Started to venture into songs that need a capo to sound right.

Since I've started using it I've noticed it makes my guitar sound a bit dull and sometimes a bit whiny. I never seem to get a crisp sound when I use it.

Why is this and is it normal? Is it down to the capo itself or just my guitar?
What guitar and what capo are you using? Make sure the capo is positioned properly and is tight enough that all strings are ringing out properly but not too tight that it's pulling the strings out of tune.
It's an acoustic guitar and not sure what model of capo but it's a spring one not one of the mechanical ones
Capo is always going to sound a little different due to the nut becoming one of the frets, it physically won't have the same tone as the bone/corian nut. This is why some guitars use a "zero fret" so the tone is more consistent.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
Quote by EntropicDiscord
Capo is always going to sound a little different due to the nut becoming one of the frets, it physically won't have the same tone as the bone/corian nut. This is why some guitars use a "zero fret" so the tone is more consistent.

This is very true, I tried a few different capos looking for something that sounded good (I have a nice guitar and I hated the sound being ruined by a crap capo, or "crapo" ). I now use either a Paige capo or a Shubb deluxe, both of these have adjustable tension which I prefer - all the spring capos I've used have been far too tight and pulled the strings out of tune. I'd recommend trying an adjustable one, though if your guitar isn't very good a new capo won't fix that.