Hello!
Let me start out with, I'm not a guitarist, or a musician at all. I'm looking for a present for my boyfriend and I have no idea what I'm doing.

He's mentioned before that he wants an overdrive pedal, and I'd like to surprise him with one! Unfortunately I have no clue what pedals make which sounds.
I know he loves playing prog metal, he just recently got a seven string guitar. ^^
He says he wants a crunchier sound, though I don't know what that means.

He has a Peavey amp and it says "Vypyr 15w modeling amplifier" on the front, if that helps.
And he has a Jackson seven string, though I don't know what kind :\

Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated! (:
oh, yeah I guess a price range would've been helpful huh? :P
I'm looking at no more than $200, but of course, I'd like to stay under that if at all possible.
Does he have a bad amp? He got that one in, maybe, 2004 I think? When he first started playing.
A pedal wouldn't help him there, only a new amp would.

Either spend a bit more money and get him something like a peavey vypyr tube 60 (though you'll have to find a used one, they don't make them anymore) or find him a different kind of present.

Or, if you wanna get him what he wants even if it will not really help him, get him a GFS greenie - very good and versatile overdrive for the price that he'll eventually put to good use when he'll get a proper amp.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Get him a gift card at his favorite music store. Easiest thing to do, and it will let him get what he wants, even if it isn't what he really needs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Just to clarify what the others are saying: Your boyfriend is using a modeling amp, which generates it's tones in a digital way. Overdrive pedals are meant to add crunch to your sound, but the thing is that more often than not, digital amps don't respond to them in a good way, which might result in a horrible sound. I have hands on experience, and the result is not good. The Peavey has a lot of tight tones already anyway, so the OD wouldn't help him that much in the first place.
You guys are so nice ^^ thank you so much!
One more question,
Is there an amp that is digital, but that the digital part can be turned off of?
That sounds stupid...
I mean, he loves the digital amp and having all those options, is there one out there that is digital but can still work with the overdrive pedals the way he wants?
Last edited by MarkarthQueen at Jan 29, 2015,
I like the gift card idea even though that is not as 'fun'.

I do not see any reason to spend $200 on what is essentially a $99 amp.

BTW - the Peavey Vypyr amps are pretty awesome. The 15w one like your boyfriend has unfortunately has a small speaker and not as many features and effects as its big brothers.

You could probably find a used Peavey Vypyr 30 or Vypyr 75 for $200. Now THAT would be a frickin nice birthday present. I have a the 'tubed' version (Vypyr 60) and it is even better than the 30 or the 75 because it has a tubed power section lifted right off the Peavey 6505. You can find Vypyr Tube 60's used starting in the $250 range. That said the 30 or the 75 would be a significant step up from the 15 but you will have to buy one used. Try using the link in my signature to search on amps (anything really).

Quote by guitar/bass95
Just to clarify what the others are saying: Your boyfriend is using a modeling amp, which generates it's tones in a digital way. Overdrive pedals are meant to add crunch to your sound, but the thing is that more often than not, digital amps don't respond to them in a good way, which might result in a horrible sound. I have hands on experience, and the result is not good. The Peavey has a lot of tight tones already anyway, so the OD wouldn't help him that much in the first place.

As much as I agree that an OD pedal will not help the Vypyr 15 - I need to disagree with the rest. First of all, Peavey Vypyr's amp modeling is analog, not digital. Second is that my Vypyr 60 takes OD pedals just fine - along with other pedals like Wah, Phaser and Delay. That said though, you are correct in that lots of digital modeling amps do not take pedals well - that is correct.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 29, 2015,
Only one I know is the Vox VT line.

In theory even the amp he currently has should take to overdrive with proper setup, for example disabling overdrive emulation in the patch, decreasing gain on the amp simulation, then adding the missing gain with the new gizmo. I don't know if it'll help much or change things that drastically.

I think a speaker swap might add more of that crunch, sometimes on these smaller amps since they're not that expensive, they skimp on the speakers. You could stay within budget and maybe try a new speaker for him.
The Celestion range offers more midrange crunch on some of their speakers, for example but I haven't tested it with this amp. Since it is a modeling amp I think Jensen or Eminence fuller range speaker might add more overall improvement.

What are his styles of music/favorite bands? I'm thinking he might be much better off with high gain tube amp as it sounds like he is oytgrowing his current ine, but it complicates things and can't think of anything there under $500.
Quote by MarkarthQueen
He's mentioned before that he wants an overdrive pedal, and I'd like to surprise him with one! Unfortunately I have no clue what pedals make which sounds.
I know he loves playing prog metal, he just recently got a seven string guitar. ^^
He says he wants a crunchier sound, though I don't know what that means.
I suggest just getting your BF a pedal instead of a new amp. Although a new amp might be more beneficial, I'd like to help you avoid any "oh my gosh, i asked you for an overdrive not an amp ugh" conversations. His current amp should work well enough with an overdrive pedal.

