Hi there!

Has everyone had the chance to compare the current Blues Junior III with combo version of Marshall DSL15? I am about to buy the Jr., I´m almost decided, even started a thread about a possilbe speaker upgrade for it. But today I got an extremely tempting offer to buy the Marshall - tempting in terms of price....

And my main question is: which of these two sounds less "boxy" and which one has bigger bottom end - in the stock version, with the stock speaker....

Thanx a lot in advance for your replies!
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Harley Benton, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Last edited by Airfish at Jan 29, 2015,
None of them really sound boxy, nor one sounds noticeably less boxy than another.

They're different sounding amps for different stuff, and which one to get really only depends on what you want to play with them.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
None of them really sound boxy, nor one sounds noticeably less boxy than another.

They're different sounding amps for different stuff, and which one to get really only depends on what you want to play with them.

What I play? Depends on my mood, but it´s a very wide variety: blues, blues-rock, souther-rock, hard-rock, metal, hard-core.... and mostly rhythm guitar, not much lead playing....

And the comparison of these two is interesting for me, because the Jr. is an American amp with "British" power tubes and the Marshall is a British amp with "American" power tubes.... but that is only theory and I would appreciate someone´s practical experience, live comparison....
B.C. Rich, Cort, Engl, Engl, Engl, Epiphone, Fender, Fender, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Gallien-Krueger, Harley Benton, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, Ibanez, KRK, KRK, KRK, Laney, Line6, Michael Kelly, Schecter, VHT, Yamaha....
Don't get hung up on power tubes. For all intensive purposes the power tubes are not going to affect your tone too much. The circuit, speakers, pickups, and even preamp tubes will play a larger part.

again...

budget
genres
new or used
home or gig
If I were forced to choose between the two, I'd take the Marshall. But really a used Egnater Rebel or one of the newer 20w Valvekings would be my choice.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Marshall is it, judging by what you said.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
when choosing any amp the one thing that is above all else for me is is clean tone. The BJ III IMHO has a better clean tone than the DSL15. It does not have as much gain , but you can get that pushing the front end with a pedal.
Quote by Tone is King
when choosing any amp the one thing that is above all else for me is is clean tone. The BJ III IMHO has a better clean tone than the DSL15. It does not have as much gain , but you can get that pushing the front end with a pedal.

Yep, that´s exactly what I thought and I have even tried it. I had the BJr.III borrowed for a day at home and tried it with my pedals, including both my overdrives - Maxon OD808 and Xotic RC booster - and it sounds good. And yes, I like the clean and crunchy tone of the Jr. However, the Marshall should be able to achieve higher gain without any pedals. But I just didn´t have the chance to compare the Jr. with the Marshall, none of the local stores in my area has one.... that´s why I have asked other people´s opinion.
the 15 watt DSL blows IMO. if you want a marshall combo go for the old JCM2000 DSL 40 watter.

the BJ III isn't my favorite either.

i can't believe i am saying this, but look into egnater. i owned a rebel 20, tweaker 15 and a renegade, and used i would look into the rebel. the tweeker is a overrated and bland.

at least demo an egnater.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The DSL is shit.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Sorry guys, used amps are not my case. The market is too small round here, stuff like Egnater is extremely rare and I don´t have a good experience with amafukinzon or efukinbay or other similar overseas sources. I have to buy new. Actually I want to buy new. Anyway thank you for your advice.
Quote by Airfish
Sorry guys, used amps are not my case. The market is too small round here, stuff like Egnater is extremely rare and I don´t have a good experience with amafukinzon or efukinbay or other similar overseas sources. I have to buy new. Actually I want to buy new. Anyway thank you for your advice.

then buy the current DSL 40 watt combo. way better than the 15. seriously. may be a few $$$ but it would be worth it. higher wattage gets you more headroom for cleaner cleans, which is always a plus.

i have never had a problem on amazon or ebay that wasn't simply resolved, but that is just me. i have had more issues with new gear than used. i had 3 DOA jet city 2112RC's that were brand new. if you use paypal its hard to lose out. but i respect your opinion and so .
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Jan 30, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
then buy the current DSL 40 watt combo. way better than the 15. seriously. may be a few $$$ but it would be worth it. higher wattage gets you more headroom for cleaner cleans, which is always a plus.

i have never had a problem on amazon or ebay that wasn't simply resolved, but that is just me. i have had more issues with new gear than used. i had 3 DOA jet city 2112RC's that were brand new. if you use paypal its hard to lose out. but i respect your opinion and so .

Dude, that really sounds like based on logic (no irony). But I already have my "main rig", with a 2x20W stereo Marshall EL84 power amp and Engl E530 stereo preamp - in a rack. I want that smaller combo for more-less home noodling. So maybe even 15W is too much for that.

Recently I have read quite a lot of positive reviews on Marshall SL-5, which is only 5W, even switchable to 1W, BUT with EL34 power tube and a big cab with 12" speaker (V30), which is pretty rare, for such a low-power combo. And according to the videos on YT it can do lots of other stuff, not just Slash-like tone, which is not my favourite.... What´s your personal opinion on that one?
^ I haven't tried one but I think matt had one (maybe still has it?) and liked it.

Bear in mind I've seen some deals on them (new) so don't pay too much. IIRC they're going for around £400 and come with a free marshall pedal too (the delay i think, but don't quote me on that).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Airfish
Dude, that really sounds like based on logic (no irony). But I already have my "main rig", with a 2x20W stereo Marshall EL84 power amp and Engl E530 stereo preamp - in a rack. I want that smaller combo for more-less home noodling. So maybe even 15W is too much for that.

