Hey everyone! Last night I was watching a Youtube video of singer-songwriter, Shakey Graves. He was using one of these Honeytone Mini Amps, I liked the sound he was getting out of it but had never heard of them...

I did some research, read some Musician'sFriend reviews and I think that one of these little things would be perfect for the style of music I play (acoustic folk-pop-county stuff). And for $20, the price is perfect for my kinda shoestring budget.

Does anyone here in GG&A own a Honeytone? What's everyone's opinion of them?

Never tried one in person, just some considerations:

It's a youtube video, the sound coming out of that thing might have been changed in post production by a fair amount.
It's a hell of a small amp, it will have close to zero ability to reproduce bass at appreciable volumes and it will start giving you a pretty bad sounding distortion even if you don't turn the volume up much.
The headphones output will have no speaker emulation, giving you a pretty bad sound in any case.

If you're up for all that, by any means get one.
Worse thing that can happen, you lost 20 bucks.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Some of the best recorded albums have used small guitar amps. While it may not be a "go to" amplifier, it could be interesting to use in the right application (recording). If I had one here, I'd be tempted to slap a mic on it and see what it can do. It's only $20... give it a shot.

Edit: Is the song titled Late July? You also need to realize, if this is the correct song, that the Honeytone amp is not miced. So, even though he's using one in the video, he may not have used it in the studio recording the song. That's the cool thing about videos - they usually don't record the song played in the video. It's dubbed over, which is why it sound good.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by Spambot_2

I haven't tried one, but that'd be my feeling. If you like the tone it puts out, it might be worth the risk for all it costs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by KG6_Steven
Some of the best recorded albums have used small guitar amps.
Please list all of the decently selling recorded albums that feature guitar amps using 3" speakers in them you know of.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I have one. The lil thing is pretty bad ass! There's no clean, its cheaply made and I wouldn't recommend gigging with (though I'd get a kick outta that). But its louder than it looks, has a cool, gritty distortion sound to it and its only $20.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
Quote by Spambot_2
Please list all of the decently selling recorded albums that feature guitar amps using 3" speakers in them you know of.

Just went back and reread my post and confirmed that I never said anything about recordings using 3" speakers. I did say "small" amps, which is subjective. This is what I'm referring to:

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/10-huge-sounds-recorded-521.aspx

While none of the musicians in the article above used a Honeytone amp, several of them have used the venerable Fender Champ - Clapton used a 3-watt model on some of his recordings. If you can get a great tone out of that $20 amp and it sounds good to you, then have at it.
With some post work, it can sound pretty good. You could probably even put a few pedals in front of it at low outputs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_exrbzGESA

I presume this is the video you are talking about: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np1tVSJpO_E You're also hearing a lot of the natural guitar acoustics.

It'd be good for you until you can get an actual amp c: I recommend the Blackstar Fly though.
Last edited by Will Lane at Jan 31, 2015,
Quote by Mainer
Hey everyone! Last night I was watching a Youtube video of singer-songwriter, Shakey Graves. He was using one of these Honeytone Mini Amps, I liked the sound he was getting out of it but had never heard of them...

I did some research, read some Musician'sFriend reviews and I think that one of these little things would be perfect for the style of music I play (acoustic folk-pop-county stuff). And for $20, the price is perfect for my kinda shoestring budget.

Does anyone here in GG&A own a Honeytone? What's everyone's opinion of them?

I have the Aqua (cheaper at $18.95 and better tone than the more expensive Yellow, Black, or Burgundy)) and it sounds nice with a Kokoboost.
i have a honeytone, and i love the thing. i would never gig with it or anything, but $20 its a riot. its got a fuzzy tone, no cleans, and it can get pretty loud. its interesting.

$20 buy one from guitar center, if you don't like it return it two weeks later. no risk.

its just a toy. pots are actually solid (however mine is a decade old and things could have changed) t can handle loud volumes from that little speaker.

i have toyed with the idea of adding a speaker jack to see what it would sound like pushing a 12" speaker cab. i would then just reconnect it for normal.

i think its cool.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Spambot_2
Never tried one in person, just some considerations:

It's a youtube video, the sound coming out of that thing might have been changed in post production by a fair amount.
It's a hell of a small amp, it will have close to zero ability to reproduce bass at appreciable volumes and it will start giving you a pretty bad sounding distortion even if you don't turn the volume up much.
The headphones output will have no speaker emulation, giving you a pretty bad sound in any case.

If you're up for all that, by any means get one.

i must say you are making bold negative accusations for never trying one. some legitimacy on a theory basis, but , maybe give one a go before you burn it at the stake.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/