Okay, so I bought a Fender USA standard, as imaged. Its beautiful (and a lot of money) I played one in a shop before I bought it and was getting nice blues tones like im used to with my charvel san dimas - humbucker. However since having the guitar home I just cant get any nice tones out of it.

I play through a fender deluxe VM and the output sounds way too clean and trebly. The bass dials in and its just bad.

Ive got two good distortion pedals - one a wampler soveriegn which usually sounds great with the charvel but again it sounds completely off.

I know alot of people love the fat 50's pickups but I cant vouch for them yet.

Is it worth upgrading my amp? Ive been considering trading up to a mesa boogie for a natural blues etc.

Cheers for any suggestions
the guitar in the pic isn't an american standard. 21 fret fingerboard is a dead giveaway. can't think of any fenders off the top of my head with 21 fret neck and a 2 point trem. since they are single coils you may have to reajust the tone settings from what you are used to. what type of sound are you thring to get?
Your going from a hot HB tone to a not hot single coil tone which are extremely different. I'd say try a hot single coil or even a single coil HB like a JBJr (which you can coil split)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
well you need an overdrive and not a distortion pedal for starters. SRV is tough as he relied on volume from a cranked amp for much of his tone. dial back the treble on your amp and that will help when using the bridge pickup. you can also have the middle pickup tone control wired to the bridge to ease up on some of the treble as well. keep in mind that single coils distort differntly than humbuckers and there will always be a bit of that clean sound to them (for lac of a better description). single coils will force you to have better technique as you can't rely on the distortion to smooth things out or cover up sloppy playing.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Your going from a hot HB tone to a not hot single coil tone which are extremely different. I'd say try a hot single coil or even a single coil HB like a JBJr (which you can coil split)

true but then he won't learn anything about using single coils
Quote by monwobobbo
true but then he won't learn anything about using single coils

True, but that isn't technically a bad thing

I don't own any single coil guitars anymore, I have several that are coil split/tap the most convincing is my PRS. But I'm already set in my ways and if need be I'd just get a new guit-fiddle
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by monwobobbo
the guitar in the pic isn't an american standard. 21 fret fingerboard is a dead giveaway. can't think of any fenders off the top of my head with 21 fret neck and a 2 point trem. since they are single coils you may have to reajust the tone settings from what you are used to. what type of sound are you thring to get?

Looks like a Limited Edition American Standard with the binding and 21 frets: http://www.fender.com/guitars/stratocaster/limited-edition-american-standard-stratocaster-channel-bound/0170214754.html#start=1
Quote by Robbgnarly

Are we suggesting he change the pickups straight away on a $1500 guitar? Geez. Play with your tone first. Work it in a little bit.
And yeah, it looks like the standards have 2 point trems now instead of the old 6 screw deal.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
Quote by ryanbwags
Are we suggesting he change the pickups straight away on a $1500 guitar? Geez. Play with your tone first. Work it in a little bit.
And yeah, it looks like the standards have 2 point trems now instead of the old 6 screw deal.

They've had 2-points for decades.

Quote by monwobobbo

No, it is an American Standard Limited Edition. Channel bound fretboard and 21 frets. They did lots of limited models for the 60th Anniversary last year, and besides that there's lots of FSR's every year with variations on the specs.

As for TS questions, it sounds like a completely normal experience going from humbuckers to single coils. Play the guitar for a few weeks. You don't need to adjust the tones on the amp nearly as much as you need to adjust your playing for the added dynamics and weaker output.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Last edited by HomerSGR at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by HomerSGR
They've had 2-points for decades.

No, it is an American Standard Limited Edition. Channel bound fretboard and 21 frets. They did lots of limited models for the 60th Anniversary last year, and besides that there's lots of FSR's every year with variations on the specs.

As for TS questions, it sounds like a completely normal experience going from humbuckers to single coils. Play the guitar for a few weeks. You don't need to adjust the tones on the amp nearly as much as you need to adjust your playing for the added dynamics and weaker output.

