Poll: Who is the true king of metal?
Poll Options
View poll results: Who is the true king of metal?
Metallica
3 7%
Megadeth
2 4%
Slayer
2 4%
Iron Maiden
13 28%
Pantera
3 7%
Judas Priest
4 9%
Anthrax
0 0%
Black Sabbath
12 26%
AC/DC
1 2%
Other
6 13%
Voters: 46.
Page 1 of 2
So we've all heard a bunch of bands ever since metal took it's place into the rock world, but who are the true kings of metal in your opinion? I personally have to go with Megadeth. Great singer, great songwriting, amazing guitar players. They have some of the most famous metal albums ever made as well. It's either them or Pantera for me.

Which band do you guys think is the true king of metal?
Last edited by Granata at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by Ironic Maiden
King Diamond

So thought you were going to say Iron Maiden
King Diamond for sure, although Primal Fear, Iron Savior, Helloween, and Gamma ray are great metal bands...everybody is unique really there is no best, theres like a max level of greatness achieved when you put amazing musical prodigy's together...kind of like Lost Horizon or Animetal USA. If you haven't heard of any of the bands I've listed after mentioning King Diamond, then you have no say in any convo about metal and or good music....sorry :/
Oh and by the way, I used to love love LOVE good old american thrash metal...Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer all that good stuff, then I found those bands I mentioned in my recent post...annnd yeah as a guitar player and a drummer, I know for fact all those bands kill any American thrash metal band...try listening to Annihilator...their guitarist Jeff Waters is amazing and even ha a youtube video (among thousands) of him paying homage to Dave Mustaine by playing the Symphony of Destruction solo flawlessly. Check it out.. Jeff Waters - symphony of destruction
Slayer. Megadeth sux, and Mustaine is a moron. And Metallica is soft rock, not metal.
Last edited by Knarrenheino at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by Knarrenheino
Slayer. Megadeth sux, and Mustaine is a moron. And Metallica is soft rock, not metal.

Megadeth is king of them all.
Definitely American Head Charge
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Quote by Morphogenesis26
25 people voted on this shitty poll...damn.

If you don't like it then don't come in this thread, simple.
It's almost definitely Simply Red.
In the days of darkness men feared not the sword and the lance
Nor did he fear the beast of fire... He feared...
THE AXEMAN!!

The Earth is covered in ash and our lungs have filled with worms...
Quote by Granata
So we've all heard a bunch of bands ever since metal took it's place into the rock world, but who are the true kings of metal in your opinion? I personally have to go with Megadeth. Great singer, great songwriting, amazing guitar players. They have some of the most famous metal albums ever made as well. It's either them or Pantera for me.

Which band do you guys think is the true king of metal?

LOLWUT?

Don't get me wrong, I love Megadeth, but a great singer, Mustaine is not. Mustaine has a unique voice, you'll never hear me argue that, but that doesn't put him in the great singer category. Also, his live vocals are pretty damn dodgy.

Warning: Long post. Skip to last paragraph if you'd like to avoid my thesis and get down to the real shit.

No secret to anyone here, I believe Metallica to be the kings of metal, based on two simple criteria: LIVE PERFORMANCE and BAND SOLIDARITY.

Each member may have their own shortcomings, but as a unit, they still dominate the live venue. I never hear or read an opinion that Metallica completely botched their gig, leaving the venue dissatisfied with their performance. Naysayers and nitpickers will always find something to blast them for, but it's going to be a really hard argument for anyone to win to say that Metallica aren't one of the most impressive live bands of all time, even outside of the "heavy metal" category. Pretty much everyone has a great time at a Metallica show. I pity the fool who can stand their with their arms crossed at a Metallica gig and leave before the last note.

Now, one may argue that the same could be said for say, Iron Maiden, or Black Sabbath even, but this brings me to my next criteria: BAND SOLIDARITY

Every band in the poll except Slayer & Megadeth have had a change in frontmen, but even those guys can't hold a candle to the charisma that Hetfield has... Hetfield isn't just the Voice of Metallica... He IS Metallica. Sure, Lars handles the business that keeps Metallica going as a corporate entity, but when it comes to the lighted stage, Hetfield stalks the stage like no other and is able to lead the crowd through spirited chants for songs across their discography, from the "Die! Die!" in Creeping Death, to the "Woah, woah woah" of The Memory Remains. As for Mustaine and Araya... they could never reach that level of crowd control... which is why Metallica fills arenas and Slayer & Megadeth still play clubs.

With all the other bands, there has been a change in frontmen. Sure, Maiden has had Bruce for most of their career, but there are those out there who think Killers is the best IM album, which Bruce was not on.

With Pantera, Phil could ruin the bands gig with racist rants or drug problems, and the bands reign was halted forever with Dime's murder.

Judas Priest lost Halford for a few albums which had some great material, and unfortunately, songs like Cathedral Spires, Blood Stained, or Abductors will never be played live.

Joey Belladonna doesn't even belong in the same sentence as the other greats in this poll, and Anthrax turned their backs on the great voice that John Bush has so they could go on a nostalgia trip with Joey, so **** them.

As awesome as Ozzy is, no way in Heaven or Hell will we see him sing Heaven and Hell, Neon Knights, or Mob Rules.

And AC/DC barely counts as "metal" and are more "rock n roll" but I'll bite anyway. Two words: Bon Scott. Brian Johnson =/= Bon Scott.

FURTHERMORE!!! This list is a total fail because there is no Motorhead. While I personally like Metallica's music more than Motorhead's, I cannot argue that Lemmy is not the most metal mother****er to have lived. Anyone who wants to argue that can show themselves the ****in' door, because the idea that Lemmy is the most metal mother****er ever is not merely an opinion, but a solid, verifiable, scientifically proven FACT.
He had a fairly solid argument. I can at least see where he is coming from even if I disagree
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Read it. Can't agree about Metallica but kills it with the absolute truth about Lemmy. Lemmy is quite literally the only one who can appear on VH1 and still be King.

All hail.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Ironic Maiden
you wanna say that to my face buddy

Come on now, can't we make metal into a safe area where all views are equally accepted?
Quote by Hoodoo Man
Come on now, can't we make metal into a safe area where all views are equally accepted?

Do you know what happened the last time someone asked that?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Do you know what happened the last time someone asked that?

Deafheaven were created?
Quote by severed-metal
The one true God is Hansi Kursch.

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I've seen every band on that list except Sabbath

EDIT...I voted Sabbath
Last edited by Tempoe at Feb 1, 2015,
Wow, no love for Pantera or Megadeth? What's wrong with you guys! Rust In Peace is probably the best album ever made
Quote by Granata
Wow, no love for Pantera or Megadeth? What's wrong with you guys!

Even worse, Slayer didn't get more votes either
Page 1 of 2