I've recently been looking into buying a new guitar for playing some heavily downtuned metal, and after looking around some I can't decide between this, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-te-406-electric-guitar or this,

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-mtm20-mick-thomson-signature-series-electric-guitar
I pretty much just want other peoples opinons, and maybe suggestions on other guitars. I would mostly be going down to either A standard, or C# drop B
Is an Ibanez trem a feature you want? If not, I'd go for the ESP, whilst if you need a trem, go for the Ibanez.
That's the simplest version you'll hear.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Is an Ibanez trem a feature you want? If not, I'd go for the ESP, whilst if you need a trem, go for the Ibanez.
That's the simplest version you'll hear.

Actually the bridge on the Ibanez is fixed, not a trem.
Quote by Cheeseshark
Actually the bridge on the Ibanez is fixed, not a trem.

Holy shit yes. I just realized, sorry about that. Imo I'd go for the LTD. I just like the look more.
Another question, which guitar do you like the look of(Yes it's important, a guitar should make you want to pick it up, if you don't like the look, it won't be like that)?
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Holy shit yes. I just realized, sorry about that. Imo I'd go for the LTD. I just like the look more.
Another question, which guitar do you like the look of(Yes it's important, a guitar should make you want to pick it up, if you don't like the look, it won't be like that)?

I think the Ibanez looks better, but I still also really like the look of the LTD. The locking nut on the Ibaenz sounds pretty nice as well.
Last edited by Cheeseshark at Jan 29, 2015,
Then it's your choice. I'd stil go for the LTD. You actually get EMG's, not some Duncan Designed bullshit. But before you buy the LTD(If you want to) make sure you will like the 22 frets. The Ibanez has 24(I think?) and if you use these extra two, then you'll miss out.
Fly on, fly on
Wow, how is that LTD even in the running? If I had only those two choices the Ibanez wins but both are rather overpriced for the specs.

Here are some suggestions around that price range:
Jackson Soloist SLX or SLATX
BC Rich Villain Veil or Deluxe
Dean Custom 450 or 550
Quote by Fryderyczek
Then it's your choice. I'd stil go for the LTD. You actually get EMG's, not some Duncan Designed bullshit. But before you buy the LTD(If you want to) make sure you will like the 22 frets. The Ibanez has 24(I think?) and if you use these extra two, then you'll miss out.

What exactly is the issue with Duncan pickups? To be fair I've never used them but I've heard they make some good stuff. I would probably change these out for SD AHB3's once i have the money though.
Quote by dthmtl3
Wow, how is that LTD even in the running? If I had only those two choices the Ibanez wins but both are rather overpriced for the specs.

Here are some suggestions around that price range:
Jackson Soloist SLX or SLATX
BC Rich Villain Veil or Deluxe
Dean Custom 450 or 550

To be honest the reason I chose these is because I'm a fan of Slipknot's music and these guitars are very similar in specs to their guitars. One of them even being a signature series.
Quote by Cheeseshark
To be honest the reason I chose these is because I'm a fan of Slipknot's music and these guitars are very similar in specs to their guitars. One of them even being a signature series.

Gotcha. Well, Thomson also plays/played BC Rich. Problem with signature guitars is that they tend to cost more than an identical non-signature.
The Duncan Designed bullshit is a cheap copy of the real deal. I'd play it safe and get the LTD.
1.It's not a Singature model, so you don't pay extra for the name of the dude
2.It has actual pickups, not a piece of shit.
3.It looks nicer. You'll look badass on stage, not like a Slipknoy fanboy.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
The Duncan Designed bullshit is a cheap copy of the real deal. I'd play it safe and get the LTD.

Jeez, you make it sound like they're knock-offs.
Quote by dthmtl3
Gotcha. Well, Thomson also plays/played BC Rich. Problem with signature guitars is that they tend to cost more than an identical non-signature.

So there is pretty much no reason to get the Ibanez then?
Quote by Fryderyczek

This thing is pretty much just meant for bedroom playing, I've never actually been in a band.
And I personally think It looks nice.

You are right on the signature model thing though. I would also be terrified of anything ever touching it because of the neck-through construction.
I like the Ibanez over the LTD, in this case, I always associate Telecasters with country or maybe some classic rock. That said I generally I prefer non signature guitars and I would not purchase one new as they do seem to cost more than a similar spec non signature.

However I'm not so opposed to them that I wouldn't own one I have B.C. Rich Kerry King Beast VNT that I picked up for $300 in mint condition. Kerry don't actually play them but helped with the design and it's not covered with a bunch of Kerry's graphics. I'm seriously considering picking up an LTD Alexi 600 from my former band mate, I'm not a fan of Alexi Laiho or COB, but the guitar has great specs and is in mint condition with a Coffin Case for $400.

But I'd prefer the MT Sig over the Tele, it just seems wrong to me to play drop tuned metal on a Tele.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by Evilnine
I like the Ibanez over the LTD, in this case, I always associate Telecasters with country or maybe some classic rock. That said I generally I prefer non signature guitars and I would not purchase one new as they do seem to cost more than a similar spec non signature.