Recently I have read quite a lot of positive reviews on Marshall SL-5, which is only 5W, even switchable to 1W, BUT with EL34 power tube and a big cab with 12" speaker (V30), which is pretty rare, for such a low-power combo. And according to the videos on YT it can do lots of other stuff, not just Slash-like tone, which is not my favourite.... What´s your personal opinion on that one?

rely on youtube then and don't ask people who are in this thread for advice, **** us, right??? and don't waste my time.

i really don't think you understand what wattage means and its relationship toward volume. my MKIV into a mesa 4x12" sounds better at whisper volume than a 15 watt MG does. wattage is not always equal to volume.

poweramp dustiorion on 5 watts is insanely loud, that is if that is what you are looking for, but isn't useful.

on a one watt amp through a V30 is around 101ish db's, thats near or at a damaging level depending on length of exposure.

the class 5 isn't bad. only marshall i would buy, but overpriced, hit it right with an OD and its not bad. i am assuming the SL5 is similar, although i have no personal experience with it.

honestly if you are looking to spend a few bucks on something at the 15 watt range, i like the orange tiny/dark/jim root/dual terrors. i have a dual and love it. no cleans at higher volumes though. i run a OCD and Zendrive up front.

i still say to go with the 40. but you will do what you want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by trashedlostfdup
rely on youtube then and don't ask people who are in this thread for advice, **** us, right??? and don't waste my time.

i really don't think you understand what wattage means and its relationship toward volume. my MKIV into a mesa 4x12" sounds better at whisper volume than a 15 watt MG does. wattage is not always equal to volume.

poweramp dustiorion on 5 watts is insanely loud, that is if that is what you are looking for, but isn't useful.

on a one watt amp through a V30 is around 101ish db's, thats near or at a damaging level depending on length of exposure.

the class 5 isn't bad. only marshall i would buy, but overpriced, hit it right with an OD and its not bad. i am assuming the SL5 is similar, although i have no personal experience with it.

honestly if you are looking to spend a few bucks on something at the 15 watt range, i like the orange tiny/dark/jim root/dual terrors. i have a dual and love it. no cleans at higher volumes though. i run a OCD and Zendrive up front.

i still say to go with the 40. but you will do what you want.

Just chill out, dude....

If I wasn´ interested in your opinion, I wouldn´t ask for it. YT is a very tricky source, I know, so that´s why I tend to get the info from there confirmed by people who´s experience I value more then mine: people of this forum, among others. I´m not trying to waste your time and I sure will consider what you advise. And I appreciate the time you lose responding to me.
Last edited by Airfish at Feb 2, 2015,
Quote by Airfish
Just chill out, dude....

If I wasn´ interested in your opinion, I wouldn´t ask for it. YT is a very tricky source, I know, so that´s why I tend to get the info from there confirmed by people who´s experience I value more then mine: people of this forum, among others. I´m not trying to waste your time and I sure will consider what you advise. And I appreciate the time you lose responding to me.

I may have read you wrong with some sarcasm. My apologies. It was the Super Bowl and i have been drinking since noon, i try not to be an ass, but sometimes i am.

I strongly recommend looking into orange as a third contender.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Both are fine amps, I think the Marshall is the more open sounding and the more versatile out of the box. The Fender has really sweet voice and works great with pretty much any pedal in front, but it is more one trick pony by itself out of the box.

I second (or third) the Dsl40 suggestion, look at Traynor Blue as well, jcm800 voiced 40 water that'd probably be better than those two.
Last edited by diabolical at Feb 2, 2015,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I may have read you wrong with some sarcasm. My apologies. It was the Super Bowl and i have been drinking since noon, i try not to be an ass, but sometimes i am.

I strongly recommend looking into orange as a third contender.

No problem, that´s understandable....

Here behind the pond most of us don´t give a damn about NFL, but I just finished a short magazine article about the car makers´ads in the Superbowl, which are always the most expensive ads in the whole year (I´m a car-magazine journalist), so at least that way I know about Super Bowl. Yeah, and of course I remember that legendary peeking nipple - was that Janet Jackson - years ago?

And thanks, I will definitely consider Orange as well. And will try to test drive all of them, personally.
Last edited by Airfish at Feb 2, 2015,
I'd take the DSL over any of the small orange amps. They have no clean headroom whatsoever.
That statement does have some merit - except that new DSL's just sound cheap all over. I played a gig recently through a DSL100 alongside a guy with a JCM2000 DSL100. The JCM sounded 100x better. Same type of cabs too, before you ask. And I was the lead guitarist so don't throw no "tone is in the fingers bs at me."

Oh and yeah, the DSL100 wasn't running stock tubes either. It just sounded cheap. Not impressed at all. Better a used JCM than a new DSL. Used is where you need to be looking.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Cathbard summarized it well. Korg bought Marshall and Vox and has been eroding both brands since with constantly cheapening components and worsening production QC. Still new DSL is pretty good in comparison with the options. I keep on saying Traynor
Traynor is a good choice at the lower end of the market. A JCM2000 DSL401 made after 2003 is what he should be looking for though. Great little amp.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
blues junior is great, especially if you want some cleans or girt, rock etc. if you want any type of gain / metal, imo jump right to the DSL. i really like the DSL line although i have never played with the 15. despite the comments, id still probably go with the DSL, although i love blues juniors.

i as a former tweaker owner, i would probably take the DSL over a tweaker.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)