OP already showed the spec sheet for guitar. my bad haven't seen one of those before. hard t keep track of small runs. since he's not in the US it's not a stretch to think that perhaps he got fooled by a guitar with a US sticker on it. some of the higher end Squiers have a 2 point trem on them as well as a 22 fret fingerboard.
Quote by monwobobbo
OP already showed the spec sheet for guitar. my bad haven't seen one of those before. hard t keep track of small runs. since he's not in the US it's not a stretch to think that perhaps he got fooled by a guitar with a US sticker on it. some of the higher end Squiers have a 2 point trem on them as well as a 22 fret fingerboard.

People can get fooled with US stickers in US, too. I'm quite sure this is the real deal..
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
People can get fooled with US stickers in US, too. I'm quite sure this is the real deal..

oh yeah just seem to hear about it a little more from overseas. and yes i'm sure the OP's guitar is real as well.
Were you playing out of a different amp in the store? That could have a hell of a lot to do with it. Generally you want to pick an amp in-store that's at least close in specs to yours or even bring in your own.

Could also try adjusting the pickup heights. That can have a pretty noticeable impact on tone. Best way to go about it is to lower them pretty far down with the treble side about 2mm higher than the bass side and ease it up by two screw strikes at a time, playing in-between to see how you like it/when the output is even.

Anyway, Single-coils can be a little weird if you're switching from a humbucker set-up. If you're getting too much treble, you might try a longer cable or roll back the tone knobs a little bit. With strats you kinda have to get used to riding the knobs a little bit. I generally keep mine between 4-7 depending on the sound I'm going for and only jack it up to 10 when I'm going for something especially 'jangly'. The volume on the guitar will also roll off significant treble signal. That guitar has 'no-load' controls which means when the volume and tone knobs are on 10, you're taking those pots out of the circuit which adds a little treble (or should I say 'lets it through'?).

Also, playing a Strat out of a Fender amp I find it's best to open the tone stack, so basically roll those lows, mids, and highs up to 10. Then I'll drop a little bit of the high end out if it's too trebl-y (to maybe ~6-8 depending) and adjust my guitar's controls to taste. That Fender Deluxe VM should pretty easily go into a tube-saturated overdrive so it might be a matter of cranking the gain a little bit more. Fender amps are known for sparkly cleans but you can certainly dial them in to spank

I guess I should also mention that if you know anything about wiring, it might be worth having a look in the inside cavity. I ordered a MIM (yeah, I know, not as quality) last year and the middle pickup was quieter than the neck and bridge despite being higher than the others. Opened it up and realized that the middle pickup looked like it was soldered by a 6-year-old. Clipped that sucker and re-soldered it and it all of a sudden came to life.

Also, Strats like fuzz and overdrives much more than they like straight up distortion (IME)

Anyway, try that stuff, if you still can't get a tone you like, I'd recommend checking out Kinman pickups or maybe a stacked humbucker of some kind.
Last edited by mjones1992 at Jan 29, 2015,
Play with the pickup heights, that can make a big difference. I keep my Squier single coils so the treble end of each pickup is a little lower than the bass end, and all of them a lot closer the the strings than the humbuckers.

I play with a volume pedal so I never touch the knobs on the guitar, I set my Super Reverb with

Treble around 5 or 6
Mids around 3 or 4
Bass around 4 or 5.

Sounds good on all my guitars, single coil or humbucker, and I use mostly an overdrive 90% of the time, distortion pedal is only used for maybe 2 songs the whole night.

Main thing is take some time to get accustomed to the guitar and its nuances, play with the controls and pickup height. It's a different animal than a guitar with humbuckers.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Quote by mjones1992
Were you playing out of a different amp in the store? That could have a hell of a lot to do with it. Generally you want to pick an amp in-store that's at least close in specs to yours or even bring in your own.

Yeah, this could have something to do with it, for sure.

Also, TC, by the way that you said, "I played one in a store before buying it", am I right to assume that you didn't actually buy the one that you played, and liked, in the store? You probably ordered one online after demoing it? If that's the case... every guitar is different, even when they're the same model. That's why you should buy guitars from a shop, after playing the exact one that you're buying, whenever possible. Maybe you should have supported your local business and bought the guitar that you liked in the first place.

If that's not the case, ignore my obvious disdain for people who use their local shops as showrooms and then give their money to giant bloated corporations. It's probably just your amp.
Last edited by the_bi99man at Jan 29, 2015,
it takes a while to get used to. you will need to EQ SC's differently than HB's on the amp. they sound very different. but they all are fun.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/