Hey people! I'm not quite sure i'm practicing sweep picking in the most efficient way, due to an issue.

Say you have a 5 string arpeggio, and i start on the high e - i do the upwards sweep until i reach the A string. Now, there's only one note on A string, and i gotta descend downwards again. Do i hit the A string with the up-stroke, and then start the downstroke on the D string, or do i finish my upstroke after the D string, then start my downstroke from the A string, going all the way down?

Whenever i practice, it keeps messing me up! I hope the question is understandable and not too gibberish!
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
I've never thought of it that way before! Surely if you can sweep pick by hopping over the A string like that it will open up other options for you.

It can be kind of weird to pick the A string with an upstroke and then move on to the D string with a downstroke, but that seems to be the standard way of doing things without double-picking it.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
Myea, i think you're right. I practiced starting a downstroke from that A string yesterday, but i find the other more "Standard" way much easier. I guess i just gotta get more used to it!

By the way, i dig your Avatar. **** yea, GG.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Quote by Northernmight
By the way, i dig your Avatar. **** yea, GG.
Lol, good ol' GG.

Quote by *Juno*
you could always hammer on the single note on the A for a bit of variety no ?
You could- it would be easier on the picking hand, but I wouldn't recommend it. I think it's a good idea to make the lowest note of an arpeggio stand out more by picking it, but there's certainly no definitive way to do it right.
Quote by Jesus
Gaza Strip- home. At least it was before I fucked ereythang up...
What *most* people do is hit the A with an upstroke and then a D with the downstroke.

I think Steve Vai occasionally does it the other way, I haven't heard of anyone else.

An interesting point is that the conventional method will transition much more smoothly to economy picking if you should want to, as you will have reduced all string crossing to inside and sweeps, exactly as for economy picking.
I would play the A string twice both on the upstroke and the downstroke, like this...

||----------------8h-12--12p-8----------------|--------------8h-12--12p-8---------------||
||------------10-----------------10------------|-----------10-----------------10-----------||
||----------9------------------------9----------|---------9------------------------9--------||
||------10-----------------------------10------|------10----------------------------10-----||
||--12-------------------------------------12--|--12-----------------------------------12--||
||-----------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------||