The last few days I've been taking pickups apart as I must have 20-30 of them laying around not worth the time for ebay and found some cool mods to them so I remember months if not years ago on a website / other forum they mentioned this seymour duncan pickup that they made for Tony Iommi which later went to Scott Ian of Anthrax called the diablo was potted with epoxy,

getting the "right" wax all the snobs say to use is tedious and epoxy I can get down the street... now...I could use romantic candles from the dollar store as an alternative or not to use wax at all but I'm working with high output pickups so it's a definite must that I don't get any hiss.

so yeah.. would epoxy work. Any insight I'm all ears.

I don't know about all the audiophool tone nonsense but assuming the coil is fully saturated with the potting material then it should do the job. The reason wax is commonly used is to make it easy to repair the pickup in the future. Lacquer is also used but is much harder to reverse-engineer. Epoxy will be completely impossible to undo.

So basically just use whatever you want or can easily get. My Peavey Horizon's pickups are epoxy potted and are pretty high-output and they sound fine (though the current tone control wiring could be making them sound a bit too dark).

I dont see how the potting material would affect the tone of the pickup to any noticable extent, unless its dielectric constant makes that big of a difference or something. I always take audiophile tone mojo claims with a very large grain of salt until i can experiment for myself.
I don't see any snobbery around the wax, it's just about using stuff that melts properly and doesn't gunk up real bad. I've never heard anyone suggest that the type of wax makes any sound difference.

Epoxy should be fine. It would certainly protect the coils better, although on the other hand if you ever need to repair the pickup you are SOL. Ditto for making a mistake when potting, or if a wire gets pulled or shorts out.

EMG pots with epoxy, though, and so do Armstrong and even a few Gibson models have been potted or sealed with epoxy, so it's not unprecedented. I think the trick will be making sure the pickup cover is very well sealed (most epoxied pickups have closed covers, i.e. no pole pieces showing) and that you have some sort of containment plan for the curing process. Personally I'd prefer the wax on a decent set of pickups, but if you're just messing around with extras and don't care about possibly ruining or disfiguring one in the trial process, go for it.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't see any snobbery around the wax, it's just about using stuff that melts properly and doesn't gunk up real bad. I've never heard anyone suggest that the type of wax makes any sound difference.

The Fender rep that pops through my store once and again tells a great story about how Eric Johnson got kicked out of the custom shop because the workers were frustrated that he wanted to hear the difference in pickups that used wax that melted at different temperatures.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
We need a Godwin's law for Eric Johnson. That guy is the Hitler of taking your tone too seriously.
thanks for the insight , that is hilarious for Eric. Now if it was a les paul or whatever where you don't need to constantly take the pickguard off this might be fun but that is extreme overkill. I draw the line at capacitor materials.

I remember Eric was even claiming that he could hear the difference between 9v battery brands and he sanded the part of his strat bridges the 6 screws come in contact with the wood and a few silly things.

yeah for Epoxy the pickups are cheap and I had this idea to combine this coil from that pickup with this coil from that pickup... as well as changing magnet material to Alnico 8 on a few.
Well, the battery thing gets thrown around a lot, and there is some truth to it, in context. He was talking about using them in his Fuzz Face, which is a pedal exceptionally sensitive to input voltage. Different types of battery (alkaline, rechargeable, non-alkaline) all sound rather different in them because their voltages vary lots. I don't remember exact numbers but I recall testing a non-alkaline at 9.25 and a rechargeable at 8.6. That is a huge difference in the fuzz world, and the sounds are night and day. Anyone could hear it. 8.6 volts on a FF circuit sounds like complete garbage, it's not a situation of "spot the difference" so much as rendering the pedal unusable. This is easily reproducible if you have a PP2+ with the "brownout" knobs.

Brand, of course, is a different ballgame but it would not surprise me if there was a bit of variation in the voltage their "9V" batteries run at. Not to encourage the guy, I don't think I need to re-think the tonal implications of my pickguard screw metallurgy any time soon, but I can see where that notion might have started before it was taken to a perhaps unnecessary conclusion.
paraffin wax is what you use. put a pot of boiling water and then a pot with only paraffin wax blocks inside the boiling pot. then when the wax is melted you dip the pickups baseplate down in the wax and scrape the excess off
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate