Ok so i'm looking into getting a new guitar soon, and although i'm pretty set on a Ibanez RG Premium people have been saying try a schecter

However i've got a question as i currently don't own one and no-where near me has any schetchers in stock hopefully i can get a answer here

My Tokai SG is a good guitar but for the genre i'm wanting to go into (Metal and Rock) i personally find the neck a bit think and kinda uncomfortable when trying to play fast, so my question is: are Schecter necks slimmer than the one on a Tokai SG

And if so would an Ibanez be best to go for?

I know that nothing compares to actually playing it but ...
don't know about tokai but schecter's tend to have a thick neck on the ones i've tried.
Schecter-necks thick? What are you smoking?

They're thin but rounded, having a very different feel from for example Ibanez Wizard II-necks or Jackson necks, which are pretty thin but flat on the back. The closest thing to a Schecter-neck would be Fender Modern C's in my experience. Similar in both thickness and shape.

A fat neck would be a Gibson Fat 50's profile, and those feel like 2 Schecter-necks on top of each other.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Go ahead and get your Ibanez.

If you're curious about the neck thickness, you can find specs on both. You'll want information on the thickness at both 1st and 12th frets, since some necks taper a little, some taper a lot and some don't taper at all. For example, I have one guitar with a 24.75" scale that's 17mm deep at the 1st fret and 20.5mm thick at the 12th. Those are Wizard dimensions, or would be if the scale was 25.5". Another stays 21.5mm from the 1st fret pretty much all the way until the neck meets the body.

Another consideration when checking neck profiles, of course, is the width at the nut (most, these days are in the 1 11/16ths" - 1 5/8" range, but some are a bit wider at 1 3/4") and the radius of the fretboard. Honestly, I think necks with a radius of 16" are a *lot* different to play compared to those with, say, 10" or 12" radius.

And finally (and this is more a "feel" thing), I've found that I prefer necks that have a rounded "C" shape over those that have pronounced "D" shapes or big shoulders. And that's something that usually isn't specified clearly for most guitars.
Quote by dspellman
Go ahead and get your Ibanez.

If you're curious about the neck thickness, you can find specs on both. You'll want information on the thickness at both 1st and 12th frets, since some necks taper a little, some taper a lot and some don't taper at all. For example, I have one guitar with a 24.75" scale that's 17mm deep at the 1st fret and 20.5mm thick at the 12th. Those are Wizard dimensions, or would be if the scale was 25.5". Another stays 21.5mm from the 1st fret pretty much all the way until the neck meets the body.

Another consideration when checking neck profiles, of course, is the width at the nut (most, these days are in the 1 11/16ths" - 1 5/8" range, but some are a bit wider at 1 3/4") and the radius of the fretboard. Honestly, I think necks with a radius of 16" are a *lot* different to play compared to those with, say, 10" or 12" radius.

And finally (and this is more a "feel" thing), I've found that I prefer necks that have a rounded "C" shape over those that have pronounced "D" shapes or big shoulders. And that's something that usually isn't specified clearly for most guitars.

I have a crappy Encore Strat and a Tokai SG which one of those are Schetcher necks closest to
Quote by HomerSGR
Schecter-necks thick? What are you smoking?

They're thin but rounded, having a very different feel from for example Ibanez Wizard II-necks or Jackson necks, which are pretty thin but flat on the back. The closest thing to a Schecter-neck would be Fender Modern C's in my experience. Similar in both thickness and shape.

A fat neck would be a Gibson Fat 50's profile, and those feel like 2 Schecter-necks on top of each other.

not smoking

well to me they seem thick and don't feel like a fender at all (i play strats). compared to a wizard they aren't the same and at least to me seem fatter. never liked their necks.
which tokai sg is it? they have different models which might have different neck profiles. I would strongly suspect the ibanez would be thinner than just about anything tokai does on its gibson copies, but I could well be wrong.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
which tokai sg is it? they have different models which might have different neck profiles. I would strongly suspect the ibanez would be thinner than just about anything tokai does on its gibson copies, but I could well be wrong.

It's a USG35
thanks. you could probably ask on the tokai registry forum, I imagine they'd know what size it is. Or just measure it (roughly).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Schecter necks have gotten thinner in the last few years. I have two C1s from pre-2010 and the thick end of the neck is bigger than the thick end of my 70s Tribute Les Paul neck. Their vintage style necks are thinner than the old C1s. But they introduced thin necks in 2013 with the SLS series and it seems like most of the 2015 models are advertised as slim. So if neck thickness is an issue you need to try a Schecter in person.
Quote by jpnyc
Schecter necks have gotten thinner in the last few years. I have two C1s from pre-2010 and the thick end of the neck is bigger than the thick end of my 70s Tribute Les Paul neck. Their vintage style necks are thinner than the old C1s. But they introduced thin necks in 2013 with the SLS series and it seems like most of the 2015 models are advertised as slim. So if neck thickness is an issue you need to try a Schecter in person.

