anyone got tips for learning legato at the moment I am doing 3 strings , Does it matter what order you hit that first string like do you move from one string to the other hitting down with the pick or more of an alt pick ?
I start at the 1st note with a down stroke with the pick and let the rest be hammer ons and pull offs with the left hand.

Mostly I do all 6 strings going down with hammer ons and then back up from the high E with pull offs instead but still only 1 down pick on that 1st note.

That is how Troy Stetina explains it in Speed Mechanics and it works if you apply a metronome!
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Jan 27, 2015,
pick down does help I am hoping to do fast legato but starting off slow , would it be ok to do down pick going down and up picks going up like when you sweep picking ,
You should really be able to choose what you do. Personally I actually spend more time playing those kinds of ideas with hybrid picking than anything else these days but that's out of preference rather than technical need. Practice everything as many different ways as you can think of.

That said... it really depends how much time you have and what you're practising, some ideas lend themselves more to particular ways of picking so if you don't have much time then focusing on the most economical way of picking a certain idea makes more sense than practising every variation on a lick you can find.

What are you actually playing? Can you tab out the lick?
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You should really be able to choose what you do. Personally I actually spend more time playing those kinds of ideas with hybrid picking than anything else these days but that's out of preference rather than technical need. Practice everything as many different ways as you can think of.

That said... it really depends how much time you have and what you're practising, some ideas lend themselves more to particular ways of picking so if you don't have much time then focusing on the most economical way of picking a certain idea makes more sense than practising every variation on a lick you can find.

What are you actually playing? Can you tab out the lick?
basically I alt pick all the time Instead or alt picking a scale run or pattern I will add Legato instead, I feel comfortable doing a sweep motion If I decided on going up and down the run fast many times .