Hi everyone.

I recently had a golden opportunity to purchase a Mesa Simulclass 2:90 stereo 2 times 4x6L6 poweramp , from someone selling it for 500€ (almost 570 USD, brand new is 2000€ / 2280 USD) with its 19U-Rack

It's a very good item and it has been revised by a good tube amps repair shop.

With my GT-100 +2x12'' Road King cab it's definitely a good combo, making the on stage installation so easy and prior to everything making me able to have from my gt-100 the stereo render which is just perfect for delays/reverbs...

The best of all ? When I play on stages where the backline is provided, I just have to connect to the poweramp section of the backline amps to retrieve my sound and choose the best output parameter for the GT-100 (Line or Stack return or combo return depending on the amp)

So basically my issue is as follows :
I don't know what to do with my mesa boogie road king 2 head.

It's been a great gear to use for it's clean channels 1 & 2 I used as a basis for the patches on the GT-100, but I never managed to find a good precise tone on the channel 3 & 4 using the Tubes (with diodes it's ok), and the need to step on at least 2 stomps at the same time while changing from a CH1+GT-100(chorus+delay+reverb) patch to a CH2+GT-100(DS+other delay+reverb) makes the on stage performance just like a dancers' one.

I think that I should sell it because for me, all the warmth of the 2:90 tubes + the precision of the GT-100 preamps are providing their best sides to the sound.

Do you think I'm going in the wrong way by thinking the new setting is as good as the old one?
Quote by kevin.nedelec.9
Do you think I'm going in the wrong way by thinking the new setting is as good as the old one?
Yes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pre + power amp setups, though the GT-100 wouldn't be ideal for this if ya ask me - it has good fx but the amp models leave stuff to be desired.

I would also advise against a 2:90 'cause power amps from guitar amps manufacturers are hella overpriced, though the deal is good so you might as well get it and pair it with another pre, but ask yourself:
is there really a pre that's gonna sound as good as the road king 2's pre's?

I'd say not for cleans at least, 'cause it has the same pre as the lone star for the clean section, though to each his own, and if you feel like a pre might be good enough for you then definitely go for it.
Also because a pre + power amp setup would be much more convenient for the reasons you pointed out.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Hi Spambot.

I did purchase the stereo power amp and as the combo with the GT-100 makes it really easy to have every kind of tone you want (http://youtu.be/ngj12degBiE?t=54s ) I can truely say that the difference for a soloist playing alone can be slightly noticeable between the head preamps and the GT-100 ones, but in a band context, none will notice...

I'm actually really close from 311ZOSOVHJH's idea, considering that it might be good to keep it, but recently I met a guitar player telling me that my sounds are good on the GT-100+simulclass and that he uses an axe fx with another tube poweramp since he noticed that in a live band context the difference isn't noticeable...

So basically we go back to the question : should I keep the head for like more basic band uses (pop, blues, hard rock...) where I just need to stay on one preamp all song long ?
Fender Strat US'10 3 tone sunburst
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
Mesa Boogie Road King 2 Head
Mesa Boogie Simulclass 2:90 Stereo Poweramp
LEM G80 2x12 vertical cab
Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 Cabinet
SR TECH JAM 150
The GT preamps work great when using them through a tube poweramp+guitar cab setup. Ive used them bypassing my amps preamp & running through the fx return and been able to match the sound of the actual preamp using the GT sims, it takes some work but yes they are that good, just need to approach them differently.

I'd suggest keeping the Roadking, sell it only if you need the money or if unhappy with it.

With the output select options on the gt, sometimes the right one for a situation might be the odd choice from the list, trying out the different ones helps at times. The natural/advance clean preamp works for dynamic overdrive sounds, turn the gain up & hit it with the natural od sim, using the guitar's volume knob to control the amount of drive.
I honestly can't even imagine trading out a Road King for a Boss pedal and a power amp. I've tried that pedal and it's cool for someone on a budget who can't afford a good amp, but the amp modeling isn't even close to the Road King...
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yeah I agree with everyone else here trading a Roadking for a GT100 is kinda stupid. Why do you need a 200 watt power amp?

You can run the GT100 with the Roadking in 4CM and have the best of both worlds, FX and some amp sims and the tone of the Roadking which completely blows the GT100 out of the watter.

