looking to order a strat friday. i have two metal guitars, have wanted some sort of strat forever. i probably will throw some high output bridge pickup in there so i can still maybe play some thrash or black metal while also being able to do softer stuff. really want a maple neck though, so keep that in mind.

classic vibes ive seen starting off at $250

lonestar i found one for $350

roadhouse $450

mim starting at round $225 and up.

i just want to know your thoughts strat guys. what would you do?

id like to play some arctic monkeys, white stripes, maybe bluesy style stuff like hendrix or bb king, rock, pop punk, a variety of stuff, seems like a strat can do anything. thanks in advance.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
If you can get a Lonestar for $350, you should absolutely jump on that. Great deal.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
My best thought is that no matter which strat you get, you should Leave It Alone.

Do the Metal with your metal guitars, but leave the strat to do what it does best. Making it a hybrid will be disappointing in the long run.
Quote by dspellman
My best thought is that no matter which strat you get, you should Leave It Alone.

Do the Metal with your metal guitars, but leave the strat to do what it does best. Making it a hybrid will be disappointing in the long run.

why is that?
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by dspellman

http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0145032?siid=133033&gclid=CjwKEAiArqKmBRCOj_qfmuqinnYSJAAkAYwGmozd5R4v-0To5WejMmoPiM6cK71z7esqu_PDaplVFxoCU6zw_wcB

The Lonestar does okay. Plus, he'll want single coils for the other stuff he mentioned.
Quote by JustRooster

damn the lonestar is gone. was gonna jump all over it. will have to consider other options now. bummer.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by dspellman

modded strats are great for metal.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
id really like to know how much better the mim standards are than the classic vibe 50s.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Jan 28, 2015,
Quote by dspellman

agree. the reason being that you want the positives for the strat which aren't really great for metal. if you try for the jack of all trades you end up half assing it in the long run. fender's humbuckers are geared toward cleaner sounds so aren't great for modern metal. pickups that are geared for modern metal usually don't do the "fender" clean thing. that would be the point.

of course a modded strat can be a great metal guitar that is what the whole "super strat" thing is based on. of course they no longer sound like a strat either.

OP get your self a MIM and put the pickups of your choice in it. that way you get a great guitar with the sound you want for an affordable price.
Quote by romeozdistress
id really like to know how much better the mim standards are than the classic vibe 50s.

The Classic Vibes are good enough if you want that vintage sound. If you're modifying to be Metal, I'd highly suggest the MIM, as just about any aftermarket part you'd ever want would bolt right on.
Quote by JustRooster
The Classic Vibes are good enough if you want that vintage sound. If you're modifying to be Metal, I'd highly suggest the MIM, as just about any aftermarket part you'd ever want would bolt right on.

found a 2011 fsr hss with a maple neck in excellent condition. will probably order the fende rlocking tuners and a duncan distortion to go along with it. call it a day. maybe some chrome knobs.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
found a 2011 fsr hss with a maple neck in excellent condition. will probably order the fende rlocking tuners and a duncan distortion to go along with it. call it a day. maybe some chrome knobs.

Sounds like a good thrash/blues hybrid rocker to me!
Quote by JustRooster
Sounds like a good thrash/blues hybrid rocker to me!

lol i went to look at it again and it was sold, that sucks. im sure ill find another though haha. crazy.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
probably doesnt outweight my idea of a mim with a black winter bridge, i think that would be so cool, one minute i can jam out some arctic monkeys, the next break into some emperor or darkthrone.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
probably doesnt outweight my idea of a mim with a black winter bridge, i think that would be so cool, one minute i can jam out some arctic monkeys, the next break into some emperor or darkthrone.

dude i think yu need to kind of make some decisions on what you really want. keep in mind that if you go the strat route that you will only get strat style tones with the neck pickups (middle to but many don't use that for much). if say the Artic Monkeys use bridge pup then you're shit out of luck. this kinda goes back to the leave the Strat a Strat thing discussed before. you will be half assing it if you try to go for such extremes. not saying it can't be done just that as mentioned you may be disappointed. strat bridges aren't the best for the palm mute thing for instance. while i have always stuck by the notion that strats can do metal once you get to the more extreme modern stuff they fall rather short.
Quote by monwobobbo
dude i think yu need to kind of make some decisions on what you really want. keep in mind that if you go the strat route that you will only get strat style tones with the neck pickups (middle to but many don't use that for much). if say the Artic Monkeys use bridge pup then you're shit out of luck. this kinda goes back to the leave the Strat a Strat thing discussed before. you will be half assing it if you try to go for such extremes. not saying it can't be done just that as mentioned you may be disappointed. strat bridges aren't the best for the palm mute thing for instance. while i have always stuck by the notion that strats can do metal once you get to the more extreme modern stuff they fall rather short.