So, if you do go the overdrive pedal route, this is exactly what to get him: http://protonepedals.com/portfolio/mishas-attack-overdrive/ This pedal was voiced by one of the most prog-metal guitarists around, and if my girlfriend bought me this pedal I would cry upon sight. c:
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 29, 2015,
Alternatively, you could get him a looper. Everyone loves a looper and there are a few to choose from in budget.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
If you go the overdrive route we can argue forever, I don't know if two people on here will agree on the same pedal.

The moist coveted and most commonly found in musicuanbs rig is the Ibanez Tubescreamer original or Masons take on it.
I like the Budda Zen drive as it is voiced as tubescreamer but has an extra boost and fat switch which changes signal response for more low end.
It us possible that you can get more mileage by getting him a combination pedal like Blackstar HT-Dual which us overdrive and distortion in one, he would have more tonal I options with it.
yeah - to answer the basic question, I'd recommend a Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive pedal (Tubescreamer clone). They are about $50. Less coloration than a Tubescreamer and added tone control at the same time. Perfect for metal IMO. I've used mine in front of my Vypyr as mentioned with success.

My hunch here is that he is getting better and his 'ear for tone' is getting better and the Vypyr 15 is holding him back. That is completely understandable. If he is happy with the Vypyr 15 in general then it only makes logical sense to look into the Vypyr 30, 75, or Tube 60 in your price range.

I play my Vypyr 60 typically on Diezel or Recto model in 'Red' and I do not need an overdrive pedal or the amps overdrive effect option. It is that tight and chunky. The built in noise gate makes palm mutes super tight.

Remember - he plays Prog Metal with a 7 string.

I guarantee the limiting factor here is the 8" speaker. Very little frequency range there and no balls for palm muting.

dspellman - no offense as you usually have good advice but putting an 8" Celestion (sorry - or Jenson or Eminence) speaker in this thing would be kind of a waste of money IMO. The Vypyrs should excel with their flat response purpose built speakers they are currently using. That said, there have been many users who have reported great success in swapping in different speakers in their Vypyrs - I'm must not sure it is the best bet for this guy. Maybe get a Vypyr 30 or 75 and then add a speaker down the road if needed. Also, on the Vypyrs, they don't really have 'patches' per say. You just use the dial to select the amp model and then turn on 'stompbox effects' and turn the dial to 'X Boost' or 'Tubescream'. I'm not even sure the 15 has those options now that I think about it. The Vox VTs would not be my choice either for metal. Side step sideways and slightly down IMO.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jan 29, 2015,
^^^^ Yup.
Agile Interceptor Pro 725 EB EMG
Gibson LP Future Tribute
G12T-75 4x12 Avatar
Krank Nineteen80-watt
Koch Loadbox
RMC4

Soundcloud
Quote by lucky1978
Alternatively, you could get him a looper. Everyone loves a looper and there are a few to choose from in budget.

What is a looper? and what does it do? (:
It records a phrase, or a riff and plays it back over and over, then you play/practice along with it. Its a lot of fun and its a highly effective practice tool. It doesn't matter what kinda music he plays or his skill level, he'll love a looper. Google "ditto looper".

There's also looping delay pedals if you really wanna make him squeal. Line 6 DL4/ DL8, TC Electronics Flashback and FBx4, Vox Delaylab.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Last edited by lucky1978 at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane
I suggest just getting your BF a pedal instead of a new amp. Although a new amp might be more beneficial, I'd like to help you avoid any "oh my gosh, i asked you for an overdrive not an amp ugh" conversations. His current amp should work well enough with an overdrive pedal.

So, if you do go the overdrive pedal route, this is exactly what to get him: http://protonepedals.com/portfolio/mishas-attack-overdrive/ This pedal was voiced by one of the most prog-metal guitarists around, and if my girlfriend bought me this pedal I would cry upon sight. c:

Misha is one of his favorite guitarists! I had no idea he had his own line of products Thank you <3 I will definitely keep this in mind.

That said, from the many responses telling me his amp sucks for what he's trying to play. I may just tell him, "Pick a new amp, I'll pay for half." :P

Thank you everyone for the help though! I got a lot more advice than I thought I would, and I've got a better understanding now of what he wants. ^^
Quote by lucky1978
It records a phrase, or a riff and plays it back over and over, then you play/practice along with it. Its a lot of fun and its a highly effective practice tool. It doesn't matter what kinda music he plays or his skill level, he'll love a looper. Google "ditto looper".

There's also looping delay pedals if you really wanna make him squeal. Line 6 DL4/ DL8, TC Electronics Flashback and FBx4, Vox Delaylab.