However I'm not so opposed to them that I wouldn't own one I have B.C. Rich Kerry King Beast VNT that I picked up for $300 in mint condition. Kerry don't actually play them but helped with the design and it's not covered with a bunch of Kerry's graphics. I'm seriously considering picking up an LTD Alexi 600 from my former band mate, I'm not a fan of Alexi Laiho or COB, but the guitar has great specs and is in mint condition with a Coffin Case for $400.

But I'd prefer the MT Sig over the Tele, it just seems wrong to me to play drop tuned metal on a Tele.

I was looking for a cheaper alternative to this: http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-FEN-13444-780?src=Y0802G00SRCHCAPN&gclid=CO7x5KKdusMCFciDfgodBp8Apg

The squier version has covered passives in it so I thought the ltd might be a nice middle ground.
You're trying to decide Root vs. Mick aint ya???

I own the LTD. It shot to being my main guitar REAL quick (check my profile pic to see the badass thing!). That being said I do prefer the Fender feel to it and that's why I fell in love with it....started with Fenders and that's my "home" guitar. The entire guitar front and back as you probably notice is matte black and if you're into that it feels great. I know the LTD can handle low tunings because the salesman who showed it to me at GC knew the previous owner and he had it in the A neighborhood and I had the fun job of getting it set up to C for me. I think they wanted to keep with the Root vibe Fender had and have a "no-frills" guitar. Some like it, some don't. You can't go wrong with either one though. I got a Jim Root-ish Tele for cheap so my experience with it has been good.
Last edited by JBailey23 at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by Cheeseshark
So there is pretty much no reason to get the Ibanez then?

The only thing that is makes it unique from other white superstrats with a reverse headstock is the "seven" inlay. I would imagine that for the same price you could get a white superstrat with a reverse headstock from other manufacturers or perhaps even from Ibanez that is at least neck-through construction. I bet someone sells "seven" inlay stickers or ebay. And if you're budget goes up to $1200 you can get one hell of a guitar.
Quote by JBailey23
You're trying to decide Root vs. Mick aint ya???

I own the LTD. It shot to being my main guitar REAL quick (check my profile pic to see the badass thing!). That being said I do prefer the Fender feel to it and that's why I fell in love with it....started with Fenders and that's my "home" guitar. The entire guitar front and back as you probably notice is matte black and if you're into that it feels great. I know the LTD can handle low tunings because the salesman who showed it to me at GC knew the previous owner and he had it in the A neighborhood and I had the fun job of getting it set up to C for me. I think they wanted to keep with the Root vibe Fender had and have a "no-frills" guitar. Some like it, some don't. You can't go wrong with either one though. I got a Jim Root-ish Tele for cheap so my experience with it has been good.

I love the fact that you came into the thread and immediately guessed my predicament. I think I honestly prefer the rhythm bits and from what I understand Jim plays those more often than Mick.

I'm honestly leaning a bit more towards the LTD at this point. I do kinda like the no-frills look Jim has going on with his signatures, especially the matte black Jazzmaster. One of the few things that has held me back a bit is that I've never even seen a review of the LTD, but your reply has definitely made me more sure of my decision.

Unless I see an actual Jim Root signature for around 200-300$ less than usual or I feel like waiting 'till my birthday in the summer, I'm going with the LTD. Thanks a ton man!
Quote by dthmtl3
The only thing that is makes it unique from other white superstrats with a reverse headstock is the "seven" inlay. I would imagine that for the same price you could get a white superstrat with a reverse headstock from other manufacturers or perhaps even from Ibanez that is at least neck-through construction. I bet someone sells "seven" inlay stickers or ebay. And if you're budget goes up to $1200 you can get one hell of a guitar.

If my Budget went up to 1200$ I would just get this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-jim-root-artist-series-telecaster-electric-guitar
Although I might have that much if I wait a bit.
Also don't almost all RGs have basswood bodies? Not really my thing.
Quote by Cheeseshark
I love the fact that you came into the thread and immediately guessed my predicament. I think I honestly prefer the rhythm bits and from what I understand Jim plays those more often than Mick.

I'm honestly leaning a bit more towards the LTD at this point. I do kinda like the no-frills look Jim has going on with his signatures, especially the matte black Jazzmaster. One of the few things that has held me back a bit is that I've never even seen a review of the LTD, but your reply has definitely made me more sure of my decision.

Unless I see an actual Jim Root signature for around 200-300$ less than usual or I feel like waiting 'till my birthday in the summer, I'm going with the LTD. Thanks a ton man!

Dude, If you like a Jazzmaster look then definitely look into a Charvel Skatecaster. That thing is a beast. Cheap, Emg's, Floyd(Can be blocked or staying in one tuning) and 24 frets.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Cheeseshark
Thanks a ton man!

No problem!