oh really? the bridge is really that bad for palm muting? ive never heard that before. hmm, thats something to think about. either way ive wanted a strat for a long time. i think i can make it work.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
oh really? the bridge is really that bad for palm muting? ive never heard that before. hmm, thats something to think about. either way ive wanted a strat for a long time. i think i can make it work.

yeah it's not ideal. good luck getting the death metal style palm mutes. unlike a gibson style bridge no place to really anchor hand the whole thing is kinda flat. at least with a Floyd you have a spot to positon hand for that. once again not an ideal guitar for modern metal. don't get me wrong i love strats but i also don't play that type of music. 70s early 80s metal works on strat.
Quote by monwobobbo
yeah it's not ideal. good luck getting the death metal style palm mutes. unlike a gibson style bridge no place to really anchor hand the whole thing is kinda flat. at least with a Floyd you have a spot to positon hand for that. once again not an ideal guitar for modern metal. don't get me wrong i love strats but i also don't play that type of music. 70s early 80s metal works on strat.

ahh okay. maybe i can prove you wrong
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress

i have never had a problem with palm muting on a strat.

leave a strat a strat. you have two guitars that cover metal as you said. i don't see why switching guitars is a big deal. i have 20 electrics. they have a purpose and fit for themselves. my strat and teles are all SC's. most all others are HH or HSH.

the bridge position of a strat is one big part of a strat. the 4th position is very common. yo u will lose it, and the raw bridge position treble.

if you didn't have two metal guitars i would understand, but make it how you like it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i have never had a problem with palm muting on a strat.

leave a strat a strat. you have two guitars that cover metal as you said. i don't see why switching guitars is a big deal. i have 20 electrics. they have a purpose and fit for themselves. my strat and teles are all SC's. most all others are HH or HSH.

the bridge position of a strat is one big part of a strat. the 4th position is very common. yo u will lose it, and the raw bridge position treble.

if you didn't have two metal guitars i would understand, but make it how you like it.

thanks, maybe ill just take a pass on a strat for now. not sure i wanted to spend the money on a fender when ill still be playing metal alot of the time.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
thanks, maybe ill just take a pass on a strat for now. not sure i wanted to spend the money on a fender when ill still be playing metal alot of the time.

you gotta get your ducks in a row someday i remember all of the amp posts a year or so ago.

its different, and IMO worth having. you may find interested in something different. spend $275 on a used MIM and call it a day.

i like teles over strats though. fun guitars to play.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by trashedlostfdup
you gotta get your ducks in a row someday i remember all of the amp posts a year or so ago.

its different, and IMO worth having. you may find interested in something different. spend $275 on a used MIM and call it a day.

i like teles over strats though. fun guitars to play.

that was a few years ago actually lol. ill think about it. im def considering it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
that was a few years ago actually lol. ill think about it. im def considering it.

damn time flies. i am glad you have the amp nailed down. i think that was the longest series of which amp threads and posts in those threads i have seen to date. .

strats are fun.

if you buy used, you wont lose money if you buy good and decide to resell. thta is the nice thing MIM strats flip like crazy. i have owned about 15 fenders and now have five. (one MIM strat, three high end USA teles, and a showmaster). i have owned a lot of strats, in and out. then i found the right one and held on to it. plan on decking the trem. so if you do plan to buy two more springs for the back.

good luck if you have any questions keep them coming.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
damn time flies. i am glad you have the amp nailed down. i think that was the longest series of which amp threads and posts in those threads i have seen to date. .

strats are fun.

if you buy used, you wont lose money if you buy good and decide to resell. thta is the nice thing MIM strats flip like crazy. i have owned about 15 fenders and now have five. (one MIM strat, three high end USA teles, and a showmaster). i have owned a lot of strats, in and out. then i found the right one and held on to it. plan on decking the trem. so if you do plan to buy two more springs for the back.