Ah, that sounds pretty neat actually. Thank you! (:
Quote by MarkarthQueen
Ah, that sounds pretty neat actually. Thank you! (:

It is very neat. I'd bet he'd be thrilled with a looper and be perplexed at how you came up with such a cool gift (as in, most non-musicians have no idea what a looper is).
Quote by MarkarthQueen
I may just tell him, "Pick a new amp, I'll pay for half." :P

Don't do that or he might buy a diezel

But yeah I don't think an overdrive pedal will really work the way he wants with his current amp, as everyone else has been saying.

The big problem with guitar (or any hobby which is expensive) is that the things that people really want are normally a lot more expensive than "gifts"
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MarkarthQueen
Misha is one of his favorite guitarists! I had no idea he had his own line of products Thank you <3 I will definitely keep this in mind.

That said, from the many responses telling me his amp sucks for what he's trying to play. I may just tell him, "Pick a new amp, I'll pay for half." :P

Thank you everyone for the help though! I got a lot more advice than I thought I would, and I've got a better understanding now of what he wants. ^^
I figured this might be the case. c:
Quote by Dave_Mc
The big problem with guitar (or any hobby which is expensive) is that the things that people really want are normally a lot more expensive than "gifts"
+1. For OP to buy something that would really benefit her bf, she'd have to buy something fairly expensive compared to an overdrive pedal. Most normal guitar amps just can't put out the lower frequencies that a 7 string produces, and the amps that can are fairly expensive.

I saw someone mention the Peavey Tube 60. Would this be worth OP splitting half the price for? Or is there another amp that can pull out those Djenty tones in the budget?

If not, I suggest getting that Attack Overdrive, and to look towards getting a new amp in the future (or put money towards a new amp in the future).
If all else fails, here's a pedal that will make his guitar sound like an organ...lol. (I actually think it's pretty cool, but he may have no interest in it.)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/C9Organ
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Peavey Valveking combo?

I like the looper idea, but if not Bad Monkey or a 808 here.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
if he likes the vypyr and want a better sound then get him the bigger sized model. i believe the 30 watt version comes with a 12" speaker and will definitely sound better. it will have an overdrive option built in as well. sorry i'm still not sold on running an overdrive pedal through these types of amps.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Don't do that or he might buy a diezel

But yeah I don't think an overdrive pedal will really work the way he wants with his current amp, as everyone else has been saying.

Hush.
Quote by Fisheth24
Peavey Valveking combo?

I like the looper idea, but if not Bad Monkey or a 808 here.
An older VK could work, but it would need a speaker swap. The low-end isn't (relatively) very tight either, but a good speaker could help that.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 29, 2015,
i think the best thing you could do is offer to put in money toward a new amp. you couldn't really pick out one for him, no matter what we say because we only know what you say, and not more detailed things that he knows.

or a looper. they are a good learning tool. they are usable in solo gigging as well. a guitarist can make some pocket change there.

and +1 to whoever said that musicians are usually hard to buy for and expensive as well.

my girl has done me well a few years. one year i wanted a new drum throne and i told her i wanted one, and i got this 6" thick nice padding and its managable in price. everything else i want is over a hundred bucks minimum. she did awesome.

another good one she did was to get me a nice leather strap (i am sure she probably measured mine (not all are long enough). $80 or so and i was very happy.

good luck. take good care of him.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Ippon
Hush.

LOL

that being said, the looper idea might be cool. I've used mine about twice since I got it though, so it's not guaranteed to be a hit. But it's a nice idea, and fairly useful for some people, and dear enough that it feels like a proper gift (and also something you might not get round to buying yourself).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=2&srch&q=vypyr&distance=100&sort=price&dir=asc

Vypyr tube 60. Dunno if anyone posted it but its 200 bucks. Be carefull, you might get an engagement ring in return.
Ibanez SIR27
Pod HD500x

RIP:
Mesa Boogie Roadster 2x12 combo
Cmatmods analog chorus, phaser, tremoglo, signa drive, butah, and deeelay
walrus Audio Descent
Quote by bluestratplayer
http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=2&srch&q=vypyr&distance=100&sort=price&dir=asc

Vypyr tube 60. Dunno if anyone posted it but its 200 bucks. Be carefull, you might get an engagement ring in return.

Guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-1X12-60W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110834374-i4136886.gc

Just to make it a little easier and it's within your $200 budget. If you know he likes the vypyr, this is perfect because it's just more of that. I'll be honest I've only played a vypyr to play around at guitar center, but it has an overdrive effect built in. I doubt replacing it with a pedal is going to make THAT big of a difference. You can also go with this which isn't as good, but still better than what he has now and is only $100. That's not even much more than a nice overdrive pedal

guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Used-Peavey-Vypyr-75-1X12-75W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-110781797-i4133266.gc
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay