Page 1 of 3
What with there being a new Fantastic Four movie coming out in 2015, there's been a lot of back lash about Michael B. Jordan (who's black) playing Johnny Storm (who's white in the comics). This has been happening more and more recently, and I can't really understand the problem with it. Jordan wasn't cast simply because he was black, he was cast because the director had worked with him on a previous movie and thought Jordan was the right choice for the role. The more things of this nature have happened, the less black characters (non-white characters in general, really) have become your 'stereotypical' black/dark skinned character.

tl;dr- Is it okay to change a character's race in a movie or tv show, if the actor fits the role?
this house is bitchin
James bond is white goddammit
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
yeah it's okay, as long as it is because the actor would be good for the role rather than some kind of ethnic checkbox ticking.

gets a bit murky in casting when they want people who look a certain way but I think that's kinda messed up unless the character requires the actor to be a particular race/gender/etc for their role & plot to work.

also fantastic four sucks so who cares about the movie. johnny storm has nothing about him (afaik) that requires a white actor to be playing the role.

it's the whole nick fury thing again (i was only initially annoyed since I figured he'd samuel l. jackson it up rather than be nick fury)
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
The stupidest negative backlash to this was when the stormtrooper in the new Star Wars trailer was played by Boyega. I didn't even think anything of it and then people started making a big deal, and you can't even pull the 'but the character is supposed to be white' card in that case. Which is a stupid, racist thing to do anyway. Like with James Bond, Rush Limbaugh and a bunch of other people kept saying 'he's supposed to be Scottish!' as if Scotland is exclusively for white people. ****ing Americans with their race based definitions of nationality. I have nothing to do with Scotland but **** it I am one fourth I swear and as an American I demand Scotland to be back white Scotland! Way to ruin shit.
The star wars thing especially did not make sense cause the officers were clearly not clones, and in Battlefront 2 it was said that the empire did not use Jango Fett for all the new clones...

Then people say: oh that's extended universe disney doesn't give a **** about that. What I think Disney meant with they did not treat EU as canon is all the books of the post episode 6 time as they are recreating it. I don't see why they would shit on the stormtroopers.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11
The star wars thing especially did not make sense cause the officers were clearly not clones, and in Battlefront 2 it was said that the empire did not use Jango Fett for all the clones...

Battlefront is non-canon
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
only some stormtroopers were clones, others were normal people so it's perfectly conceivable that some relative of Lando might be one.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Battlefront is non-canon

Even if it isn't then still Stormtroopers have never been identified as the Clones in the movies. Also it's clear that all the officers are not clones. I don't know why people keep misinterpreting the movies. And I think Disney has not crapped on all the stories ever made. Games were clearly lucasarts. The books of the post-empire period are ofcourse not canon anymore.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by cha33 armstrong
James bond is white goddammit

but Idris Elba is such a boss
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Last edited by BjarnedeGraaf at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by Neo Evil11
Even if it isn't then still Stormtroopers have never been identified as the Clones in the movies.

yeah this is true, only EU stuff clearly says clones became stormtroopers. they could have all died out for whatever reason by episode IV if we just take the movies as canon.
O.K.

~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by theguitarist
only some stormtroopers were clones, others were normal people so it's perfectly conceivable that some relative of Lando might be one.

this. even if EU stuff is no longer canon you can just infer that something changed between the two trilogies. basically who the **** cares. when that trailer debuted I seriously did not think anything of it until people started making a fuss, which there was no legitimate reason for.
I don't really care because if I wanted people that looked exactly like the characters in the source material and put having the actor actually fit the role behind it then I'd just want an animated movie instead.
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Jan 29, 2015,
The only thing that's weird about it to me is that Johnny Storm and Sue Storm (Invisible woman) are brother and sister.

Sue Storm is being played by Kate Mara, who's white. So now they have to come up with "he was adopted, or he's her half brother" crap. which annoys me.

If they made both, Sue and Johnny black, I wouldn't care. Or if the left them white and made Ben or Reed Richards black, or even all of them black, I wouldn't care.

But a Brother and Sister team are usually (admittedly, not always, but usually) the same race.
Unless their race plays a part in the story, I don't think it matters too much.

That said, I can understand why it would bother people. If the character is described a certain way, and they look completely different in a movie/tv show, it could be disappointing.

I mean, it would have been odd if Gandalf was played by Jamie Foxx.
The possible future black James Bond thing bugged the shit out of me for a little while. But then I watched the first 3 seasons of The Wire, and Idris Elba has my official 100% stamp of approval.

The only I problem I see with it, they might've waited a little too late. Him in mid-2000s, he was perfect. He's a little older now, and he's not QUITE as suave as he used to be.

