So for the last year and a half or so I've been using a Peavey Vypyr 15W with an EHX Metal Muff, so I'm looking to upgrade my amp. I'm looking for something with fairly good cleans and would work with my pedal and is loud enough for small gigs. I'm playing a Jackson JS30 right now.

I'm looking to spend the equivalent of about 600$, but for reference, my guitar costs about 400$. I play metal and rock for the most part. Children of Bodom, Amon Amarth, Scar Symmetry, Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Guns N Roses, Alter Bridge pretty much encompass the style I play.

And just a sidenote, has anyone else who uses the Metal Muff noticed that its kinda noisy?
Any preferences? SOlid state, tube combo, stack?

For solid state stuff a Randall RG1503H and and some cab with V30's.

For tube you could get a Jet City 22H(Thats loud enough) and some cab(Again, with V30's)

For a 2x12 combo Solid state look into the Randall RG1503. It's 150 watts and it's just the combo version of the head mentioned above.

For 2x12 tube look into a Jet City one. I don't know the name but they're not that expesive and decent sounding.

For a 1x12 I don't really know.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
A tube combo would be best but I wouldn't mind a small tube half stack if I can find one cheap enough. I'll be carrying it around a lot and I'm hardly a Schwarzenegger XD
The Jet Cities are alright. Or a Marshall DSL401 would be good. Also, don't be a manchild. 35 kilos isn't a lot.
Fly on, fly on
It is when its over half my weight lol. But anyway, I'll take a look at Jet City and see if I can find one around my place
How tall are you?
The Jet Cities can be found for cheap on a lot of auction sites like Ebay or Craigslist.
Or you can check out the Marshall. You can get those Slash tones with it.
Fly on, fly on
For Jet City, this JCA5012C 50 watt combo runs $700 new. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca5012c-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h76846

And yes, Muffs are super noisy. They essentially amplify and distort all the extra stuff your guitar, cables, and amp are picking up. However, if you're having noise that is overtly noticeable while playing (it should be under your guitar signal), you might want to get it checked out or replaced.

For the modern metal tone that you want, I'm not sure how much the Metal Muff can do. A lot of people prefer to use a heavy crunch setting on the amp, boosted by an overdrive before the amp. The Jet City's distortion is okay but kinda flabby on the low end. There might be a better Jet City model though, I'm not too knowledgeable on them.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by Fryderyczek
Also, don't be a manchild. 35 kilos isn't a lot.
35kg is def too much for me to carry around without casters.

I am strong enough to do that, but I really really would prefer not, and since there are lighter alternatives I don't see why I would.

I'd get a peavey vypyr tube 60 or a marshall DSL401 (doesn't sound like slash much though).

I have a joyo pocket metal, which should be a stripped down copy of the metal muff, and it's less noisy than most other distortion pedals I've tried.
Quote by Will Lane
And yes, Muffs are super noisy. They essentially amplify and distort all the extra stuff your guitar, cables, and amp are picking up.
This happens with every distortion pedal, it's just that some rigs pick up more noise than other, hence the result amplified is more noticeable.
Quote by Will Lane
However, if you're having noise that is overtly noticeable while playing, you might want to get it checked out or replaced.
This is normal, just not much noticeable.

Try and turn up the gain of every piece of gear in your rig to the max and you'll hear that yourself.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Last edited by Spambot_2 at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2
Try and turn up the gain of every piece of gear in your rig to the max and you'll hear that yourself.
Oh yeah, for sure. I just didn't want OP to have a bad Metal Muff or whatnot.
Quote by Will Lane
For Jet City, this JCA5012C 50 watt combo runs $700 new. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca5012c-50w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp/h76846

And yes, Muffs are super noisy. They essentially amplify and distort all the extra stuff your guitar, cables, and amp are picking up. However, if you're having noise that is overtly noticeable while playing (it should be under your guitar signal), you might want to get it checked out or replaced.

For the modern metal tone that you want, I'm not sure how much the Metal Muff can do. A lot of people prefer to use a heavy crunch setting on the amp, boosted by an overdrive before the amp. The Jet City's distortion is okay but kinda flabby on the low end. There might be a better Jet City model though, I'm not too knowledgeable on them.

TS is in Malaysia.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Lordsam247
I just read about the Peavey 6505 Minihead. Would it be worth waiting for?

>Fairly good cleans
>6505
Take a guess.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
>Fairly good cleans
>6505
Take a guess.
They're not as bad as people make them to be.

They're not stellar, but they can be good.
Thing is, people pair 6505's with cabs and speakers working best for high gain stuff, and they have to compromise their clean tones for that.

6505 wouldn't be that good for vintage sounding stuff nor for RHCP, and it's gonna be better than a DSL for the rest if ya ask me.

EDIT: wait I read that mainland, not minihead.
No don't get the mini version, it's a different amp - the pre's smaller and the power section's not up to task.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.