good luck if you have any questions keep them coming.

i just use amplitube and other amp sims now haha. works for me.

as for me wanting to put the black winter in the bridge, i wanted to use this guitar for like rock, blues, indie, and have the metal brridge for black metal, this would have been my goto guitar in e standard. then i wanted to have one in d and then one lower as ive been getting into more death metal lately, that was my thinking, just to clear that up.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
i just use amplitube and other amp sims now haha. works for me.

as for me wanting to put the black winter in the bridge, i wanted to use this guitar for like rock, blues, indie, and have the metal brridge for black metal, this would have been my goto guitar in e standard. then i wanted to have one in d and then one lower as ive been getting into more death metal lately, that was my thinking, just to clear that up.

i mainly use the neck pickup on my strat. i dont like positions 2 and 4. so you would still get the strat tone in the neck pickup, and middle (think SRV). but that bridge pickup has a fcukton more output than the SC's, and they wouldn't hold a candle to the volume.

you can have different guitars for different purposes, whether it be diferent tuning or trem or whatever or SC's. stick a quarterpounder in a strat and your definitly have some cajones (not sure on spelling lol)

think about it. go play one. see what you like.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i mainly use the neck pickup on my strat. i dont like positions 2 and 4. so you would still get the strat tone in the neck pickup, and middle (think SRV). but that bridge pickup has a fcukton more output than the SC's, and they wouldn't hold a candle to the volume.

you can have different guitars for different purposes, whether it be diferent tuning or trem or whatever or SC's. stick a quarterpounder in a strat and your definitly have some cajones (not sure on spelling lol)

think about it. go play one. see what you like.

yeah still dont know what to do. ill figure it out. either way im getting another guitar damnit haha.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
yeah still dont know what to do. ill figure it out. either way im getting another guitar damnit haha.

What is your budget?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
What is your budget?

$300-$500
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Go for a used G&L Tribute

Here is a new G&L ASAT for $349 at MF
www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-asat-deluxe-carved-top-electric-guitar/h88845000005001

Here is a new G&L Legacy for $499
www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-legacy-electric-guitar

IMO G&L are much better than Fenders 2x their prices
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 30, 2015,
ended up finding a ltd viper 400 for $200.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Find a used Yamaha Pacifica 612 or higher, they come stock with a JB in the bridge and 2 single coils. Honestly i almost like their sound better than a Strat. They sure quack like one, and the bridge position is brilliant. They are significantly better guitars than your typical MIM Strat.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
If you want a strat for metal then try to get one of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-FSR-Hot-Rod-Stratocaster-HH-Flat-Hot-Rod-Red-Electric-Guitar-/261422739414

I was lucky enough to find one used shortly after they came out. Although mine is the black model with maple fretboard. Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge. Fukking killer. Although beware that the selector switch is only 3-way, so no coil-splitting to get that single coil spank. It was built for one purpose only.
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Quote by romeozdistress
ended up finding a ltd viper 400 for $200.

so you abandoned the strat thing? how about a NGD? is that the MIK Viper or somewhere else? i am asuming EMG's, right?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Yeah, NGD. Those 400 series LTD's can be some half way decent guitars. I have played a lot of them. It sounds like you got a decent deal too.

There are two Viper 1000's at a shop by me but they cost some money. One has the SD '59 and JB chrome covered pickup set and is great in it's heritage cherry. The other one is awesome in cream/super aged white but not recic'd, and has SD Alnico II Pro gold humbuckers and gold hardware - this is one great sounding guitar.

You may find that Viper to be a great guitar. I don't like EMG's but that is because I don't know how to set my amps up for them probably. They even sound bad to me thru my 6505Plus combo, so you know I'm doing something wrong. I can't get them to make a clean sound "at all", and I can't get a nice overdrive sound out of them like I can with a JB or SuperDistortion.
"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me have got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' The Note cd.
Last edited by DuffB at Feb 2, 2015,
i ordered it from guitarcenter.com so its on the way. yes emgs, 81/85 combo. mik also. mahoagany set neck. i love those 400 series and for $200 i couldnt help myself. i can always use the ibanez rg for clean tones if need be. ill put the strat thing on hold for awhile. just couldnt pass this up. i would prefer a 60 over a 85, because that does have great clean tone. but ill deal with it.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^ Yeah $200 sounds like a pretty nice price. Nice score
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?