I've found someone who wants to sell their Epiphone Les Paul Standard for S$480 including a straplock and a gigbag, that's around USD 383.

Body:

Headstock:

Serial Number: 13091506087

It's 1 year old as he says. The seller used to be a guitarist for another band, but he's now playing as a bassist on another band, so he needs to sell that guitar to gain the money to buy a bass.

It's suffered through 5 jam sessions and 1 live show.

How about that?
Last edited by stratos210 at Jan 28, 2015,
The guitar itself looks legit. I cannot see anything that would indicate that its fake.

But $383? What is he smoking? In the US, these guitars can be bought for $400 brand new! And $250 used all day in good shape.

Where are you located?
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 28, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
The guitar itself looks legit. I cannot see anything that would indicate that its fake.

But $383? What is he smoking? In the US, these guitars can be bought for $400 brand new! And $250 used all day in good shape.

Where are you located?

Oh, sorry hahaha! I forgot to tell that USD 383 includes a gig bag and a Planet Wave Lock strap. I'll edit the post!

The cost of the guitar brand new here is S$559, around USD 447 though.

http://www.sweelee.com.sg/epiphone-les-paul-standard-electric-guitar-rosewood-neck-ebony.html
$383 is still far too much money. Straplocks do not add value to the guitar.

And most gig bags used are hardly worth anything to write home about.

EDIT: I did a little googling and based on your 'S$' currency, you're from Singapore. That explains the inflated price of the guitar.

As a general rule, the resale value of most guitars in good condition is just less than half what the guitar costs brand new. So honestly $280 would be a fair deal w/ the gig bag.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
$383 is still far too much money. Straplocks do not add value to the guitar.

And most gig bags used are hardly worth anything to write home about.

EDIT: I did a little googling and based on your 'S$' currency, you're from Singapore. That explains the inflated price of the guitar.

As a general rule, the resale value of most guitars in good condition is just less than half what the guitar costs brand new. So honestly $280 would be a fair deal.

So... Maybe I'll cut around S$30 from the price for the straplocks and the gig bag. That would make the guitar S$450, around USD 359. A 1 year old guitar seems pretty new for me though.

This is his original ad btw.

Maybe I should ask for a lower price? How much should I lower the price?
Its hard to say because supply and demand are really what gives a guitar its true resale value and how much a guitar depreciates, and I have no idea what the score is on Epiphones in Singapore. I'd place a bet that the supply of Epiphones in Singapore is far less than in places like the US and the UK, and their demand is also higher. So in hindsight I've probably given you an asking price that is too low. Ignore the asking price I've just given you.

I honestly don't know. $350 could well be reasonable. You'll need to ask a person who is more informed than I am on Singaporean guitar values. I've simply never had a reason to know about that sort of thing.
Quote by TheSennaj
I have this exact modal. Out of my four Epiphone Les Paul's this one is my 2nd favorite. Great sustain and after a neck adjustment and cleaning the action is really low and nice to play. I bought mine for about $200.00 on Ebay but I must admit that it was in poor playing condition when I got it. However after a good cleaning and set up it is vey nice. I think paying $300.00 is the going price on a used Epi Les Paul Standard in nice condition, at least in my neck of the woods.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Jan 28, 2015,
Quote by Rickholly74
I have this exact modal. Out of my four Epiphone Les Paul's this one is my 2nd favorite. Great sustain and after a neck adjustment and cleaning the action is really low and nice to play. I bought mine for about $200.00 on Ebay but I must admit that it was in poor playing condition when I got it. However after a good cleaning and set up it is vey nice. I think paying $300.00 is the going price on a used Epi Les Paul Standard in nice condition, at least in my neck of the woods.

I did a research on the serial number, and it turns out to be made in China. Should I be worried? Is the price too high?
Quote by stratos210
I did a research on the serial number, and it turns out to be made in China. Should I be worried?

Most Epiphones these days are made in China.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by Rickholly74

For comparison, the price of a 1959 Epiphone Les Paul is S$700, which is about 559 USD
WTS Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard

Epiphone Ltd. Ed. 2014 Les Paul Traditional PRO for S$600 (479 USD)
Epiphone Ltd. Ed. 2014 Les Paul Traditional PRO (Ebony)

Gibson Les Paul Standard Honeyburst Plain Top for S$2100 (1679 USD)
WTS Gibson Les Paul Standard Honeyburst Plain Top

Epiphone Les Paul Special II GT for S$200 (159 USD)
WTS: Epiphone Special II GT (Black)

Does it give you a rough idea on what the Epiphone Les Paul Standard should cost here? 1 year old, made in Guang Zhou, 5 gigs, 1 live show, maybe a hefty amount of solo practice.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Most Epiphones these days are made in China.

