Hi all! Just signed up here to make a thread asking for some assistance in a custom project I'm working on. I'm attempting to put together a guitar with a red and black color scheme and I'm looking for a neck with a solid red fretboard with black bar inlays, but for the life of me I cannot find an outfit that offers finished fretboards. I contacted Warmoth about it and they couldn't help me. I know they exist, I believe Kerry King has something similar and I know that Fieldy has that all-white bass with a finished white fretboard. Any ideas would be really appreciated. Thank you!
I've seen several unique and even production guitars with painted/stained fingerboards, but have never seen anyone making painted fingerboards for sale. You might have to contact a local luthier.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 29, 2015,
A red fretboard? As in bright red? Wouldn't that look really garish?

I suppose the closest thing I can think of to what you're looking for is a Padouk fretboard.

Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
You could find a raw maple neck with the black markers you like and some good quality red paint and then clear poly over it and buff it for a professional look, my buddy (who paints cars) did a stunning cobalt blue fretboard on a maple board with black block inlays which he meticulosly had to mask for a client who then had the frets dressed and polished to remove the paint, I used to have a picture but unfortunately I can't find it.

The masking was tedious but the end result looked very professional!

The clear kept the paint in good shape, at least for the 5 or so years my buddy was still in contact with the guy.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 29, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
I suppose the closest thing I can think of to what you're looking for is a Padouk fretboard.

+1 to that. Or maybe even Cocobolo although I'm not sure how suitable that is as a fretboard! Definitely do the research on that one.

Jeff Keisel from Carvin (and I guess now Keisel guitars) has been doing stained fretboards recently - mostly blues I think, but they look wicked. I don't think you could just by the fretboard or neck though, you'd have to order a custom guitar.

Also I'm fairly certain Skervesen have stained some maple fretboards before. But again I don't know/think they'd do just a neck. But they might.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
Cocobolo is a another good material to make a fretboard from.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Try Feibings leather dye. I used it to make my light rosewood fretboard jet black, dye just wipes off the white inlays.
http://www.fiebing.com/catalogue/dyes/?product=172

I know they make it in a number of colors including red, I am not sure how the red would show up on a rosewood board, but it would probably do exactly what you want on a maple board. Also its more like stain than paint, it soaks into the wood instead of just covering it.
Warmoth offers bloodwood fretboards. I have a bloodwood on Wenge neck that plays awsome and is about as red as you can get.
^ I was thinking bloodwood also or stain
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate