I want to learn how to play Muse - Knights Of Cydonia but im nowhere near good enough to play it. I know most guitarists would say its pointless as it would just discourage you.
Well as long as you don't expect to be able to play it all the way through at full speed I'm sure there are at least parts of it you can learn. You can also learn it slower than the original and work on it over a longer time span as well.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I would not call Knights of Cydonia "expert level".
What Zaphod said is pretty much right though. Don't expect to be able to play it any good.
Quote by bigblockelectra
What can you play right now?

Right now the hardest thing I can play would be bohemian rhapsody, and I can only play the solo at half speed.
Quote by vayne92
I would not call Knights of Cydonia "expert level".
What Zaphod said is pretty much right though. Don't expect to be able to play it any good.

My biggest problem is picking fast, I know im supposed to angle the pick a little but im still not getting it.
Just a few months after I picked up a guitar for the first time, I started trying to learn SRV's "Pride and Joy". I don't know if you'd call that "expert" or not, but it's not an easy song. I didn't expect to be able to play it for a long, long time. I'm still not there yet.

I learned a lot of things playing it, though. In following Justin Sandercoe's lessons, I'm just now in the Intermediate portion, and he's teaching things that are in "Pride and Joy". I've already gotten those things down.

I think if you're realistic about how long it will take you to play the song well, it could be useful to your learning, and give you some fun. When you finally get to the point where things start to click with the song, you'll likely be as excited as I was.
Knights of Cydonia is one of the first songs I ever learned it's not that difficult technically just a lot to remember.
Quote by Charles Ives
Stand up and take your dissonance like a man. I don't write music for sissy ears.

Quote by Béla Bartók
Competitions are for horses, not artists.

Ambient Symphonic Depressive Southern Melodic Blackened Death/Doom Metal
Quote by Monkeyleg

I think if you're realistic about how long it will take you to play the song well, it could be useful to your learning, and give you some fun. When you finally get to the point where things start to click with the song, you'll likely be as excited as I was.

Yeah thats like me trying to learn the solo in Hotel California, Im still playing it really slow but im hoping to be able to play fulls speed eventually. I just cant play fast enough to do it.
Quote by hurricane0202
I want to learn how to play Muse - Knights Of Cydonia but im nowhere near good enough to play it. I know most guitarists would say its pointless as it would just discourage you.

I find it helps to punch above your weight. Give it a shot. Some things are much more accessible than they sound.
Well learning a song above your skill level is possible. But depending on how far the song is above your skill level this could turn into a very daunting task. If the song is way above you skill level, I hope you're VERY tenacious and have a lot of patience to learn it bit by bit very slowly.
Whatever you want to learn it does not matter at all or where you are at!

With that said knowing how to go about from day 1 like play it to a metronome, do some legato ex, do some picking ex etc. so you develop the skills it takes to get it down.

Ok let's say master of puppets!

To master the down pick you got to develop down pick once you get the riffs down and once you got it you have it. It stays as a habit.

The earlier you practise right in getting it down with a metronome and gets to be a firm habit the better. It does not matter how technical it is or fast SRV blues.
As long as you know going in that you may not be able to get it done yet, then it is a great idea. But if failing at it will hurt your momentum then you shouldn't. I say go for it but keep the bar set low - expect to fail - that way if you do, you won't beat yourself up over it. It's a great exercise and you should treat it that way as opposed to performing a song.

I don't think it would hurt..I remember back when I could barely play, I spent hours trying to learn carry on my wayward son and eventually could play the intro. I don't think that necessarily helped my playing, but it made me so freaking happy so if it's something you wanna do, go for it just dont expect to master it.

One other thing to note is that if youre pushing too hard youre just gonna be spending ALL your time tediously learning that one song...it might be better to enjoy the process. That's not to say don't push yourself, but if I had a choice between learning 1 song thats gonna take me 2 months or 30 songs that'll each take a day or so, I'd probably choose the 30, because I think at the end of the day practicing guitar should be fun, not work, and you can use easier songs to learn techniques and then in 2 years you can go back to that song and it'll only take you 2 days instead of 2 months*.

*These are all arbitrary numbers I made up, idk how long it'll actually take you :P
Last edited by bloodandempire at Feb 4, 2015,
There's nothing wrong with trying to learn an expert level song - it will help your finger dexterity if nothing else - but the majority of your practice time should be spent working on stuff more suitable to your current level of playing. You need to learn to walk before you learn to fly.