It's the obsessive avoidance of unhealthy food.

Orthorexia nervosa (also known as orthorexia) is a proposed eating disorder or mental disorder characterized by an extreme or excessive preoccupation with avoiding foods perceived to be unhealthy.

People with orthorexia nervosa [are] "solely concerned with the quality of the food they put in their bodies, refining and restricting their diets according to their personal understanding of which foods are truly 'pure'."

Well? Is it possible to have a mental disorder characterized by the obsession of eating healthy things? It's not in the DSM so we all have to decide for ourselves.
I don't know what this word means so I'm gonna take it as disrespect
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
My wife had an eating disorder after doing a bodybuilding show
My God, it's full of stars!
I believe people can show "orthorexia" like symptoms but to have it's own standing in DSM I'm not sure. It's still relatively new and probably needs more research. I'm guessing it's probably grouped along in the EDNOS class.

Edit: Apparently it's not in EDNOS or even mentioned in DSM.
Last edited by That Old Geezer at Jan 30, 2015,
Quote by Dreadnought
My wife had an eating disorder after doing a bodybuilding show

I remember when you posted those pics, she was looking good tho.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Sounds entirely plausible to me. Seems kinda like hypochondria only with unhealthy foods instead of diseases. Obsession with keeping your body pure.
^I guess it's not that far removed from obsessive hand washing or something like that.

Quote by Wormholes
This is the worst UG meta-meme is quite some time.

Were you not hugged as a child or something?
Quote by ErikLensherr

My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It's not in the DSM so we all have to decide for ourselves.

In order to get into the DSM a disorder has to impact the individual suffering from it to the point where it has a negative impact on their life.

I mean even if it did get bad enough to have a negative impact couldn't this just be an obsession and be lumped in with OCD?
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by That Old Geezer
I believe people can show "orthorexia" like symptoms but to have it's own standing in DSM I'm not sure. It's still relatively new and probably needs more research. I'm guessing it's probably grouped along in the EDNOS class.

Edit: Apparently it's not in EDNOS or even mentioned in DSM.

This.

I think there's a big push in the US to get stuff recognized as mental disorders, not just symptoms of something else (this sounds like it could be indicative of a number of things, eg obsessive personality disorder). It's an obsessive thought pattern/behaviour - and not every little 'eccentricity' or unhealthy obsession can or should be listed as a disorder in it's own right.
Quote by caeser1156
In order to get into the DSM a disorder has to impact the individual suffering from it to the point where it has a negative impact on their life.

I mean even if it did get bad enough to have a negative impact couldn't this just be an obsession and be lumped in with OCD?

I dunno you're the scientist. The idea is that their diet becomes so restrictive that they start to suffer from malnutrition and become mentally affected by craving forbidden foods and stuff.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I dunno you're the scientist. The idea is that their diet becomes so restrictive that they start to suffer from malnutrition and become mentally affected by craving forbidden foods and stuff.

I'm still an undergrad, I'm not qualified enough for this shit

But honestly it does seem like it should just be another obsessive behavior within OCD, there doesn't seem to be enough to set it apart as its own disorder.
It is the form of eating disorder that I had. It's debatable whether it is technically part of OCD or the eating disorder spectrum but I definitely suffered from it. I spent hours every day researching the healthiest foods to eat, pouring over studies, delaying mealtimes and being able to only eat 3-4 different foods that I had deemed acceptable. Actually, they weren't acceptable, but they were foods that I deemed less harmful than all the others. I did end up suffering from malnutrition, and I had constant anxiety that heightened greatly whenever I was faced with eating foods that weren't on that narrow list.

The height of my orthorexia was about 3-4 years ago now, and i'm still kind of recovering from it but am for the most part better. But yes, I was very obsessive about my diet, ended up starving myself and damaging my health, and lost a lot of opportunities because I was so obsessed with finding the perfect diet and maintaining perfect health. Ironically, I had no health issues before going through that endeavor and ended up with more health issues than ever on my quest for the "perfect diet".
Wow that's really interesting. So was it a sudden thing where you just started being obsessive about the food you ate or was it more gradual? Like you were interested in eating healthier and it just got out of hand.
Quote by Magicant
lol

"someone eats healthy they must be afraid of junkfood"

welcome to america

lol

"someone who can't read the thread or understand what a disorder is"

welcome to UG
lol
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Wow that's really interesting. So was it a sudden thing where you just started being obsessive about the food you ate or was it more gradual? Like you were interested in eating healthier and it just got out of hand.

I'd say it was a few factors, me being a young and naive, thinking I was smarter than I was, and thinking that the acne I faced at that time might be more related to diet than hormones. The biggest thing was that I thought I could get rid of my acne through diet. It was a gradual thing at first but then started getting very carried away with it quickly.