I mean it's 99% like a Jim Root Tele for half the price...might as well. I tried to look everywhere for people's opinions after I got it (I knew it was a solid guitar but still) but like you've found there's nothing out there. The only way you'll get a better deal is if you find it used for $300 like I did.
What do you guys think? Wait till June and spend more on the real deal, or get it now but a lower quality but still cool version?
Quote by Cheeseshark
If my Budget went up to 1200$ I would just get this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-jim-root-artist-series-telecaster-electric-guitar
Although I might have that much if I wait a bit.
Also don't almost all RGs have basswood bodies? Not really my thing.

I couldn't tell you. Ibanezs aren't my thing. But if around that price all they offer is basswood then it's not just their signature guitars that are overpriced but the entire brand.
I'm biased

My way of looking at it is I have all the specs of the Jim Root Tele without the name attached to it for when I go out and try and make my own sound/image. I would've liked a Fender logo but it's a fair trade off IMO.
Quote by dthmtl3
I couldn't tell you. Ibanezs aren't my thing. But if around that price all they offer is basswood then it's not just their signature guitars that are overpriced but the entire brand.

Amazing how you can hate basswood so much just by thinking that it's always the same species of basswood that appears in cheap guitars. I have basswood in my Ibanez Universe and absolutely love it. Have some cheap alder in my strat, it's pretty meh. My custom has different kind of alder, much better one of course, and love it too.

Quote by Cheeseshark
What do you guys think? Wait till June and spend more on the real deal, or get it now but a lower quality but still cool version?

It'd be stupid to use a lot of money on a Jim Root Tele/Strat/other sig if you don't REALLY EFFIN BADLY want a Jim Root sig.

And the Fender Jim Root is pretty ridiculously priced.. I mean.. You can get a Blacktop Tele HH and mod EMGs to it.. basically DONE. And a lot less money used. On the other hand I wouldn't put EMGs in a Blacktop, the pickups are good enough.

Also, TS, you could check out the Ibanez RGD range. Extended scale length helps with string tension, since you're probably going to drop-tune. They used to have some budget models in that range.. but can't find them on the site.. you can find used if that's okay to you!

I'll vote +1 for the TE-406. If that's what you want, then you should go for that. It's not really a tele.. as someone said here.. the only thing that faintly hits a tele is the shape, there's nothing else "traditional" about it.

IF you've got the money for Ibanez Iron Label series, you should check them out if you like the RG shape. Amazing guitars for the price, tested a 7-string of that series, real quality for the price.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by Sakke
Amazing how you can hate basswood so much just by thinking that it's always the same species of basswood. I have basswood in my Ibanez Universe and absolutely love it. Have some cheap alder in my strat, it's pretty meh. My custom has different kind of alder, much better one of course, and love it too.
And the Fender Jim Root is pretty ridiculously priced.. I mean.. You can get a Blacktop Tele HH and mod EMGs to it.. basically DONE. And a lot less money used. On the other hand I wouldn't put EMGs in a Blacktop, the pickups are good enough.

I'll vote +1 for the TE-406. If that's what you want, then you should go for that. It's not really a tele.. as someone said here.. the only thing that faintly hits a tele is the shape, there's nothing else "traditional" about it.

IF you've got the money for Ibanez Iron Label series, you should check them out if you like the RG shape. Amazing guitars for the price, tested a 7-string of that series, real quality for the price.

I don't hate basswood I've just heard that it's fairly soft and I would rather not break my guitar. You're probably right about the Jim Root tele though, and that's the cheapest of his signatures!
Quote by Cheeseshark
I don't hate basswood I've just heard that it's fairly soft and I would rather not break my guitar. You're probably right about the Jim Root tele though, and that's the cheapest of his signatures!

Soft wood can be easier for manufacturers to use, some think it's also harder to work with cause it gives way.. there is a finish on guitars for a reason, if there wasn't, guitar made out of any WOOD would get some serious knocks and cavities. My Universe is used, from 1999, it has seen some life, but the dings are barely visible. I've knocked it a few times too, but haven't caused any damage.. sooo
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Also I do REALLY want a jim root sig, it's like my dream guitar. It's just that I'm not sure if I should get the budget LTD version or save for the real deal.
IMO i would look into a used 1550 1570 ibanez prestige for <$600 from GC's used site. good trem, way better quality than the others for the dollar. you can find for a little more get the non trem Prestige too (i can't remember what model). new pickups and you are in business.

or an Iron label. very impressive IMO. i played both a 7 and a 6 and was pleasantly surprised.

or if you are set on the signature thing a fender blacktop and install EMG's.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
According to all the replies I read, I would say either.

However, I love my Dean for metal.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
Are you near a Musicgoround or a good Craigslist area? You don't want to pay $600 or more for a metal guitar with actives. My bandmate just bought an ltd viper-400 for $285. The emgs are worth $200 alone. Just looking out for ya...
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
Quote by CarbonDeath
Are you near a Musicgoround or a good Craigslist area? You don't want to pay $600 or more for a metal guitar with actives. My bandmate just bought an ltd viper-400 for $285. The emgs are worth $200 alone. Just looking out for ya...

I'm like 40 mins away from L.A, not sure if that's a good craigslist area. And I've never head of Musicgoround