Page 1 of 4
I was reading an article about the James Holmes trial (aurora shooting massacre shooter), and he is pleading not guilty by reason of insanity.

That lead me to this article,

http://www.madinamerica.com/2012/03/i-dont-believe-in-mental-illness-do-you/

Mainly the sentence that stuck out was

"I see them as I see myself, a person who may have various experiences of human emotional suffering which sometimes takes the form of madness."

I really don't know where I'm going with this, mainly just about mental disorders in general. I know a lot of people take pride in letting someone know they have ADD or ADHD and saying "others don't know how hard it is" for them, so that's why they take amphetamines. I know a lot of people that could do better with their life while on Adderall or Vyvanse that aren't diagnosed. Some people are just better at things than others, and some people can't do things as well as others. To say someone is insane, or on a different realm of mental vision than the average normal person, is dumb because we are all in different realms of mental vision, some just are extremes. So do we sell them drugs so they don't cause harm to the rest of society? In the process, fueling the idea that mental disorders are all around us. I'd say my mind is pretty disorderly, but conversation with others keeps me grounded. Then again, I've never met a schizophrenic. I'm going to break this up into 1. ADHD/ADD 2. Depression 3. Schizophrenia
Gear:
Musicman Stingray 4 string HH
Tech 21 Sansamp Para Driver
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by USCENDONE BENE
I think you're oversimplifying things a bit.

I do a bit, tend to overlook details. Lets make this a yes or no question?
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Nah, they're all just faking it, man.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
They are very much real. Some people just exxagerrate or make up their conditions. There are some made up disorders(like the one where that girl thought she was dead but disney movies saved her). But ones like you listed are very real for a lot of people. Unfortunately peoples brains being wired differently has caused a negative stigma to be attached to mental disorders. Society still isn't accepting of them as a whole and still doesn't fully understand them all on a neuro/biological level, so we don't know how to fully deal with such people. That's why some people's disorders get so bad, or they can't continue living under such nonacceptance and unfortunately some of those people go crazy and commit terrible atrocities.
Quote by EndTheRapture51

God DAMMIT I was going to post this.
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by fenderbassist12
I'm going to break this up into 1. ADHD/ADD 2. Depression 3. Schizophrenia

lol
i don't know why i feel so dry
you're an idiot
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
I know that with schizophrenia the brain is just different. It has some parts bigger and some parts smaller than in normal people so their reality is completely different from ours. So yes Schizophrenia is real, depression is also real but some people mistake sadness for it and ADHD is also real but many people are diagnosed with it without having it and many do have it but go their whole lives without being diagnosed.

Conclusion: Yes, mental disorders are real.
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
Last edited by Irondevil at Jan 30, 2015,
Not all mental illnesses are real. Some are just for lazy ass attention *****s who need a kick up the butt.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Okay I can agreee yes they are real, but the reason I made this thread is I feel like a lot of people opt on the "mental disorder" train to excuse them from being treated normally. Also, I'm sure a lot of people with mental disorders are not diagnosed, and a lot of people without mental disorders are diagnosed.

Sorry for making such a general thread.

My Grandma has Alzheimer's and that is one hell of a mental disease. I'm thinking schizophrenia is also a disease. Depression I'm not sure if it is a disease or disorder. ADHD - disorder. So would you say mental diseases are very much real, where as disorders can be subjective to the doctor?
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by Bladez22
you're an idiot

care to guide me in the right direction, guy?
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by fenderbassist12
Okay I can agreee yes they are real, but the reason I made this thread is I feel like a lot of people opt on the "mental disorder" train to excuse them from being treated normally. Also, I'm sure a lot of people with mental disorders are not diagnosed, and a lot of people without mental disorders are diagnosed.

Sorry for making such a general thread.

My Grandma has Alzheimer's and that is one hell of a mental disease. I'm thinking schizophrenia is also a disease. Depression I'm not sure if it is a disease or disorder. ADHD - disorder. So would you say mental diseases are very much real, where as disorders can be subjective to the doctor?

Yeah I get what you mean. I know this guy with asperger syndrome who gets away with everything. I think we should be more acceptable of people with mental disorders, but in the end they have to comply with our rules not the other way around.