I started by reading around forums (everyone is right, forums are horrible for nutritional/medical advice) and began cutting out foods. Saw improvement but I wanted more, and there was this thinking among the circles I ran in that these diets were temporary and then you'll be fine. So I happily cut out more and more foods. What I didn't realize is that I have a pathological drive for perfection that can get out of hand if I let it. So I cut out more and more, and my face did clear up, but it was from starvation shutting down a lot of endocrine function.

Then my focus shifted from acne to trying to maintain the best health and perfect diet, so my restriction carried on for a few years before the major health issues started setting in. When I realized how miserable I was on a day to day basis, how many friends I lost, how many things I missed out on, how hungry I was all the time, and how I looked and felt like shit, my loss of sexual function and hair at the ripe age of 20...I realized nothing I was doing was actually helping and something is terribly wrong.

My mental state was so bad, there was a point where I tried to strictly control my fluid and electrolyte intake. I dehydrated myself to the point where I couldn't walk and my muscles were in excruciating pain, but I still refused to drink until it was all too much. I fainted in class because I was studying all night and refused to eat carbs completely at the time and ended up fainting in class during a test as well. OCD/orthorexia ain't nothin to **** with.

I've come a long way from then, and typing all this out makes me truly realize how dangerous my behavior was.
Quote by ErikLensherr

yeah i still have them on my desktop
TS, it sounds like every non-fat middle aged woman in the world is Orthorexic.

Eating disorders aren't even real. If someone says they don't want to eat, or can't eat a certain type of food, give them a smack round the face and tell them to grow up. They'll soon snap out of it.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
Eating disorders aren't even real. If someone says they don't want to eat, or can't eat a certain type of food, give them a smack round the face and tell them to grow up. They'll soon snap out of it.

please tell me this is just a poor attempt at trolling and not an actual opinion
I had no idea it wasn't in the DSM. I've been hearing about it for years so I thought it was, and it does seem to be a rather widespread form of EDNOS.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I had no idea it wasn't in the DSM. I've been hearing about it for years so I thought it was, and it does seem to be a rather widespread form of EDNOS.

DSM contains a suspiciously large number of conditions which are treatable by drugs still under patent, considering the links the editors have with the drug companies who own those patents.

/set_tinfoil_hat_ON
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by GuitarGod_92
please tell me this is just a poor attempt at trolling and not an actual opinion

Well, I'll admit that I know so little about eating disorders that I think slapping people around the face is a perfectly viable form of therapy.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
Well, I'll admit that I know so little about eating disorders that I think slapping people around the face is a perfectly viable form of therapy.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.

Hypothesis:

<insert eating disorder here> is just the patient being a ****ing pussy, and can be 'cured' by slapping some sense into them.

Method:

Find individuals with eating disorders. Administer 5 across the eyes until normal eating resumes, or your hand really hurts.

Results:

Convicted of assault

Conclusion:

Use of inappropriate methods leaves no data for analysis. Also, I'm in prison and my bum hurts because of Rapey Jake in the next cell.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
It's not in the DSM so we all have to decide for ourselves.

If it's not in the DSM, then I don't give a rat's ass!
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
healthy things? It's not in the DSM so we all have to decide for ourselves.

Homosexuality used to be in the DSM so why not eating healthy?
Quote by The Spoon
I'd say it was a few factors, me being a young and naive, thinking I was smarter than I was, and thinking that the acne I faced at that time might be more related to diet than hormones. The biggest thing was that I thought I could get rid of my acne through diet. It was a gradual thing at first but then started getting very carried away with it quickly.

I started by reading around forums (everyone is right, forums are horrible for nutritional/medical advice) and began cutting out foods. Saw improvement but I wanted more, and there was this thinking among the circles I ran in that these diets were temporary and then you'll be fine. So I happily cut out more and more foods. What I didn't realize is that I have a pathological drive for perfection that can get out of hand if I let it. So I cut out more and more, and my face did clear up, but it was from starvation shutting down a lot of endocrine function.

Then my focus shifted from acne to trying to maintain the best health and perfect diet, so my restriction carried on for a few years before the major health issues started setting in. When I realized how miserable I was on a day to day basis, how many friends I lost, how many things I missed out on, how hungry I was all the time, and how I looked and felt like shit, my loss of sexual function and hair at the ripe age of 20...I realized nothing I was doing was actually helping and something is terribly wrong.

My mental state was so bad, there was a point where I tried to strictly control my fluid and electrolyte intake. I dehydrated myself to the point where I couldn't walk and my muscles were in excruciating pain, but I still refused to drink until it was all too much. I fainted in class because I was studying all night and refused to eat carbs completely at the time and ended up fainting in class during a test as well. OCD/orthorexia ain't nothin to **** with.

I've come a long way from then, and typing all this out makes me truly realize how dangerous my behavior was.

Whoa that's really intense man. Glad to see you're working past it

Quote by crazysam23_Atax
If it's not in the DSM, then I don't give a rat's ass!

!
Quote by Skullivan
Homosexuality used to be in the DSM so why not eating healthy?

Yes because judging the DSM from the 60s when psychology was still largely pseudoscience is a smart thing to do.