I do most of my practicing by playing the mp3 of the song and playing to it. The problem is that the apps I have are difficult to manage from a practicing standpoint. I'd love for it to be easy to replay certain sections of a song, like if I'm trying to learn the bridge of the song, I'd want to play just that.

I have both a Windows laptop and an Android tablet and phone.

So far, Winamp has been the best, on Windows, but they stopped making it.

Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking of using Audacity, but that sounds like it would be awkward to set up.
From memory VLC media player can slow down and loop sections of songs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Winamp still works perfectly fine. Just because they're no longer updating it doesn't mean it's broken. Supposedly they're going to continue working on it later this year or something, but I really don't care. v5.666 is fine as is.

As for looping sections and such I have no idea. I just keep manually moving the little song progress bar thingy back to the same spot. Tedious, but it doesn't bother me. Check out the VLC thing Alan mentioned. I've never tried it myself, but I've noticed it always gets recommended for these types of questions. Maybe next time I have trouble learning something by ear I'll finally give it a shot.
Audacity: it's free, drag n' drop mp3's, change tempo (without losing pitch), highlight sections of interest, holding shift (not sure with fone apps) as you press play will auto loop that section, mate you can even play it in reverse if you want! ... But wait, there's more! (no really there is, go check it out!!!). :smiley:

Sometimes if you run your mp3 through a karaoke program first (let's say "MP3 karaoke"... Duh!), and then run through Audacity, that can further help isolate some tracks (guitar)... and sometimes it just makes things worse. :double smiley:
Last edited by tonibet72 at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by bradyounie
I do most of my practicing by playing the mp3 of the song and playing to it. The problem is that the apps I have are difficult to manage from a practicing standpoint. I'd love for it to be easy to replay certain sections of a song, like if I'm trying to learn the bridge of the song, I'd want to play just that.

I have both a Windows laptop and an Android tablet and phone.

So far, Winamp has been the best, on Windows, but they stopped making it.

Does anyone have suggestions? I was thinking of using Audacity, but that sounds like it would be awkward to set up.

This is excellent: http://www.seventhstring.com/ ... I use it all the time. Still sounds great when slowed right down, and it lets you EQ, and pitch shift (e.g. you're in standard tuning, A 440) whereas the mp3 has a track dropped 2 semitones. Just pitch shift up 2, and there you go. No guitar retuning. Highly recommend it.

cheers, Jerry
Reaper - you can slow down with preserved pitch, loop, slice, copy etc. It's also a full fledged daw for recording.
Not a big fan of slowing down when transcribing, but reverb66 and Jerry's suggestions are great.

Seventhstring is pretty cool, and any modern DAW worth its salt should be able to preserve pitch and mess with time.
"There are two styles of music. Good music and bad music." -Duke Ellington

"If you really think about it, the guitar is a pointless instrument." - Robert Fripp
Honestly I think the best smartphone/tablet app for this sort of thing is the amazing slow downer. Slows down audio while preserving pitch, but more importantly lets you loop sections, and store your loops (so you can break a song into sections very easily, for example).
all the best.
(insert self-aggrandizing quote here)
I have recently come to appreciate Anytune - I started use it at the Academy teaching studio on My iPhone, and then I output it to a set of high end monitors when I teach. I download a song on i Tunes, and use the looping, and slowdown, for students to play along with. I don't need it for the notes per se, but it has been great for teaching and breaking down ideas.

Best,

Sean