Alright, you probably get this a ton here, but I'm thinking about painting my guitar. I'm getting a guitar out of a trade with my friend, and the color scheme on it is SUPER ugly to me. Medium/dark blue body and a white pickguard. It's also scratched a bit. I am not a fan. So I want to paint it. I've seen TONS of YouTube videos on how to paint your guitar, of course. But I've had trouble finding how well it actually holds up. Of course I'm going to put many coats of good clear coat on it. But, That still doesn't answer my question. Is it worth it? I can always strip the paint down and do it again if I mess it up. But yet again, is it worth the hassle? I think I want to do an Eddie Van Halen inspired paint job, and of course add my own little flare to it.
Any positive input is appreciated
Thanks.
I sprayed mine with duplicolor spray cans. It came out pretty good.

It was my first time spraying though.
I would say that when you think you have it sprayed good, put another coat on it, so when you sand it wont go through.

And I would not use duplicolor lacquer again. Its been 4 months, and my clothes still stick to it.
Well, you have to at least remove the shine in order for the paint to stick to the body. If you're okay with giving it a thin coat of primer before the top coat, you should be okay just attacking it with a scotch pad until the finish isn't shiny any more, then giving it a thin coat of [normally grey] primer before shooting the top coat and clear.
I use duplicolor acrylic lacquer and have no issues. But I do a lot of extremely light coats (last guitar took me an entire weekend to paint with color, but then I waited a month before the clear-coats. Another key is to not rush the color coats (wait 30-60min in-between coats)

But duplicolor clear is not that great. I use Minwax Acrylic lacquer clear and have had no issues.

I used 2 cans of black and 2 cans of clear to do a tele style body. There were 13-14 coats of color and about the same in clear

TS he was talking about wet-sanding
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Feb 1, 2015,
Unless you have done this kind of stuff before I would practice on scraps of wood. The whole process. From sanding to priming to selecting the colours and the clear coat for the EVH scheme, including steady hand spraying, light coats, respecting drying and curing times, taping off and masking, 'orange peel' wet sanding, cut, polish and finish. All these layers built up on wood scraps, long before you attempt this on the final guitar. You should end up with a few scraps of wood to a highly finished red and white striped scheme that you are happy with before you go the whole enchilada.

This way you get a feel for the whole process and make your mistakes and learn from them before you make them on the guitar itself, as while you say you can strip down the guitar and do it again, there's nothing more disappointing to having to do that if it was avoidable in the first place because you didn't practice first.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Feb 2, 2015,