Hi folks

I'm looking for some advice/recommendations for a versatile distortion pedal to use through the clean channel with a Roland cube 40xl.

I would like something to get the distorted sounds of artists like RATM,metallica ,Alice in chains etc.Something that could cover a few genres.Im quite partial to pedals by boss as I think most I've tried are pretty good plus they are well built to last.

The only two I've really thought of is the metal zone which I've read a lot of mixed reviews and the metal core which I've read is a lot better.I was also thinking perhaps I should get a overdrive pedal yet again probably by boss.

I have no issues buying used and my budget would probably be £60 per pedal.

Thanks everyone.
Look for a Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde, preferably the newer V2 version. It is an OD/Dist pedal all in one very well made housing, with the OD Being based on the classic TubeScreamer.

New, they run under $160, and I've seen them for as little as @$70 used.

http://visualsound.net/jekyll-hyde/

There is also the Red Witch Famulus OD/Dist, which is an extremely nice pedal, and which- for some reason- Amazon is selling for @$90 off right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Witch-Analog-Famulus-Distortion/dp/B001WAKLMY
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jan 30, 2015,
The limit of your rig is your amp, and you won't get a particularly good sound with any pedal.

Sorry to have to tell you TS, but what you really need is a new amp.
Stick to the amp's fx for now, and don't get caught up in the boss' hype, they don't make good sounding high gain distortions if ya ask me.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^ yeah a lot of the boss pedals are actually really good (and as you said in the opening post, reliable), but the distortions wouldn't be my favourite.

a rat is pretty versatile, though. You can get some cheaper clones as well which wouldn't break the bank and might tide you over until you get a better amp. I haven't tried it with a cube, though (digital modellers don't always play nicely with dirt pedals).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Honestly, you'd be better off getting a better amp and a decent OD pedal. Yes, it'll cost more, but over the long term, you'll thank yourself.
OK guys thanks for the input.i shall have a look at suggestions.

What amps do you recommend?I don't want tube amps as I don't want the agrovation of replacing tubes.

Dave mc I agree with using modelling channels with pedals as it sounds awful.I use the clean channel which sounds good or at least enough to get by bearing in mind that i only play with headphones on so I don't disturb others and I will never be more than a bedroom player.

Thanks
Quote by smittyanthrax
Dave mc I agree with using modelling channels with pedals as it sounds awful.I use the clean channel which sounds good or at least enough to get by bearing in mind that i only play with headphones on so I don't disturb others and I will never be more than a bedroom player.
:c Don't think so low of yourself, I'm sure with the right amount of investment in time and gear, you can be whatever you want to be c:

As far as the distortion goes, no don't get a pedal just for distortion.

19:43 http://youtu.be/JPNOgdmiW5U?t=19m43s

Just boost that with a tubescreamer-esque overdrive, which also has uses with other gear too.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 30, 2015,
For amps you could get something like a Randall RG80. It's a 1x12 combo and not that expensive. I'm assuming you're from the UK so they shouldn't be that expensive. I have the head version of that and it's great. With controlled use of the gain and controlled use of the Volume knob on your guitar you can get all these tones you're aiming for.
Well, you can call me crazy
You can call me wrong, 'cause
See I was born a liar, albatross
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
For amps you could get something like a Randall RG80. It's a 1x12 combo and not that expensive. I'm assuming you're from the UK so they shouldn't be that expensive. I have the head version of that and it's great. With controlled use of the gain and controlled use of the Volume knob on your guitar you can get all these tones you're aiming for.

I am from the uk. Im a bit disappointed that most of the comments are basically get a better amp.i thought the cube done a pretty good job.the clean,acoustic and extreme channels seemed pretty good to me but i do value everyones opinions and help.
Quote by smittyanthrax
I am from the uk. Im a bit disappointed that most of the comments are basically get a better amp.i thought the cube done a pretty good job.the clean,acoustic and extreme channels seemed pretty good to me but i do value everyones opinions and help.

well sadly your current amp probably won't sound much better with a pedal in front. thing is that many here will only recommend something if it is felt that it will work as you want it to. that is just trying to save you money that might be better put elsewhere. your amp does have limitations and that is just the reality of it. i'd rather tell you something that will work than worry that you might get a little miffed if i say what you don't really want to hear.
Quote by smittyanthrax

Then you could get something like an Amptweaker Tightmetal. About 150quid. you would have to stretch your budget but that thing slays.
Fly on, fly on
Yeah, I had a Micro Cube and tried it with a distortion pedal and it sounded horrible. So just try to cope with the sounds the amp has or get a better amp.

And don't worry about changing tubes. I bought my amp used and it's like 15 years old. I have had it for three years now and I have only had to change one tube (that was already microphonic when I bought it). So you don't have to change tubes all the time. And changing them isn't hard either - it's like changing light bulbs. So don't be afraid of tube amps. They aren't as fragile as people say.

Many times the best sounding amps are tube amps. Of course there are good sounding solid states too but they are harder to find. Most solid states are cheap practice amps - and that's because people don't want to buy expensive solid states (unless they are extremely versatile - meaning digital - like Axe FX and that kind of stuff) because they don't have tubes in them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
A new amp is the new target now.I asked for opinions and help and you guys said a better amp so that's the advice I will take.

Can you lot give me a few ideas on tube amps as I don't know any?

Thanks
Something like a Randall RD50 combo would be good. The cleas are very nice and the distortion is even better. Or you could get the 5 watt combo of that. They go for like 200quid or something like that.

RD1 Head-165 pound

http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rd_1_head.htm

RD5 combo-222 pound
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rd5c.htm

RD20 Head-322 pound
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rd_20_h_head.htm

RD5 head-193 pound
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rd_5_head.htm.

