Page 1 of 3
Usually I just stick on an artist and listen on shuffle. I hardly ever listen to full albums in order from start to finish any more because there are inevitably filler songs and ones you want to skip. Plus it feels like a bit of a mission

hbu

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
i listen to albums in full because i'm a true music fan

like and share if you are also a true music fan
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Really depends on the album.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
yes, almost always. I don't use shuffle either.

I only have 2 non-album playlists in my collection. one is a metal gear solid soundtrack one, most of the songs are background music that doesn't sound so great listened all at once so I just cherry picked the hits. the other is an ennio morricone playlist because some of the films songs don't do it for me.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
When I listen to albums I listen to them in full or at most skip one or two songs. I listen to them in order, because someone has gone to the trouble to work out the song order, and this gives it a unique feel. I know that sounds kinda restrictive and possibly snobby and maybe not well worded but I have just woken up.
Yeah and I love it. If you find bands you really like you shouldn't really encounter filler material. Currently listening to the Dire Straits debut on vinyl and there isn't a single non-great song on there. Also concept albums are glorious when done right.

Thick as a Brick
Aqualung
Dark Side of the Moon

Good albums in general just feel right to listen to as a whole. They're not just good song compilations but entire stories, ideas even that flow from on song to the next. If it's a really good album though, when the final song ends you're just like "Hot. Fvcking. Damn that was good." which in my experience never really happens if I just put an artist on shuffle. An album can really 'take you places' in that way.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
When listening to vinyl I always do the full album. It is part of the experience. From my digital collection it depends on the mood. Sometimes whole albums, sometimes selections from a few similar artists, sometimes surprise me with shuffle play.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Thick as a Brick tho. That fvcking masterpiece. One single forty minute song full of wonder and glory. I literally feel like I'm watching a good movie or reading a good book when I listen to it properly. And when the final verse ever so gently comes in, Anderson's voice silently speaking, whispering almost the same words with which the entire epic of an album started.

So you ride yourselves over the fields and
you make all your animal deals and
your wise men don't know how it feels to be thick as a brick.

It's just fvcking emotional as fvck, 'namsayin homie?

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Really depends on a couple things, namely the environment, situation, and my mood.

If I'm working, skating, or doing something otherwise active, I'll put one of my playlists on. If I'm hanging out with friends, it goes both ways. Sometimes we'll want to listen to album front to back, sometimes we just wanna throw on a mix.

Listening to vinyl is a completely different ballgame cause you're committing to throwing the record on, and flipping the side when the time comes. While that extra step of flipping the side is condemned in the digital era, I find it really enhances the listening experience. Forces you to pay attention, and really gets you thinking about what musicians had to consider as far as album structure goes when vinyl was the only format available. Really love it when the A side has a perfect ending song (usually a slow song, ballad, or lethargic song), and then when you drop the needle on the B side, the album goes right back to it. Adds so much depth and dynamic to the entire experience.

I usually try to do one uninterrupted F2B listen of a brand new release I've been eyeing.
~GEAR~

'93 Fender Duo Sonic Reissue

'84 ProCo Smallbox RAT->Fulltone OCD->Akai E2 Headrush->Acoustic Model 470/Acoustic 105 4x12
I almost always listen to whole albums. If the album has a lot of filler then I likely won't own it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
well yea duh. most of the time its just certain songs i want to hear tho. im not gonna listen to all of juturna just bc i want to hear in fear and faith, ya dig
That brings into question good filler vs. bad filler. Not all filler is bad IMO.

But if an album has "a lot" of filler, in my eyes, it's not "filler-heavy", its just a subpar album.
~GEAR~

'84 ProCo Smallbox RAT->Fulltone OCD->Akai E2 Headrush->Acoustic Model 470/Acoustic 105 4x12
I can't think of a single album I own that doesn't have at least one filler song. If you only listen to albums without filler songs you must have a tiny music collection.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
Quote by EndTheRapture51
I can't think of a single album I own that doesn't have at least one filler song. If you only listen to albums without filler songs you must have a tiny music collection.

I have over 100 cds, 9 tapes and 30 records. The majority of them don't have filler, so we'll be conservative and say 75 of them don't have filler.
80 gb and counting, check list of favourite bands.

They're not all filler-less, though the favourites usually are. Or at least have very little of it. Usually what I first consider filler material I start to appreciate more and more with every new album listen.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Is there really a way to objectively determine which songs are filler in an album?

I think what generally goes on in a listener's mind when they're deciding to categorize a song as filler is "Am I going to skip this song every time I listen to this album?"
~GEAR~

A filler song is a song that if it came on I'd probably skip it unless I was in the mood, and I would never go to specifically listen to that song.

