Hello musicians!

I just sold my Fender Telecaster lite ash recently, now I want to buy a new axe, and still prefer light weight body. Which one is better in quality and tone , Gibson SG Special 2014 or PRS Mira? if I do get one of them, what amp would suit best for each that wont hurt the neighbors? I play Rock, Emo punk and Blues.

Your answers will be appreciated. Thank you!
Last edited by dhenia182 at Jan 31, 2015,
The mira is a better made guitar, better woods and some of the highest QC of any guitar company

I like the SG Special, but the Mira is the better guitar hands-down. And SG's are some of my favorite guitars
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jan 31, 2015,
Another Mira vote. I do own an SG but only because I got it cheap second hand. Gibson´s QC is hit and miss all the way. PRS is quite the oposite!
I normally like Gibson, but I don't like the SG for a number of reasons. Weak construction, bad weight balance, awkward placement while sitting down etc.

On top of being an SG, the Special 2014 has a finish I'm not a fan of (non-gloss, sort-of-satin... only a small step above their old Faded-stuff), 24 frets (ridiculous on the particular model) and a sort of half-attempted 70's look that just clashes with the features. Now, the neck-joint is not as bad as the '61 RI/Current Standard one - but it's still too damn weak for a rock n roll guitar.

Had it been a Les Paul Studio Pro 2014 I would have said that however... PRS may be known for better quality control, but I like the Les Paul design better than any model PRS makes.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by dhenia182
gibson SG just looks phenomenal! but Mira is more versatile eh? hmm hmm

well the PRS has coil tap's and the Gibson does not which gives it an advantage in versatility.

SG's can be great guitars so try them both and decide yourself. But my money is on the PRS
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
well the PRS has coil tap's and the Gibson does not which gives it an advantage in versatility.

SG's can be great guitars so try them both and decide yourself. But my money is on the PRS

SG Special 2014 has coil tap too and is cheaper. errrr I still can't make up my mind
Quote by dhenia182
SG Special 2014 has coil tap too and is cheaper. errrr I still can't make up my mind

If you live in the USA you can get an original Mira (pre S2) for $700-$800 used and they are even better than the S2
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
If you live in the USA you can get an original Mira (pre S2) for $700-$800 used and they are even better than the S2

Where can I find it used in USA? craiglist?
I struggled with this very same issue. I've played both many times and I prefer the S2 Mira, after months of mulling over which to choose. Funnily enough, I ended up choosing both (sort of) I committed to buying the SG '61 RI today but will eventually get an S2 Mira Semi-Hollow in a few months.

To answer your question above, I've found original Mira models on Craigslist for about $900 and they go for about that much on eBay. I've never seen it go for as low as $700-800.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by chrismendiola
I struggled with this very same issue. I've played both many times and I prefer the S2 Mira, after months of mulling over which to choose. Funnily enough, I ended up choosing both (sort of) I committed to buying the SG '61 RI today but will eventually get an S2 Mira Semi-Hollow in a few months.

To answer your question above, I've found original Mira models on Craigslist for about $900 and they go for about that much on eBay. I've never seen it go for as low as $700-800.

I havent tried SG 60s tribute nor special, i only have tried the sgj which impressed me coz of the balanced neck n body. If the other sg has some balance issue , i will choose prs mira instead.
If you're going to try them first, then buy the one you fall in love with.

Personally I'm a Gibson guy, but there's no way I'd buy one without trying it. If you're ordering online, get the PRS - like people above have said, they have far better QC than Gibson.

If you are trying them first though, try as many different Gibsons as possible, even if they are all the same model. You can find trash & awesomeness in the same model of guitar throughout the Gibson range.

FWIW, I have 2 SGs and don't have an issue with balance. They have a reputation for being neck heavy, but I don't experience that with either of mine - a decent strap will hold it in place.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by dhenia182
Where can I find it used in USA? craiglist?

look at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear just type PRS in the search bar and what you want to pay. here are just a few I have found quick

www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Used-PRS-Mira-X-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110790458-i4097584.gc

If you do like PRS, you can get a CE22/24 for $800-$1100 and these are just like the Custom 22/24 with a bolt-tru neck
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by GaryBillington
If you're going to try them first, then buy the one you fall in love with.

Personally I'm a Gibson guy, but there's no way I'd buy one without trying it. If you're ordering online, get the PRS - like people above have said, they have far better QC than Gibson.

If you are trying them first though, try as many different Gibsons as possible, even if they are all the same model. You can find trash & awesomeness in the same model of guitar throughout the Gibson range.

FWIW, I have 2 SGs and don't have an issue with balance. They have a reputation for being neck heavy, but I don't experience that with either of mine - a decent strap will hold it in place.

Thank you for your advice!
Quote by Robbgnarly
look at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear just type PRS in the search bar and what you want to pay. here are just a few I have found quick

www.guitarcenter.com/PRS-Used-PRS-Mira-X-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-110790458-i4097584.gc

If you do like PRS, you can get a CE22/24 for $800-$1100 and these are just like the Custom 22/24 with a bolt-tru neck

Thanks for the link, Mira with birds inlay is what I'm looking for. I'm gonna try Gibson SG first though
OK, here is a white S2 Mira with birds for $799
www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-PRS-MIRA-S2-AMERICAN-110044987-i3718825.gc

The older mira were less likely to have birds than the new S2
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by dhenia182
I havent tried SG 60s tribute nor special, i only have tried the sgj which impressed me coz of the balanced neck n body. If the other sg has some balance issue , i will choose prs mira instead.

The '60s Tribute is a different guitar than the one to which I'm referring (Gibson SG '61).

From firsthand experience, I'll tell you that there's a world of a difference between the SGJ and the SG Special. I don't think you'll go wrong with either the S2 Mira or the SG Special, I would just rather have the S2 Mira. The only reason I'd take the SG Special is for the price, but it's not a such a big difference that I'd sacrifice and have a guitar I like less than the other option.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
The '60s Tribute is a different guitar than the one to which I'm referring (Gibson SG '61).

From firsthand experience, I'll tell you that there's a world of a difference between the SGJ and the SG Special. I don't think you'll go wrong with either the S2 Mira or the SG Special, I would just rather have the S2 Mira. The only reason I'd take the SG Special is for the price, but it's not a such a big difference that I'd sacrifice and have a guitar I like less than the other option.

Is the Gibson SG '61 has balance issue? what kind of strap do you wear? I tried Mira yesterday , I love the feel and the sound and especially coz its LIGHT! but i found something weird bout the finish,the neck was sticky and not really comfortable for playing blues. Now I still haven't found satin SG.
Quote by dhenia182
Is the Gibson SG '61 has balance issue? what kind of strap do you wear? I tried Mira yesterday , I love the feel and the sound and especially coz its LIGHT! but i found something weird bout the finish,the neck was sticky and not really comfortable for playing blues. Now I still haven't found satin SG.

All SG guitars are a bit neck heavy. I don't find it to be an issue at all, some people say they cant stand it. I use a strap made from Nylon seatbelt material
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
All SG guitars are a bit neck heavy. I don't find it to be an issue at all, some people say they cant stand it. I use a strap made from Nylon seatbelt material

I guess I'm going to choose SG , wish me luck
Quote by dhenia182
I guess I'm going to choose SG , wish me luck

Nothing at all wrong with an SG, but buying blind I'd pick PRS everytime
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2