Hey all,

Ive got a Big White Monkey Kong amp that was working fine this morning, but now i can't get any sound to come out. Usually i turn on the power, then standby but not the power lights up but the standby switch doesnt. Does this just mean the switch may be faulty or could it be something more difficult to solve?

Thanks,
Elliot
Misha Mansoor:
Uplifting quote disguising failure as something to be proud of.
Check out if the fuses are fried.
Check out if the power tubes are still working.

It's veeeeeeeeeeeeeery highly unlikely for a standby switch to break.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Ok, how will i know if its a power tube issue?
Misha Mansoor:
When you power up the amp the power tubes should glow. If they don't then you need to check the fuse and then the tubes
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
everything is glowing at the back, its just the standby switch doesn't light up when in the on position
Misha Mansoor:
Quote by Minimallamb
everything is glowing at the back, its just the standby switch doesn't light up when in the on position

Well if the light is out and the amp still works, get a new bulb.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Sorry, i must have worded that wrong, I mean no sound come out and toggling the standby switch does nothing
Misha Mansoor:
Sounds like the fuse is blown. I'd try replacing that first then coming back if it doesn't fix it. If you have a Radioshack nearby that hasn't converted into a phone store, then you can get one there. If not, try other hardware and hobby stores if you have any nearby. Make sure you get the same fuse, it'll usually say what kind it needs on the back of the amp.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
If anything lights up at all it's probably not a fuse. When the fuse blows the amp will do nothing. Not even click, pop, sputter...nothing.

If the power light comes on but the standby switch does nothing, something else is wrong. IF you have spare tubes, swap each with good tubes one at a time, if not, you'll need to find an amp tech who can plug them into a tube tester. If all tubes are good, someting else inside is fried, take it to a tech.

WARNING - Tube amps have large capacitors called filter capacitors that hold a very high charge for several months after being shut down and unplugged. 450-500VDC, and it is literally lethal. Don't touch anything inside the chassis unless you KNOW what you are doing. If you do not know how to drain those caps, don't even take the chassis out of the case. Even pro amp techs get shocked now and then, some don't live to tell the story...
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Well, if the mains fuse blows that is what will happen. Some amps have other fuses, often on the board, that will not do the same thing.
Quote by Roc8995
Well, if the mains fuse blows that is what will happen. Some amps have other fuses, often on the board, that will not do the same thing.

+1 the Ht fuses are internal and everything looks OK from the outside
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
+1 the Ht fuses are internal and everything looks OK from the outside

+3.1415

check fuses with a meter. don't speculate visually, i have been tricked before. takes 5 seconds, set meter to ohms and see continuity. don't worry about the number.

make sure to change the same fuse for the same fuse, slo-blow or standard, etc.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Yep, if the high voltage (HT) fuse is blown then everything will look normal but you'll get no sound. Not all amps have an HT fuse. The only info I find own that amp is pictures. There is no HT fuse accessible from the outside. There may or may not be one inside.