back about the delay and said he sold it. damn
Peavey Classic 30
+some pedals
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Here is something with controls
Something with comprehensive controls labeled with the name of the parameter they control.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Wampler Velvet Fuzz!! Check out the demos on YouTube, if you play a lot of blues rock you'll want to buy one asap.
Quote by George Juggles
... I don't go really heavy distortion wise...

So, right now I am looking for a fuzz pedal, but I'm not really sure where to go from there.

Lol what? The only distortion you'll need for blues-rock and funk is a moderate overdrive. Look into the Soul Food by EHX or the Klon V2 by Arc Effects. You might want to get a Tubescreamer to boost your tone as well.

As for the comp, look into the Wampler Ego Compressor. It has a few parameters like blend and attack that you might not find on other comps. The Walrus Audio Deep Six has blend and attack as well.

Delay and reverb are always a standard. Maybe you could find a small combo pedal for both. The Nebula by Noisemaker seems pretty solid.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 28, 2015,
Blues, blues rock & funk?

A tuner, wah, phaser, od & digital delay with subdivisions would be the first ones I'd get.
Quote by Spambot_2
Something with comprehensive controls labeled with the name of the parameter they control.

He tells you the relation between the controls' names and what they control in the video. Probsbly also in the manual.

Welcome to the world of boutique pedals.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 28, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
Lol what? The only distortion you'll need for blues-rock and funk is a moderate overdrive. Look into the Soul Food by EHX or the Klon V2 by Arc Effects. You might want to get a Tubescreamer to boost your tone as well.

a soul food's a good call, but fuzz is very useful as well for classic rock I think. Certain types of classic rock, anyway.

(unless that's not what you were saying, I took it that you were saying he didn't need a fuzz, i might have misinterpreted what you meant )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?