"our" refers to the society as a whole.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Could you have a mental disorder without yourself/others knowing? Maybe I have a mental disorder, or maybe I'm just another person with certain quirks.
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by fenderbassist12

"are mental disorders real?" is a pretty idiotic question, as the answer is yes, and will always be yes. Brains are very complex, and sometimes things are wired wrong, or certain chemicals go out of whack. Our current understanding is very limited, but to suggest that such problems don't exist is very ignorant, especially considering its normally followed by "they just need to cheer up" or some other bullshit.

and what are you on about "treating normally"?

"they must comply with our rules" lol
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
If theres a correlation between behaviour and a hormone/chemical or biological imbalance, the disease is undeniably real. Others in my opinion are just theories, that are either not yet proven, possibly a mix of multiple other disorders or simply misdiagnosed. Others still like depression, bipolar and schizophrenia are misunderstood. For example if you feel 'depressed' as many would classify it and its dued to the circumstances in your life then that by definition grief or bereavement. Its your bodys natural response to its enviornment. Depression as a disorder is a chemical imbalance which you have no control over and happens for no particular life event.
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
I think most people won't get what you mean, I'm not even sure if I do but I had a similar conversation before with one of my friends. We agreed that some disorders could very well just be the result of people unknowingly trying to distance their psyche from the psyche of those who struggle with some aspects in life.

Sort of like what happens with most public shootings, suicide bombings, hell even the war crimes of WW II. In all of these cases people try really hard to find external causes for the perpetrator's proclaimed insanity. Be it mental illness, video games, religious fundamentalism or a charismatic Nazi leader that somehow "brainwashed" people into insanity, there's always an unconscious but very real effort to establish some kind of barrier between society and the outcasts that were pushed over the edge.

People obviously find the idea that their brains aren't that different from the brains of murderers and rapists, that the only thing seperating them from the insane are the arbitrary rules which society imposes onto them, very unpleasant and unsettling.

There's always the desire to confidently claim "Oh, I wouldn't do that. No sir, not me because I'm normal." Not only because it seperates them from the insane in a much more tangible way but also because it eliminates the chance of society, its morals and its beliefs actually being in the wrong rather than the outcasts. It's really easy pretending that Hitler was a cartoonish evil villain that tricked the Germans into fanaticism and fought the good ol' American boys because they opposed his evil deeds when the only alternative is accepting that war is an experience so brutal that it blurres the lines between 'right' and 'wrong' to the point where absolutely nobody can rightfully claim to be capable of chosing the right actions if they were put into that situation.

But what me and my friend ultimately agreed on is that this kind of nihilism is only practical in some cases. It's an important concept to think about but ultimately doesn't achieve much in real life. Sure, the rapist may be only one step away from the abusive partner, who may be one step away from the hooligan, who may be one step away from a thief, who may ultimately be only one or two steps away from your average Joe, but you can't just use this logic to completely denounce mental illness.

You can't just say that the person who is constantly haunted by his thoughts and by what his eyes see is just some less normal type of individual who shouldn't be bothered. Same goes for most mental patients - their thoughts obviously differ enough from those of normal people that they need help to function in this world. In the most severe cases they may suffer tremendously and are at the same time a danger to society and brushing them off as some simple far away point on the Gauss curve will accomplish absolutely nothing, nor will it make anyone's life easier.

The only thing that type of thinking is truly good for is reminding oneself that people with mental issues are just that - people. That instead of our pity and fear what they truly diserve is a sense of dignity and acceptance. Instead of isolating and avoiding them like some animal with a contageous disease, we should treat them with the respect they deserve as human beings.

TL;DR - Society needs to clean up some of the shit in its closet but that doesn't mean that rapists should be teaching our children. They do need help as opposed to punishment and hate though. But so does society as a whole.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jan 30, 2015,
Neo, you're kind of being a turd. Focusing only on the people who might take advantage of the situation as if it has any bearing on the situation as a whole is what republicans do.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Mental disorders are 50% looking for attention, 50% looking for pity and 100% a SCAM
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by snipelfritz
Neo, you're kind of being a turd. Focusing only on the people who might take advantage of the situation as if it has any bearing on the situation as a whole is what republicans do.

What's wrong with being a republican? I stand proud for my country. What do commies like you do? Go to North Korea if you like communism that much.

Like I said, we should definitely help everyone and be understanding. But there is a point when people can take it too far. Not saying everyone does at all.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Like I said, we should definitely help everyone and be understanding. But there is a point when people can take it too far. Not saying everyone does at all.

