Help !!! I can't get barre chord to sound perfectly without mute....

I tried many tutorial from youtube but they seem not to work.
You just have to get your fingers and hand strong enough to hold all the strings down. Practice, practice, practice and dont give up. I remember feeling the same way. Make sure your guitar is properly set up. That will make it easier.
Jackson Pro King V
Schecter LE Hellraiser C-1
Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Peavey 6505+
Marshall1960a
Line 6 Wireless G50> Boss TU-3> Dunlop Orignal Crybaby> Ibanez TS-9> MXR Smart Gate> Digitech Turbo Flange> MXR Black Label Chorus> MXR Carbon Copy
As pentallica says, the answer is "yes". Barre chords frequently give beginners fits, and much depends on having your guitar set up properly. A high action, especially at the nut, will make barres more difficult.

Have your instrument checked to see if it needs a set-up, then work on very minor hand position changes to get all six strings "clean".
Also, very rarely do we really need to play all 6 clean... Lots of jazz guys are happy with four-string chord shapes.
As said one of many things that takes a while to play cleanly on all 6 strings or how many of those you have on your guitar.

I can recall around 2001 playing a certain Danish song (National evergreen by now since 1975) and my rhytm guitarist/singer saying: ah these bar chords? Well you are not alone I replied and the band went into the song.

Since then I am so used to it and it has become part of the playing habits.

The tip is to play along with a metronome and make sure not just the tempo but that it sounds clean and accurate. Keep doing that and the habit will be stored in your mind with time. Problem solved.
Last edited by anders.jorgense at Jan 30, 2015,
Quote by Bikewer
Also, very rarely do we really need to play all 6 clean... Lots of jazz guys are happy with four-string chord shapes.

I'd also add that even if you do want all six strings, barre chords are the boring option. Playing the bass note with your thumb gives a lot of more interesting choices Or allows you to play the barre shapes more easily if they really are what you want.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Some people just play the stuff that comes easy to them or things that they already can do well. I think working on stuff that gives you a hard time is a good way to improve quickly.
Barre chords are a perfect example, I struggle with those too. I play the intro to Walk Don't Run every time I pick up my guitar. It's one of those things that seems like it would be easy, but it isn't for me.
they are a pain. but try to keep a straight wrist, use proper fretting hand thumb placement, and remember how little pressure you need to apply to get clean notes, and it gets easier over time.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
In actuality, you can get away with NOT playing the entire Barre chord, but I found that to be true only after playing for a long while and having the coordination in my fret hand / picking hand way more developed.

practice to get all 6 strings to ring, you will then have the finger / hand strength to play it all.

I still have a hard time getting a Barre F to ring clearly / clean on my acoustic.
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.
One thing another forum member posted that really helped me out was to remember to keep your barring finger as close to the fret as possible. That gives you way more room and flexibility for your other fingers. Practice! It gets easier!
Also turn your finger and use the side of it go to Justin guiatr and see how its done
Last edited by Tazz3 at Jan 30, 2015,
I could get 6 string to sound clean but if I put other 3 finger in, it's will always mute on the B string.

Could someone kind enough to post a photo of you left hand holding a barre chord?
I'm trying to play Creep by radiohead but as I said I couldn't make it sound clean.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'd also add that even if you do want all six strings, barre chords are the boring option. Playing the bass note with your thumb gives a lot of more interesting choices Or allows you to play the barre shapes more easily if they really are what you want.

I've never been able to get the thumb to work for fretting those bass notes. I think it's just because I have pretty long fingers, including the thumbs. I've watched tons of videos of people demonstrating the technique, and tried so many times to get it, but I just can't seem to bend my thumb far enough to fret a note, while fretting higher notes with the other fingers. The joint just hits a wall, right before I'm applying enough pressure to fret, rather than mute, the string.
Quote by sosxradar
I could get 6 string to sound clean but if I put other 3 finger in, it's will always mute on the B string.

Could someone kind enough to post a photo of you left hand holding a barre chord?
I'm trying to play Creep by radiohead but as I said I couldn't make it sound clean.

I really doubt you're doing anything wrong with your hand. Just keep practicing. You just haven't built up the hand strength for it yet. It'll come. I was playing guitar for well over a year (shit, maybe even close to two) before I could consistently hit all my barre chords without having an extra pause while I clamped down extra hard.
You can do it! I play with a very cheap acoustic guitar with a 4mm action. If i can do it, you can.
Just Don't give up
Last edited by sam2289 at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by the_bi99man
I really doubt you're doing anything wrong with your hand. Just keep practicing. You just haven't built up the hand strength for it yet. It'll come. I was playing guitar for well over a year (shit, maybe even close to two) before I could consistently hit all my barre chords without having an extra pause while I clamped down extra hard.

I'm watching a youtube video right now and the song that I want to play was using only thumb instead of of barre chord maybe I need to change my technique.
Quote by sam2289
You can do it! I play with a very cheap acoustic guitar with a 4mm action. If i can do it, you can.
Just Don't give up

I can do it but it do take me a while to arrange my finger and make it all sound clean.
It took me 6 months to sound every single string (The E and A shape) and i made the mistake of waiting till the sound was perfect to start changing between them, don't do that, start practicing the changes and don't give too much attention to the sound so when you get them perfectly you'll be able to change right away.
It's hard to know for sure without seeing the guitar, but even on a guitar with a good setup and low action beginners will find barre chords very difficult. They are just something that take A LOT of practice and building strength.

It took me 2-3 months of practicing them before I started to feel comfortable with them, and even then I was still muting the high E string sometimes instead of playing it. As others have said though, you can often get away with that without it being noticeable. Some songs actually purposely don't play the full barre chord (it can sound better sometimes, particularly with distortion).

Quote by sosxradar
I'm watching a youtube video right now and the song that I want to play was using only thumb instead of of barre chord maybe I need to change my technique.

That is one way some guitarists (Jimi Hendrix most famously) play 6th string root barre chords, but you will need large hands to pull it off. It won't help develop strength in your hand though for other barre chords that don't start on the 6th string, so even if you have large hands I'd recommend learning them the normal way first.
As long as the guitar is setup properly, in theory, barre chords are supposed to be easier with a smaller radius neck. I don't really find there to be much difference, but on paper the natural curve of the finger is supposed to fall into place with a round radius.
I've been playing guitar for 44 years. I can play Barre chords and make them sound good but after playing them for about 3 minutes straight my hand still starts to hurt. They're just hard to do. The thing is there are only certain instances where playing 6 string chords sounds good. Acoustic and 12 string acoustic rhythm and very brightly toned electric guitars played as rhythm and turned down low as a background instrument sound good in a band. Of course they sound good in a solo performance too.

But a lead player playing in a band needs to stay right away from them. When the guitar is set at lead volume 6 string chords are just too noisy. I almost never play more than 3 strings at a time. Most of the time I'm playing 1 string.

The intro to the song "Smoke on the Water" was played with 2 string intervals. When I was a young guitarist I tried to play it using Barre Chords and it never sounded right.

So anyway, if you plan to play rhythm guitar or be a solo performer you really need to practice those Barre chords and build up your strength. They really require it.

Update: You can also use a Capo.
Last edited by stueycaster at Feb 3, 2015,
Think of it like. It's OK that your barre chords aren't perfect now. Keep trying to improve them. But guitar is a long run thing. You won't get things perfect right away, or even in weeks/months. You don't go about practicing a certain technique until you've "learned it", you don't just go practicing bends for a week and then you've mastered them. Barre chords are the same. Give it time, keep playing crappy barre chords - they'll sound much better eventually and don't worry about it.