Hi, I've been playing bass for over 20 years. Lately I got tired of listening to Warren Haynes songs and wishing I could play the guitar parts. So, when I stumbled upon an almost new Epiphone Genesis for 175 bucks, I nabbed it.
I don't have a guitar amp (or a bass amp for that matter), I'm used to playing through a preamp (zoom b3 for bass) into the board.
I'd like to get an effects unit/amp modeler to do the same with guitar. I would also like something with headphone out and aux input. The zoom G3 doesn't have aux in.
So, I'm leaning toward the digitech RP 360. The reviews and recordings I've read and heard are very appealing. The only thing I don't like about it is that it won't run on batteries, portability would be a nice touch.
I'm not good enough on guitar to be able to go into a store and try things out. They are all going to sound equally crappy, LOL.
So, is there any reason to NOT get the RP360?

also, right now I'm playing with just my fingers. There's no place even semi local that sells pics so my only choice is to order online. I know I'm going to have to find what I like personally, but I want to eliminate as much wasted money as possible. So.... what thickness of picks should I try first? I use 1.14's for bass but they are obviously way to thick.
What is your budget for the modeler? Is it going to be just for home use or gigs too?

As far as picks, I like the Dunlop Tortex ones. I suggest the orange .60mm or green .88mm to start and then experiment from there.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
thanks for the pick suggestion :] I'll go ahead and order me some .60s :]

as far as the modeler. 150 to 200 is my max budget.
it will PROBABLY be only home use, but I would like to be able to use it for small gigs if the opportunity ever arose. I doubt I'll ever be good enough to play out, but I'm not ruling it out either.
not sure on the aux in, but i would look at a Line 6 X3 (floor) they aren't bad once you get it going right.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
not sure on the aux in, but i would look at a Line 6 X3 (floor) they aren't bad once you get it going right.

Thanks for the suggestion. X3s are nice but out of my price range
I have the 360xp. Very nice unit. Easy to edit for someone new to guitar multi effects. Good sounds and a very easy computer based interface for setting it up as a pedal board. Also very cheap add on 3 way switch available to greatly increases flexibility. I ditched pod hd 500 and got this, much prefer the sounds and usability. Solid as a rock and would stand up to live use. I would have no issues at all using it live.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
Imo, you can do much better for the price than the RP, but I'm comfortable with buying used. But I really just wanted to say, 1.14 is fine for guitar. I've been using 'em for guitar (and occasionally bass) for years now, I prefer the Gatorgrips though.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If aux in is a must have, check out the Zoom G1on. It's got one. It's also got all the stuff you get on the G3. The only disadvantage is it's designed to work in patches rather than individual effects.

FWIW, if you like the B3, you'll like the G3. It would be a great investment if you need to play with a band hooked up to a PA. If you just need a practice tool with aux in, get the G1on.

If you need both something to play with a band and a practice tool, get both. They aren't expensive.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by lucky1978
Imo, you can do much better for the price than the RP, but I'm comfortable with buying used. But I really just wanted to say, 1.14 is fine for guitar. I've been using 'em for guitar (and occasionally bass) for years now, I prefer the Gatorgrips though.

What do you suggest in that price range?

As far as the pics. I'm sure its just me needing to get used to it, the 1.14's I have just seem like way too much. I probably just need to pick more softly rather than rely on the pick to flex. I love everly star picks.

Gary, thanks for the zoom advice
that zoom 1on is looking pretty good, especially at the price. For that price IF I ever needed to play out I could always get something else then.
Ironically I did find a used Line 6 x3 for 200, but I don't have enough gas to go get it?
If you don't have enough gas to go get the one you've seen, be patient. Something else will come along soon.

The Line 6 / Zoom G series comparison is mostly a preference thing for the main effects, they're pretty equal on that side of things, but AFAIK none of the Line 6 products include the aux in you get on the G1on and only the higher end models include a looper. I don't think (but not sure) any of the Line 6 products include the drum machine either. Zoom give you a hell of a lot more for your money without compromising on quality.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by poomwah
that zoom 1on is looking pretty good, especially at the price. For that price IF I ever needed to play out I could always get something else then.
Ironically I did find a used Line 6 x3 for 200, but I don't have enough gas to go get it?

see if they will meet you halfway. Or try to go down to 20 bucks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
see if they will meet you halfway. Or try to go down to 20 bucks.

I tried, told me that the price was already fair and he didn't need me dicking him around on the price
Personally, I would take a Zoom G3 over a Line 6 X3 without hesitation. I'm a fan of the Line 6 M series, if I were looking for a cheap Multifx, It'd be a toss up between the Zoom G3/5 or the Line 6 M5/9/13
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
I like the line 6 m series, but if I understand right, they are STRICTLY effects right? While I want effects, pre-amp and amp modelling is my first priority. The only thing keeping me from the zoom g3 is it's lack of aux input. I'd love to have a G5 if I could afford one
Right now its basically a matter of deciding which compromises I'm least uncomfortable making
Come on, OP - even Walmart and Target sell picks or cut up some credit cards!!!!

As far as your unit - why not get an amp? Some if the Vox Vt, Roland Cube and Yasmnaha amps have line in for practice as well as USB out for PC.

If you want portable and battery operated, look at Boss Micro Be, used $50 and covers all the basses.

If you are set on muktifx, look at Vox, DigiTech are awful.
Quote by diabolical
Come on, OP - even Walmart and Target sell picks or cut up some credit cards!!!!

As far as your unit - why not get an amp? Some if the Vox Vt, Roland Cube and Yasmnaha amps have line in for practice as well as USB out for PC.

If you want portable and battery operated, look at Boss Micro Be, used $50 and covers all the basses.

If you are set on muktifx, look at Vox, DigiTech are awful.

Relax, Walmart around here doesn't sell picks. Credit cards are not a comfortable thickness for my playing. There are no targets around here. Oh wait, I forgot the !!!!!!
The reason I'm not looking for an amp is for the reasons of money and portability. And as many sounds as I'd like to emulate, I would need a LOT of amps.

I can't find a boss micro be, was that a typo and you meant br? If so, from what I'm seeing they don't do amp modelling.
Thank you for the suggestion though
I didn't know that they did, from what I read, I didn't see anything that mentioned modelling.
Would it have been that hard to just say that they have amp modelling without resorting to sarcasm. Everybody has been decent until you showed up
I have the RP-155 (the younger cousin of the RP360XP) and it is mkay. I imagine the 360 has better tones and functionality. But at ~$200 USD, I would suggest you just pick up a cheaper multi-fx and save for a POD. The zoom might be good too.
Last edited by Will Lane at Feb 2, 2015,
Why would I originally mention it if it doesn't have modeling? Its web site says multi effects and there are bunch of demos on it, I honestly don't see why you're so offended by anything I've said, all the suggestions are valid, including amps that have modeling and USB audio connectivity and since you mention occasionally wanting to do a gig.
If it is the comments on picks - come on, they're $3 per dozen, why not just experiment with a few? Cut up credit cards, use coins - hell, it worked for Brian May and ZZTop...