RD1combo-193pound
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rd1c.htm

A 1x12 cab with a Vintage 30-73pounds (Open back)
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g112vintage.htm

A 2x12 cab with Vintage 30's (Closed Back)-145 pound
http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
Fly on, fly on
Last edited by Fryderyczek at Jan 31, 2015,
LINK-1>>>><a href="****************1yTaGBa">****************1yTaGBa</a>
LINK-2>>>><a href="*************/6AKuD">*************/6AKuD
</a>
I feel a bit embarrassed asking this but how do 'heads' work?do I connect these to separate speakers?

I've never used one before I've only ever used solid state amps.
Quote by smittyanthrax
I feel a bit embarrassed asking this but how do 'heads' work?do I connect these to separate speakers?

yeah. a head only has the amp guts in it and has t be hooked up to a speaker cab. a combo has both. this applies to both tube and solid state amps by the way
Quote by smittyanthrax

Don't worry, I use solid state exclusively. With a head you just hook it up to a cab and off you go. Besides, how much do you want to spend?
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
Don't worry, I use solid state exclusively. With a head you just hook it up to a cab and off you go. Besides, how much do you want to spend?

I've no idea at the moment.I need to get my head around what I want and what I need.I need to find out which brands to avoid and which ones are good.

I'm not the most knowledgeable with these things as I never bothered to much with amps when I started so I never had any real knowledge to start with.
Quote by smittyanthrax
I've no idea at the moment.I need to get my head around what I want and what I need.I need to find out which brands to avoid and which ones are good.

I'm not the most knowledgeable with these things as I never bothered to much with amps when I started so I never had any real knowledge to start with.

Avoid stuff like the Line 6 SPiders and the Marshall MG's. Same with the MArshall AVT's. if you prefer solid state stuff, look at the Randalls(RG,RH,Century, that stuff) or the older Marshall Valvestates(Like the VS8100, or the VS8100).
Fly on, fly on
Right let me take a stab at this.correct me if I'm wrong as I probably am

A combo amp has valves with a speaker so I just plug and play and that basically me in business?

A head needs a speaker connected to it as a head has no output?

Am I right or am I that clueless?

Sorry about this.I do appreciate the help.
Quote by smittyanthrax
Right let me take a stab at this.correct me if I'm wrong as I probably am

A combo amp has valves with a speaker so I just plug and play and that basically me in business?

A head needs a speaker connected to it as a head has no output?

Am I right or am I that clueless?

Sorry about this.I do appreciate the help.

Combo = all in one unit (tube or solid state makes no difference)

Head = amp guts only you need a seperate speaker cab (once again tube or SS)
Right, you have generally two types of amps. Solid State and tube
Tubes, both combo and head need valves to play. A combo you can plug in and play.
A head you would also need a speaker. You need a speaker and a cable to join both of them.

With SS you also have combo and tube.
Combo-same as the tube, plug in and play.
Head-same with tubes, cab, cable and then you can play.
SS amps have headphone outputs, whilst tubes don't.
That's the differences.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by smittyanthrax
So all tube amps have no headphones input?

well i wouldn't say all but it is an uncommon feature on most. some of the low wattage newer models might have that option
Quote by monwobobbo
well i wouldn't say all but it is an uncommon feature on most. some of the low wattage newer models might have that option

Its pretty important for me that it does as I don't like to bother others.
Quote by smittyanthrax
Its pretty important for me that it does as I don't like to bother others.

volume knob is a wonderful thing. you can always get a multifx unit with a headphone jack for those times when you have to be quiet. i use a 50 watt tube combo for practice and manage not to piss of the neighbors (much lol).
Quote by smittyanthrax

Thanks

yeah it might sound ok through the clean channel. some of the modelling amps have a kind of clean channel without modelling which is sort of designed for pedal use, so if yours is like that it might work. I'd want to try it first before spending any money though

and yeah as will says, don't think so low of yourself. Unless you mean that you only want to play at home, which is totally different and totally ok.

Quote by MaggaraMarine

And don't worry about changing tubes. I bought my amp used and it's like 15 years old. I have had it for three years now and I have only had to change one tube (that was already microphonic when I bought it). So you don't have to change tubes all the time. And changing them isn't hard either - it's like changing light bulbs. So don't be afraid of tube amps. They aren't as fragile as people say.

Many times the best sounding amps are tube amps. Of course there are good sounding solid states too but they are harder to find. Most solid states are cheap practice amps - and that's because people don't want to buy expensive solid states (unless they are extremely versatile - meaning digital - like Axe FX and that kind of stuff) because they don't have tubes in them.

Just bear in mind, with tube amps which are meant to be biased, it's not just like changing a lightbulb. Your vc30 (i think) is cathode-biased, so it doesn't need to be biased. But adjustable fixed bias amps (worst, most confusing name ever, I didn't come up with the name ) normally have to be biased when changing the power tubes. Most bigger, higher gain amps are fixed bias (but not all). You can get an amp that doesn't have to be biased if you want to avoid biasing, so that tube swaps are plug and play, but it also might not do the tones you want, so it's kind of a judgement call.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by monwobobbo
honestly no. small speaker and just a preamp tube. nothiing exciting about that amp

OK noted.back to the drawing board.
If you like that Micro Terror, then get it. Just get a boost like a Digitech Bad Monkey to boost it into metal territory.

For a speaker I'd look at something like a Orange PPC1x12. It's got one Celestion V30, which is the standard for metal.
Fly on, fly on
Quote by Fryderyczek
If you like that Micro Terror, then get it. Just get a boost like a Digitech Bad Monkey to boost it into metal territory.

For a speaker I'd look at something like a Orange PPC1x12. It's got one Celestion V30, which is the standard for metal.

overdrive not likely to do much with that amp. he'd be better off getting something else. that amp is strictly a practice at home deal and imho not a very good one.