So my b string broke and I noticed that there are in fact some burrs in some saddles. Specifically inside the slot where it starts to angle down. Can this contribute to string breakage?

I took a file and removed it as much as I can, then I used 2500 grit sandpaper and smoothed it more.

Do you think that should do it? Will 2500 still be too rough of a surface and contribute to string breakage or do you think it's smooth enough?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Squier Classic Bibe Telecaster Thinline
I don't actually know about sand paper gauges and such so someone else will have to answer that but that can definitely contribute to string life being short. Really the important clue to it is going to be where the strings break though, if your strings break at the bridge end of the guitar a lot then you know what's going on.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't actually know about sand paper gauges and such so someone else will have to answer that but that can definitely contribute to string life being short. Really the important clue to it is going to be where the strings break though, if your strings break at the bridge end of the guitar a lot then you know what's going on.

Yup it did, which is why I checked the saddles.

2500 is very fine sandpaper. I used a guitar file first to get rid of the burr, then used a rough sandpaper grit, then hit it with the 2500 until it looked a bit more smooth. It's not super shiny polished, but it's enough to make it better.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
2500 is extremely fine. It's the sort of thing used for metal polishing.

Really the best thing to use is a needle file since its easier to get the file where you need it.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
2500 is extremely fine. It's the sort of thing used for metal polishing.

Really the best thing to use is a needle file since its easier to get the file where you need it.

I did use needle files. I use the my files for guitar nuts and frets, removed the burr, then used rough sand paper, then 2500 to polish it up.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Clay-man
I did use needle files. I use the my files for guitar nuts and frets, removed the burr, then used rough sand paper, then 2500 to polish it up.

That's absolutely fine. Way to be DIY!
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Thanks, just double checking to see if 2500 is still too rough, like if it needed to be absolutely shiny smooth.

The surface doesn't seem to be grabbing the string so it seems like it's not going to hurt the string.

The string were on the edge of the burrs, and it was the thin e and b string, so it would cut through the string over time. I thought it was because the angle of the saddle was so steep, but it must of been the burrs.

My strings have been breaking too fast that normal, like 3 weeks to a little after a month. That's too fast. I've had strings last me months before breaking on my SG.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
2500 grit is actually overkill, 400 to 600 would be plenty good. I like to use Cratex. It's a diamond impregnated rubber similar to a pencil eraser, if you look around at hardware stores they make dime sized disks for use with Dremel tools. I have the round sticks made for machine shop use, I was a machinist for 8 years, the gray green fine grit works really well. The Dremel disks should do a very good job, and already have a vee shaped edge to get into the saddle slots.

http://www.cratex.com/
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
If it were me and the saddles weren't plated, I'd take a dremel and some jeweller's rouge to it and get it mega smooth, but that's only because I have that available. Somewhere between 800 and 1200 should be fine.
Quote by Clay-man
Thanks, just double checking to see if 2500 is still too rough, like if it needed to be absolutely shiny smooth.

It doesn’t need to be smooth, it just needs to be de-burred. You’re running a wire through the saddle, not making jewelry.
Quote by jpnyc
It doesn’t need to be smooth, it just needs to be de-burred. You’re running a wire through the saddle, not making jewelry.

Yes but wouldn't tremolo use make the strings grind against the nonesmooth surface and damage the string as well?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Clay-man
Yes but wouldn't tremolo use make the strings grind against the nonesmooth surface and damage the string as well?

I guess it all depends on how much you like to whammy. If you play like Dimebag or Steve Vai than it could be an issue. But in that case you should probably just switch to Graphtech saddles anway
Quote by jpnyc
I guess it all depends on how much you like to whammy. If you play like Dimebag or Steve Vai than it could be an issue. But in that case you should probably just switch to Graphtech saddles anway

I had multiple burrs on my strat, i just went graphtech. I kept the original in case i get rid of it. But i do a lot of bending and it wears bad.

They did change the tone just a little, little less twang. Kind of a bummer. I doubt it would affect tone at the amp level.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
I had multiple burrs on my strat, i just went graphtech. I kept the original in case i get rid of it. But i do a lot of bending and it wears bad.

They did change the tone just a little, little less twang. Kind of a bummer. I doubt it would affect tone at the amp level.

I ditched using graphtec a few years back because they took away that snappy twang, even through my Fender amps. Lame.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by jpnyc

String savers? Funny, because it's on a Variax. I could get Ghost saddles which are the same thing but with piezos.

How much did string savers cut down on string breakage? Did it practically completely eliminate it?

I'm using Elixirs so it's kind of a waste to have the strings break in under a month, but it's also a waste for me to replace strings every 4 days, hence why I'm using Elixirs.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Last edited by Clay-man at Jan 30, 2015,
E string broke again within like a week or two...
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Ordered finer sand paper. Should the string be touching in one place or does more surface distribute the tension better?

Should I make the angle where it comes out the body and across the saddle a ramp?
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Silky Smooth
Order some abrasive cord and run it through your saddles to keep them smooth. Super easy to use and works great

http://www.amazon.com/Mitchells-Abrasive-Cord-070-Dia/dp/B001DSY5LI

Thank you. I worked on it some more last night and tried to smooth it out. I don't see any burrs and don't feel anything sharp, but I've been breaking strings like crazy lately so obviously something needs to be worked on.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s
Quote by Clay-man
String savers? Funny, because it's on a Variax. I could get Ghost saddles which are the same thing but with piezos.

How much did string savers cut down on string breakage? Did it practically completely eliminate it?

I'm using Elixirs so it's kind of a waste to have the strings break in under a month, but it's also a waste for me to replace strings every 4 days, hence why I'm using Elixirs.

I use Ernie Ball, play 2-4 shows a day on the road, and i'm on the road around 9 months out of the year. The Graphtec DRASTICALLY cut down on string breakage. It really only happened when the strings were gonna break anyway, real dirty, and dull and just worn out. I noticed the change instantly. My SG didn't have any issue like that, so I doubt I'll be moving to graphtec anytime soon for that guy, but before I sold my tele, which I regret heavily, string breakage was practically non existent.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Quote by Katsock
I use Ernie Ball, play 2-4 shows a day on the road, and i'm on the road around 9 months out of the year. The Graphtec DRASTICALLY cut down on string breakage. It really only happened when the strings were gonna break anyway, real dirty, and dull and just worn out. I noticed the change instantly. My SG didn't have any issue like that, so I doubt I'll be moving to graphtec anytime soon for that guy, but before I sold my tele, which I regret heavily, string breakage was practically non existent.

I'll consider it. Like I said, it's a Variax, but luckily the Graphtech Ghosts are String Savers with piezos in them. I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend 100 dollars on saddles though, I've been thinking of getting another guitar.
Guitars:
Davison SG
Line 6 Variax 600
Line 6 JTV 69s