If your wanting to do this for smaller/portability, the Mesa 2:90 power-amp is as heavy or heavier than the head you own.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah I agree with everyone else here trading a Roadking for a GT100 is kinda stupid. Why do you need a 200 watt power amp?

Really I do respect what you think but there's many things like dancing on your pedals that can piss you off with the roadking head use (fx+head channel change+solo FS = 3 stomps for 2 feet = no good transition).
The stereo power amp has been created by mesa to be used with the triaxis preamp, making it a way to have all the mesa amps in one rig. Using another preamp, like with the axe fx or the gt-100 ones will do as good in a band context than mono heads using FX returns and The 2:90 power amp is a stereo power amp, which means 90W/channel so it's like having two 90W amp loaded with the same 4x6L6 than the RK head, not a 200 watt one.

Quote by Robbgnarly
You can run the GT100 with the Roadking in 4CM and have the best of both worlds, FX and some amp sims and the tone of the Roadking which completely blows the GT100 out of the watter.

I did the 4 CM for a while, and I can guarantee that in a band context, you'll see no difference between my gt-100 highly tailored preamps + 2:90 power amp and the road king one.

Quote by Robbgnarly
If your wanting to do this for smaller/portability, the Mesa 2:90 power-amp is as heavy or heavier than the head you own.

Sorry man but the power amp is 15kg, while the RK2 head is 28kg...
The power amp is in a 19U rack which is 1 kg, while the RK2 head is in a 5kg flightcase.
Total weights say the opposite of your statement
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
Last edited by kevin.nedelec.9 at Jan 28, 2015,
I've got a GT-100. Don't do it. Good thing to mate with your Roadking but certainly not good enough to replace it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ippon
I have the RK II and it's not going anywhere; however, if kevin.nedelec.9 sells it to buy even more gear (AxeFX or KPA or whatever else), why not?

I won't buy more gear i think, but i have a tiny music room, and the more space i can get, the better
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
The problem is that the amp sims in the GT-100 aren't that good. Good effects otherwise so it would sit with the Roadking ok but the RK's preamp absolutely slays the GT-100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
keep the roadking. i don't see the reasoning in it.

you appear to be sold on the idea of the boss judging by your posts, but you won't sound as good.

if you want to do it right maybe look into something else for the effects for the roadking, a mobuis for example which i want. you have presets for the effects and it sounds killer. (high on my gas list as you see in my sig).

then you will have the great pre from the mesa and switchable effects that rape boss.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'd keep the Roadking, you might need more colors in the studio, also as second power amp through the fx return in case you need to get work done on the other one.

How about 4 cable method? Did you try that with the Roadking?
Quote by kevin.nedelec.9
Really I do respect what you think but there's many things like dancing on your pedals that can piss you off with the roadking head use (fx+head channel change+solo FS = 3 stomps for 2 feet = no good transition).

You can use something like the Voodoo Lab GCX or the RJM Amp Gizmo to control your Road King with your GT-100.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by diabolical
I'd keep the Roadking, you might need more colors in the studio, also as second power amp through the fx return in case you need to get work done on the other one.

How about 4 cable method? Did you try that with the Roadking?

I did use the 4 CM method, and managed to have really good sound out of the clean channels, but changing from the clean/chorused Verse parts to a high gain/OD/solo setting makes me look like a dancer
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
How many foot switches do you actually use on the RK?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
How many foot switches do you actually use on the RK?

Channel Switch (From 1 to 4) plus GT-100 ones plus the solo switch sometimes...
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
Too many. What you need is something like the Gizmo so you can line up the switches with the patches. Use MIDI then you don't have to dance.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Too many. What you need is something like the Gizmo so you can line up the switches with the patches. Use MIDI then you don't have to dance.

Might be good to take a look at this gizmo
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
Quote by kevin.nedelec.9
Might be good to take a look at this gizmo

Ok man, this gizmo seems to be a really good product. I'm thinking about the "Mini Gizmo" as it could fit in my pedal board...

Does anyone have any good or bad feedback for its procurement in europe as I can't find any 220V power supply version...

I saw I'd need the corresponding cable to replace the FW link

Here is a video for the mark V use
Ibanez JEM 7V WH
Boss GT-100
Voicelive 3
SR TECH JAM 150
Last edited by kevin.nedelec.9 at Jan 30, 2015,