The storm troopers thing was dumb. It made me go wut for all of 3 seconds, then it kinda humanized the Empire/Storm Troopers, because probably a lot of the the Storm Troopers were recruited cause it was a probably a good living with a lot of perks, and that they weren't all one entity of evilness.

EDIT: Oh snap, the new Johnny Storm is that Wallace kid from The Wire too
Last edited by bdof at Jan 29, 2015,
If a character is supposed to be white they should be played by a white person

It's been happening more and more recently because of political correctness and people like to whinge if there aren't enough female and black characters.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by daytripper75
I mean, it would have been odd if Gandalf was played by Jamie Foxx.

nah that might've actually made that shit watchable

I don't see any issues with changing the race of a character, just like I don't see any issues with changing his hair colour or something*. Take James Bond, he's already been played by a blonde guy, I don't see why he can't be played by a black guy.

The only thing that would be silly was if it's going to cause inconsistencies in a story line or something. Like having the Black Panther be the head of an African tribe and hiring a Vietnamese guy to play him in a movie.

And if the back story in that sense (that back story being focused on race) isn't part of the story, I don't see why it should be strictly adhered to.

*Please note that I'm trivializing racial issues by comparing them to hair colour.
Quote by JackSaints
If a character is supposed to be white they should be played by a white person

It's been happening more and more recently because of political correctness and people like to whinge if there aren't enough female and black characters.

I don't know man. Just because the book says someone is white, does not mean to me they are supposed to be white. Some black actors can portray may be better suited to the role. In the end it's the performance that counts, I could give a crap about the skin colour.

If some black actor would have made a good gandalf, I wouldn't have given two shits about it. Hell... big chance that some black actor would have made a better aragorn than that quack Viggo Mortenshit.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I don't know man. Just because the book says someone is white, does not mean to me they are supposed to be white. Some black actors can portray may be better suited to the role. In the end it's the performance that counts, I could give a crap about the skin colour.

If some black actor would have made a good gandalf, I wouldn't have given two shits about it. Hell... big chance that some black actor would have made a better aragorn than that quack Viggo Mortenshit.

Yeah, even if a character is originally described as being white, why would it matter to the story, unless the story was about how the character was a white person?

American History X starring Eddie Murphy in every role for example would have been really strange. That being said, I'd definitely watch it.
Ofcourse if it's important to the story then you keep them white. I'm not saying use PC etc. in your casting choices. I'm just saying cast actors based on how well they portray the role. rather than skin colour.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
^no. it's racist because it implies they look like a fat version of eddie murphy
My Soundcloud

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400 SG
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
Yamaha APX500
Unless the character's race is an important thing in the story, there's no problem in casting someone of a different race.

Though I would love to see a pasty white-skinned ginger play Martin Luther King.
So can I rewrite roots will an all white cast?

At least this isn't as bad as the new ghostbusters with all really really ugly women. Cause #hairlegfeminism.
Last edited by Wormholes at Jan 29, 2015,
Hasn't the female ghostbusters thing been done before? I can clearly remember watching several movies with four women covered in ectoplasm.
Quote by Neo Evil11

I don't care about the race/character switching, but you'd better backdafkup mete,
Viggo Mortensen is a god amongst men

Viggo, If you're reading this...

I love u.
It only bothers people if they're racist. Idris Elba would make an awesome James Bond.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by ErikLensherr
It only bothers people if they're racist. Idris Elba would make an awesome James Bond.

He probably would, but I think he'd have serious competition from Chewitel Ejiofor.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by ErikLensherr

I disagree, but people love being able to use that word, so use it if you want.
Quote by institutions
Unless the character's race is an important thing in the story, there's no problem in casting someone of a different race.

Though I would love to see a pasty white-skinned ginger play Martin Luther King.

this was literally almost exactly what i was gonna post even down to martin luther king

though i was not going to say a ginger though just a regular white guy
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
i actually read a whole article on this subject a while back when they revealed black Captain America and female Thor for the comics.

it made the point that it was disrespectful to minority groups. that instead of creating a new, original character with his/her own cultural identity, they've pretty much just gone and said, "look! Cap's black now. see? we're fair"

i have no problem with changing a character's race/gender/whatever, but these are all the most shallow ways of going about it.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Well I'm not happy with the decision to make Johnny Storm black because I'm a comic book nerd and it angers me when movies get something wrong from the comics, but I'm going to give a chance.
it matters if it matters, obv. if skin color is a feature that informs the plot then you probably want it to inform your casting choices.

the issue of whitewashing is a tad different.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I don't know...Aragorn the orc would be pretty damn weird, or dwarf Legolas...

Surely you'd have to change the story completely
Page 1 of 3