Ahh, alright then.
Do you have a good straight-edge? Anything perfectly flat will do. A metal ruler perhaps...

Take it with you. Put it on the fretboard up near the nut. Do it on both edges and in between the strings. You're not trying to nitpick the hell out of the guitar, just look really close at it to see if the neck is straight.
Move the ruler down toward the body and see if the neck is straight down there too.

Then put the ruler away and look for flat spots on the frets. Particularly look at the second and third fret. They're probably fine but it doesn't hurt to check. Finally play every single fret of every single string. You should be able to hear a change in pitch every time. If you play two frets that sound exactly the same then that's a sign of a problem. If one fret sounds really muffled then it's a smaller problem. If one fret buzzes a little bit it might be a problem, but it might just be low action, low string tension, or just something related to the owner's preference.

Finally plug it in to an amp and make sure sound is coming out. Turn all the knobs all the way up and switch between the pickups too. Turn the volume and tone knobs down and listen for crackle or fuzziness.

Even if you find a problem or two, an Epiphone LP Std. has decent hardware for a beginner. You can try reading this thread:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/14714-complete-epi-custom-setup.html

If this makes sense to you and doesn't intimidate you at all then you should understand what it takes to make that guitar play nicely.
Last edited by paul.housley.7 at Jan 28, 2015,
Quote by paul.housley.7
Do you have a good straight-edge? Anything perfectly flat will do. A metal ruler perhaps...

Take it with you. Put it on the fretboard up near the nut. Do it on both edges and in between the strings. You're not trying to nitpick the hell out of the guitar, just look really close at it to see if the neck is straight.
Move the ruler down toward the body and see if the neck is straight down there too.

Then put the ruler away and look for flat spots on the frets. Particularly look at the second and third fret. They're probably fine but it doesn't hurt to check. Finally play every single fret of every single string. You should be able to hear a change in pitch every time. If you play two frets that sound exactly the same then that's a sign of a problem. If one fret sounds really muffled then it's a smaller problem. If one fret buzzes a little bit it might be a problem, but it might just be low action, low string tension, or just something related to the owner's preference.

Finally plug it in to an amp and make sure sound is coming out. Turn all the knobs all the way up and switch between the pickups too. Turn the volume and tone knobs down and listen for crackle or fuzziness.

Even if you find a problem or two, an Epiphone LP Std. has decent hardware for a beginner. You can try reading this thread:
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/14714-complete-epi-custom-setup.html

If this makes sense to you and doesn't intimidate you at all then you should understand what it takes to make that guitar play nicely.

To be honest though, it does look tricky to me as I've never tinkered with guitars before. This would be my first electric guitar, but I'll give it a shot.

Though I can't really test it myself because he'll ship it to me. Maybe I can make him prove that the neck is straight, and make him play a song to make sure it works?
Quote by stratos210
To be honest though, it does look tricky to me as I've never tinkered with guitars before. This would be my first electric guitar, but I'll give it a shot.

Though I can't really test it myself because he'll ship it to me. Maybe I can make him prove that the neck is straight, and make him play a song to make sure it works?

You can't really prove that the guitar 'works' by playing a song on it. But what I would ask the guy is to play each and every fret to hear if they all ring out correctly. If that's a possibility, I would ask about that. However, having very high action on the guitar can hide uneven frets. So any information the seller gives to you regarding that issue can be misleading. I would also ask him to plug the guitar in just to prove that all the electronics work how they should. But if he has played a gig with the guitar, then that suggests that the guitar's electronics work fine anyway.

I think asking him to put a straight edge over the neck is not a terrible idea, but neck straightness is subject to the way the truss rod is set up, so it that can also be misleading. If the neck is bent backwards for instance, that does not mean the guitar is broken, it may simply mean that the guitar needs adjustment.

It kind of goes without saying at this point that you need to do some more research into how guitars work, and to know what to look for, and what to avoid when it comes to guitars. I would've thought it was common sense to do this research before looking at buying anything. But I suppose that if you don't know what you don't know, one can only assume that there are no potential issues.

Once you know what to look for and you like what you see, buy the guitar and cross your fingers. Some guitars come with unforeseen problems that even if you prepare for most circumstances, can emerge. Buying guitars used can be a crapshoot, but its sometimes a risk worth taking. No way to know if it was really worth it until its in your hands.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jan 29, 2015,