Hi, I got into Dream Theater/Amon Amarth lately and want to experiment around with baritone tuning.

Do I need a baritone guitar or can I just string up my trusty ESP LTD EC-1000 with baritone strings without risking damaging it/having crappy sound? It's got a 24-3/4" scale length.

Thanks,

Dex
Having a baritone certainly always helps but I've been putting my regular guitars in horrifyingly low tunings for years. I put my SGJ in F# standard once, the intonation was a bit off but other than that there was no issue.
Sick, thanks man

F# standard sounds pretty ungodly. I started out on F-standard (full step up from E standard, dunno if that's even the name) on a 3/4 classic guitar and have been tuning lower ever since. I'll get down there one day :P

Cheers!
Quote by thomas.decorte
Hi, I got into Dream Theater/Amon Amarth lately and want to experiment around with baritone tuning.

Do I need a baritone guitar or can I just string up my trusty ESP LTD EC-1000 with baritone strings without risking damaging it/having crappy sound? It's got a 24-3/4" scale length.

Thanks,

Dex

there is pedal options.

the ehx pitch fork can give your standard guitar a baritone tuning, and then some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2O2xaRfje0

digitech also makes a similar pedal, i'd personally prefer the options the pitchfork has but i have heard good things about the digitech.

if you want to make your guitar into a baritone by just changing the tuning and string gauge then you can also have some success, but it might mean setting up your guitar for the new tuning. i find with how good tracking is now-a-days that the pedal option is dependable and far more convenient and versatile.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
It comes down to how you prefer string tension and gauge. If you’re cool will .013s that feel like .08s, then just get a luthier to cut a new nut for your EC-1000 (save the current nut in case you switch back or sell it). If you want to play with .012s or .011s, or you like taut strings, you’ll need a baritone. When I first started playing in B I bought a nice baritone with .013s on it because I still believed the old “big strings=big toanz” fallacy. These days I’d probably just put .013s on an EC-1000.
Quote by thomas.decorte

Thanks,

Dex

Both guitarists in Amon Amarth use Gibson Explorers, so 24 3/4" scale. So yeah, if you put heavy-ass strings on there, it'll work. I think I read somewhere that they use around .13-62 gauge sets (they tune to B). That's what I use for C# Standard/Drop B, though the guitar I use for that is a 25.5" scale, so there's a bit more tension.
Quote by thomas.decorte
Sick, thanks man

F# standard sounds pretty ungodly. I started out on F-standard (full step up from E standard, dunno if that's even the name) on a 3/4 classic guitar and have been tuning lower ever since. I'll get down there one day :P

Cheers!

I went DOWN to F#. Almost a full octave down. I was using .14-.68
Quote by hardcore81
I went DOWN to F#. Almost a full octave down. I was using .14-.68

I’ve been thinking about doing this for some Bongripper type stuff lately. But I’d probably just buy a Bass VI slap a capo on it.
Quote by thomas.decorte

Generally baritone guitars have a scale of 27" - 30".

Also generally, simply stringing up your EC-1000 with thick strings and tuning everything down that far will sound crappy. If you're running a lot gain, you may not notice the difference.

You can try the Pitch Fork for $131. It's good for a lot of things, but there can be a bit of latency. You could also just buy a guitar. The Douglas Hadron 727 has a 27" scale (and a 7th string!) for about $189 http://www.rondomusic.com/hadron727fxna.html

Or you can look at the Variax, which will not only allow you to downtune a wide variety of choices, and you can set up anything you like up to an octave per string in either direction without putting garden hoses on the guitar or turning some of the strings into cheese cutters.
Quote by dspellman
Generally baritone guitars have a scale of 27" - 30".

Also generally, simply stringing up your EC-1000 with thick strings and tuning everything down that far will sound crappy. If you're running a lot gain, you may not notice the difference.

You can try the Pitch Fork for $131. It's good for a lot of things, but there can be a bit of latency. You could also just buy a guitar. The Douglas Hadron 727 has a 27" scale (and a 7th string!) for about $189 http://www.rondomusic.com/hadron727fxna.html

Or you can look at the Variax, which will not only allow you to downtune a wide variety of choices, and you can set up anything you like up to an octave per string in either direction without putting garden hoses on the guitar or turning some of the strings into cheese cutters.

I just had a look on the Rondo site at the rest of that Douglas Hadron series. They also do a 6-string bari, and 25.5" version. They seem to be an awful lot of guitar for the money.

Are there any latency problems with a Variax?
Last edited by Tony Done at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by Tony Done

Are there any latency problems with a Variax?

Nope. You are, after all, doing all the pitch replacement right at the guitar rather than 15 or 20 feet down a cable length.
Or he could just string his guitar with a .13-.62 set just like the band he wants to sound like, sound like them, and profit -- just like I said earlier.

About $7, give or take. Beats having to get a new guitar every time.
I'm pretty sure you would be fine with just a heavier set of strings + a bit of set-up, although 24,75" is a fairly short scale so it may not sound very tight. If you're into downtuning, you might want to get a guitar that's at least 25,5" - should work perfectly fine even down to A.

Depends whether you just want to experiment a little or you really want to do more with lower tunings. In the latter case considering a second guitar might be a good idea. Otherwise, putting on heavier strings (+ remember to check neck relief and intonation afterwards) should definitely work well enough.
You can go to down to B or A standard on an EC-1000 pretty effectively. It's just a matter of thick strings.
Just install 13-62 strings and be done with it. Baritone guitars allow you to use thinner strings and they do sound clearer but for B standard its not yet necessary. Case in point Amon Amarth also uses shorter scale Gibsons and their tone is fantastic in B standard. I think Nile's Deans are also short scale and they tune to Drop A. Though they do have to use crazy thick string for the low A, something like 70 gauge.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3