Quote by soundgarden1986
well yea duh. most of the time its just certain songs i want to hear tho. im not gonna listen to all of juturna just bc i want to hear in fear and faith, ya dig

I listen to all of Juturna

Quote by EndTheRapture51

Even if they have a couple fillers I'll just listen to them, most filler songs are only a couple minutes long
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by EndTheRapture51
A filler song is a song that if it came on I'd probably skip it unless I was in the mood, and I would never go to specifically listen to that song.

so, to you, filler is just anything that's not very good? i thought filler was songs that were very unambitious, and that the band obviously didn't care about or put much effort into, regardless of it turned out good or bad.

by your definition, i listen to lots of albums with filler. by my definition, i don't listen to very many.
Quote by Jackintehbox
so, to you, filler is just anything that's not very good? i thought filler was songs that were very unambitious, and that the band obviously didn't care about or put much effort into, regardless of it turned out good or bad.

by your definition, i listen to lots of albums with filler. by my definition, i don't listen to very many.

This.

If I follow Lyle's definition I have very few fillerless albums apart from Greatest Hits and Best of Albums.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Depends on what I'm doing at the time and what mood I'm in. In saying that though I like listening to a whole album as much as I do like creating playlists of random songs from different genres.
I think "Changes" on Sabbath's Volume 4 is a primo example of a filler. It's not particularly a bad song imo (though many oppose it), I'll listen to it, but in the context of the entire album, it just doesn't fit. You could take Changes out of Volume 4 and the album would play the same way (again IMO).

The same album has another filler song, aptly named "FX", is just random creaky spacey noises for 30-40 seconds. Totally a filler song, but I love listening to it when I'm going through all of Volume 4, because it builds suspense before the mighty Supernaut, and IMO I think its cool when musicians throw that kind of stuff in there to keep the fans on their toes, keep them guessing, and just as a tongue in cheek "we did this because we could" type thing.

I need to check the side listings on my record again, but I'm pretty sure FX and Supernaut are the last two songs on the A side, so the two in conjunction make for a good round close to the first half.
~GEAR~

Yeah I do. Unless I'm listening to wubz in which case most producers release singles instead of albums.

Quote by EndTheRapture51
I hardly ever listen to full albums in order from start to finish any more because there are inevitably filler songs and ones you want to skip.

Not trying to sound patronizing or tell you how you should listen to music but I feel like if you really like an artist there shouldn't really be filler songs.

Like I can't think of any artist I really like where they have filler songs on an album.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Quote by Jackintehbox

A filler song is something I wouldn't call bad, but I wouldn't call good either. Like a 3 star, average song. I'm happy to listen to it from time to time but I'm not often going to seek out the song and specifically listen to it, and most of the time I will skip it if my music player is in my hand and it comes on shuffle.

Quote by thief_of_fire
The same album has another filler song, aptly named "FX", is just random creaky spacey noises for 30-40 seconds. Totally a filler song,

I don't think interludes should be counted as filler. They serve a definite purpose and they're almost always short enough that they obviously aren't thrown in just to boost the album length.
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
hell yeah.

it's all about them concept albums.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Quote by EndTheRapture51
A filler song is something I wouldn't call bad, but I wouldn't call good either. Like a 3 star, average song. I'm happy to listen to it from time to time but I'm not often going to seek out the song and specifically listen to it, and most of the time I will skip it if my music player is in my hand and it comes on shuffle.

We have very different methods of listening to music.

Also since this thread was opened I've listened to all of Thick as a Brick and am now in the middle of Dark Side of the Moon, and loving every minute of it.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Jan 30, 2015,
Quote by JamSessionFreak
We have very different methods of listening to music.

I listen to most of my music when I'm travelling or walking. So I'll usually put on high tempo stuff. When I'm drawing thought that's when I'll listen to an album in full. Not very often but it has been known to happen.

I use shuffle alot when I'm in a car or something, but there are a few albums that I just can't only listen to one song off of. If I hear "Circle of Cysquatch" come up in my shuffle, my immediate thought is "Well, now I'm listening to Blood Mountain all the way through." Some bands are just much better at releasing completely solid albums than others, who seem to spend all their time focusing on the three singles from that album. :/
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
All the time when I'm driving. At home, usually not, unless I just got the album.

usually this. If I'm bored with what I usually listen to I'll put my spotify library on shuffle until I get to a band I don't remember putting on there that catches my attention and then I'll listen to a full album of theirs.
Quote by caeser1156
I don't think interludes should be counted as filler. They serve a definite purpose and they're almost always short enough that they obviously aren't thrown in just to boost the album length.

Agreed. Some people swear against interludes though.

Also, when I used to be a delivery driver, I'd choose certain short-length EPs to listen to for when I'd be out on a delivery, usually a hardcore 7-inch because I drive faster when I'm listening to punk. If I made it to the address before the EP ended, I knew I got there on time/ahead of time.
~GEAR~

Last edited by thief_of_fire at Jan 30, 2015,
Page 1 of 3