Yeah, but why do you even need to say it?
Neo stop trolling, you're not good at it.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by Bladez22
"are mental disorders real?" is a pretty idiotic question, as the answer is yes, and will always be yes. Brains are very complex, and sometimes things are wired wrong, or certain chemicals go out of whack. Our current understanding is very limited, but to suggest that such problems don't exist is very ignorant, especially considering its normally followed by "they just need to cheer up" or some other bullshit.

and what are you on about "treating normally"?

"they must comply with our rules" lol

I guess I need to specify the difference between a mental disorder and a mental disease. Disease as degenerative to the brain, disorder as sort of a "handicap".

I do think it is easy for a lot of people to fall into a depressive episode, and yes I do think a lot of people could use a good talking to rather than medicine to cheer up.

Sorry for not researching this intensely before proposing conversation.

I was just struck seeing someone open fire on a movie theater and kill and injure many of them. Do you think James Holmes is insane? I feel like he could be fine brain-speaking, esp considering he was getting his phd in nueroscience.
Gear:
Ampeg V-4B
Ampeg SVT-212AV 2x12

Gibson SG Standard
Vox AC15
Keeley compressor
Keeley Dark Side
Boss RC-2 Loop
Korg Pandora
Crybaby Wah
Quote by fenderbassist12

They're real

P. S. If you ever doubted their existence, you are indeed an idiot.
Quote by chookiecookie
Wrong.

He's a ****ing idiot

yeah but is it a disease or a disorder?

or is he simply quirky?

Quote by Neo Evil11

water is wet

Quote by fenderbassist12
I guess I need to specify the difference between a mental disorder and a mental disease. Disease as degenerative to the brain, disorder as sort of a "handicap".

I do think it is easy for a lot of people to fall into a depressive episode, and yes I do think a lot of people could use a good talking to rather than medicine to cheer up.

Sorry for not researching this intensely before proposing conversation.

I was just struck seeing someone open fire on a movie theater and kill and injure many of them. Do you think James Holmes is insane? I feel like he could be fine brain-speaking, esp considering he was getting his phd in nueroscience.

and both of them are very much real

it is easy yes, and cognitive behavioral therapy works well on these yes. But don't start going around telling people who are depressed that its easy, or that they don't need their medication. Those people are the fvcking worst and should learn to shut their ignorant mouths

The conversation itself could actually be of some merit, but it wont happen in the Pit, and not if its about whether or not mental issues are real. I hope that in hindsight you can see that the title and op were quite silly, there's nothing inherently wrong with being ignorant of something, it just means that you lack knowledge or understanding of something. Which is understandable, especially on this topic, just do a little reading about such things before you make a thread in the future
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jan 30, 2015,
Lol, there's a big difference between proposing systemic action to objectively identify abuse/overuse of prescription medications and "I KNEW AN ANNOYING KID WITH ADD ONCE LOTS OF PEOPLE ARE FAKERS!"
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Neo stop trolling, you're not good at it.

Not trolling. People with self-diagnosed illnesses or who don't try to cope with real ones, annoy me as ****.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Bladez22
water is wet

If this is the case then why the **** did people care to respond in such a negative way to my initial post? Aparently water is not wet to everyone. Troll.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by fenderbassist12

yeah after being released from the hospital my favorite thing to hear from family/friends was "cheer up ur life is not so bad stop being a whiny baby" yeah thats real cool yeah awesome good job wow
banned
i think i agree with your general idea that it's just a big spectrum of "mental vision", but there's such an overwhelming number of cases that conform to "normalcy" that acknowledging the existence of such a normalcy is justified.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
What is important about mental illnesses and disorders is making sure people know they are real and serious things and you shouldn't be ashamed to go and seek help and get diagnosed if you think you have them.

Like that being depressed isn't just some trivial thing where you're sad for an evening but a real and horrible mental condition. Same for panic attacks, autism etc. too. Stop using aspergers as an insult and stuff like that.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by Neo Evil11
Not trolling. People with self-diagnosed illnesses or who don't try to cope with real ones, annoy me as ****.

Not talking about that part, silly.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Not talking about that part, silly.

The communism part? That was not trolling, that was satire. It worked very well given your reaction.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Instead of saying "aspie" we can say "as pie" and compare people to pie.
Page 1 of 4