ok so i'm not on drugs after all. tried a few older Schecters and hated them. guess i'll have to try a couple of new ones.
Quote by monwobobbo
ok so i'm not on drugs after all. tried a few older Schecters and hated them. guess i'll have to try a couple of new ones.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people complain about how thick Schecter necks are, but I've never got it. I have a Hellraiser from 2006, and people say the neck (which is called a "Thin C" by Schecter) is thick, for being a "shredder" guitar. I love it, though. Feels perfect to me, and I definitely play fast and technical stuff on it. Maybe it's just because I have big hands with long fingers. Their new "Ultra Thin C" neck that's on the SLS and Banshee models (plus a handful of artist signature models) feels almost too thin for me. Very much like an Ibanez or Jackson.
Quote by the_bi99man
Yeah, I've heard a lot of people complain about how thick Schecter necks are, but I've never got it. I have a Hellraiser from 2006, and people say the neck (which is called a "Thin C" by Schecter) is thick, for being a "shredder" guitar. I love it, though. Feels perfect to me, and I definitely play fast and technical stuff on it. Maybe it's just because I have big hands with long fingers. Their new "Ultra Thin C" neck that's on the SLS and Banshee models (plus a handful of artist signature models) feels almost too thin for me. Very much like an Ibanez or Jackson.

I think aside from how a person personally prefers their neck to feel, I think a lot of folks get a bit wrapped up in having the thinnest neck possible, maybe because it's what they like, but I think it also has to do with perception as well. If you are used to a really thin neck and pick up one that is slightly thicker it can throw you off, but sometimes if you give yourself a chance to get used to it you find it's not all that bad.

While nobody wants a baseball bat on their guitar, slightly thicker necks are not without their virtues such as stability and tone as well as sustain, I have read about a few older guitar players (Phil Collen is the name I remember but there are others as well) who say they used to be in pursuit of thinnest necks they could find but now prefer something with a bit more wood for the tone and sustain.

I have somewhat short fingers so for me a wide neck has to be thin but I can get along just as well with one that is a bit more narrow but thicker.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by Evilnine
I think aside from how a person personally prefers their neck to feel, I think a lot of folks get a bit wrapped up in having the thinnest neck possible, maybe because it's what they like, but I think it also has to do with perception as well. If you are used to a really thin neck and pick up one that is slightly thicker it can throw you off, but sometimes if you give yourself a chance to get used to it you find it's not all that bad.

While nobody wants a baseball bat on their guitar, slightly thicker necks are not without their virtues such as stability and tone as well as sustain, I have read about a few older guitar players (Phil Collen is the name I remember but there are others as well) who say they used to be in pursuit of thinnest necks they could find but now prefer something with a bit more wood for the tone and sustain.

I have somewhat short fingers so for me a wide neck has to be thin but I can get along just as well with one that is a bit more narrow but thicker.

agree. my guitar run the gamut on necks. my SG has a very tiny neck(61 style) my strats are in the middle and my BC Rich Eagle has a fairly thick and wide neck. not a big fan of wizard necks or baseball bats. can't deal with super low action either.
Quote by Evilnine
I think aside from how a person personally prefers their neck to feel, I think a lot of folks get a bit wrapped up in having the thinnest neck possible,
While nobody wants a baseball bat on their guitar, slightly thicker necks are not without their virtues

You'd be surprised. Wander over to MyLesPaul and you'd think the ONLY necks worth having in the world are thick, and the thicker the better. There's a whole revolution going on, however, because Gibson announced that their necks are going to be wider, but the string spacing will remain the same <*shrug*>. A LOT of those folks want a baseball bat on their guitars.

Short fingers (though not TOO short) shouldn't be a problem on a wide neck; you just have to move your thumb placement, but that's a technique thing. With some of the really wide neck guitars (8 string and up), you really can't have your thumb doing much to help your playing...
Quote by dspellman
Short fingers (though not TOO short) shouldn't be a problem on a wide neck; you just have to move your thumb placement, but that's a technique thing. With some of the really wide neck guitars (8 string and up), you really can't have your thumb doing much to help your playing...

Yeah I have adapted well to my finger length, I like my wide necks thin and my thick necks to be narrow, I have several different neck thicknesses and shapes on my guitars, the neck on my Dean Split Tail is fairly thick and V shaped which I like very much it is narrow as well compared to many guitars.

I would like to find more guitars with the V shaped neck I find it to be very comfortable.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Quote by dspellman
You'd be surprised. Wander over to MyLesPaul and you'd think the ONLY necks worth having in the world are thick, and the thicker the better.

They better have proper hide glue as well
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Evilnine
Yeah I have adapted well to my finger length, I like my wide necks thin and my thick necks to be narrow, I have several different neck thicknesses and shapes on my guitars, the neck on my Dean Split Tail is fairly thick and V shaped which I like very much it is narrow as well compared to many guitars.

I would like to find more guitars with the V shaped neck I find it to be very comfortable.

American Deluxe Stratocaster, Classic Player Baja Telecaster, MIJ/CIJ Fender '52 Telecasters.
Quote by Dave_Mc
They better have proper hide glue as well

And a bit of Grey Poupon drool on the pickups.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?