I didn't have a proper acoustic so I decided to buy one. But then I talked with my friend who said why not just get a 12 string guitar.

So yeah, here it is. I just had to buy it because the 12 string sound is so awesome.

It's a Yamaha FG720. It wasn't expensive (€349 and came with a gigbag) and sounded and felt pretty good. I couldn't compare it to anything (because there were no other 12 string guitars in the store) but I read some reviews and couldn't find any negative comments about it - everybody seemed to be happy with it. And as I said, it wasn't expensive and I had wanted to have a 12 string guitar for some time. Sounds like a 12 string guitar should. I just love the sound.

Oh, and I think it looks very nice too.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Congratulations on you new guitar. That's an understated beauty, with a lot of character in the top wood. Nice deep belly on the bridge

Now the required 12 string joke, "how long does it take to tune a 12 string"? Answer, "nobody knows".

In any event, being an undesirable byproduct of the the hip era, I got a full dose of 12 string music while coming of age, almost subliminally, and I love 'em.

Brace yourself, unsolicited advice in the offing: Keep the guitar tuned D-d standard, no higher, and you'll keep it longer.

Use a capo to bring it up to concert pitch if need be. Tune with the capo in place! Because of the differential in string gauges, they bend at different rates. If you try to tune the guitar without a capo, then put it on, the intonation error is massive, as is the tuning error between octave and prime strings.

When you wallet recovers, consider fitting it with some sort of pickup system. 12 strings can benefit with a mild bass boost, and some high end roll off, especially when playing solo. That takes some of the sting out of their sound. (For me, the jangle is cool, but it still needs a bit of taming).

12 string songs? Oddly, I have as much, or more fun, finding songs for the 12 string that weren't 12 string to begin with.

"Pinball wizard"
"House of the Rising Sun"
"Sister golden Hair"
"Diamonds & Rust"
"Play With Fire", "Sympathy for the Devil"
"Chimes of Freedom", (The Springsteen rant) The E street Band uses a glockenspiel for the jangle part.
"Lucky Man" (Which Greg Lake uses a J-200 to accompany off key and in full strum, Ew)) Besides, I think that's my generation's, "Wonderwall" Well, topically no, but all 3 glorious chords of it, yes.

And last but by no means least, Al Stewart's, "Roads to Moscow". Possibly one of the finest songs ever written. He condenses, "The Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich", into about 10 minutes. (At least to the extent of the German invasion of Russia part). Plus there's a part using the Phrygian dominant scale, and you know how I love those.

Consider my age before you pass too severe a judgment on my song choices.

Anyhoo, that was a bold move buying a 12 instead of a 6 string right out of the gate. Actually, something I've done myself. Best of luck with your new guitar!
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jan 31, 2015,
congrats on your new 12-string. it does look nice, and i bet it sounds great - enjoy it
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I thought your sig looked different when I replied to one of your posts in another thread

Very nice I think (?) I have the 6-string version of that (same model number, anyway, but the matt one).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks guys.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115