I currently have an Ibanez ART-320 but now want a to buy a new one. The Ibanez is in the £300-£400 bracket but want to upgrade as you do. However my search for les paul guitars keep coming up with the Epiphone Les Paul custom pro.

As a left handed player, it is very hard to to get my hands on any les paul, not alone the epiphone in question - so any thing you can say about it would be really good. The problem i face is that the custom pro is in the same price bracket as my current guitar. Is the epiphone one of those rare guitars that are these gibsons without the price tag (i know they exist somewhere out there). My guitar teacher recommends going for a second hand guitar from the £700-£900 bracket.

So my question really is should i go for the epiphone les paul custom pro as its in the colour i want, or should i keep searching for a second hand one at a high price in hope of higher quality?
I bought my second guitar and my main amp second hand. I got the amp for about a quarter of the price it was new, so you can get some pretty great deals (bear in mind it was 13 years old). The problem with second hand is there won't always be that one guitar you like, or many left handed ones, so you may be looking for a while.

If I were in your situation, I would not buy a new guitar that is the same price range as your Ibanez. Buying second hand can get you a very nice guitar, sometimes already with upgrades for less than you would new. I don't know the prices of guitars in the UK, I'm from Australia where everything is x2 more expensive, but I would go with what your teacher suggests. I would even buy a new guitar in the £700-£900 price range, depending on what used guitars are in your area.
Quote by Mattlong
I currently have an Ibanez ART-320 but now want a to buy a new one. The Ibanez is in the £300-£400 bracket but want to upgrade as you do. However my search for les paul guitars keep coming up with the Epiphone Les Paul custom pro.

As a left handed player, it is very hard to to get my hands on any les paul, not alone the epiphone in question - so any thing you can say about it would be really good. The problem i face is that the custom pro is in the same price bracket as my current guitar. Is the epiphone one of those rare guitars that are these gibsons without the price tag (i know they exist somewhere out there). My guitar teacher recommends going for a second hand guitar from the £700-£900 bracket.

So my question really is should i go for the epiphone les paul custom pro as its in the colour i want, or should i keep searching for a second hand one at a high price in hope of higher quality?

The Epiphone tribute looks great if you want a Les Paul, it has some of the specs of the US Les Pauls but obviously it's an Epi and it's made somewhere else.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
being left-handed complicates things

if you want something as good as (or almost as good as) a gibson for less money consider the japanese copies like tokai (the made in japan ones, they have cheaper non-japanese ones which, in my limited experience, are no better than epiphones). but again getting one left-handed might be awkward.

going used at the price your teacher suggests should get you a good guitar (as long as you check it out properly etc.), but again being left-handed limits the options again.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i don't envy your situation. i am ambidextrous, but am more left handed. i am a righty on guitar though. i was looking at rifles the other day, a lot of the newer ones have right handed concaves in the stock making left handed feel suck. my AK and AR are customized to LH but

anyways, i would maybe look into carvin. they have a good quality (not to mention c ult following). they build what you want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/