I got a Peavey Backstage II 10-watt amp for next to nothing. I know it is a cheapo amp but hey, I got it for under 5 Anyway, the line-in jack on this unit seems to be loose and when you plug in a guitar it the sound that comes out is very silent even when cranked up to the full power.
Sometimes (with a lot of jiggling the cable) I can get it to play at full power but that is rare, also the tape/cd inputs seem to work fine. It just seems to be that one input jack that is a bit loose.

Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks a lot.
Tighten the nut or get a new jack entirely and solder in. You'll need to take the amp apart to get to the panel to tighten or remove the jack properly.

I assume you're talking about the instrument input jack. A line in jack is a different thing. The CD input is a line in jack - it's for "line level" signals, not instrument level.
Sorry, Yes, it is the instrument jack, not the line-in. The line-in works great when plugging in a CD player or the like. The instrument jack does not work too well when plugging in a guitar.
Quote by Roc8995
Tighten the nut or get a new jack entirely and solder in. You'll need to take the amp apart to get to the panel to tighten or remove the jack properly.

I assume you're talking about the instrument input jack. A line in jack is a different thing. The CD input is a line in jack - it's for "line level" signals, not instrument level.

Either way though, the repair process is the same.
just wanted to clarify that.
I'll agree with Roc, open it up and check both the jack and wiring. Not sure oif that particular amp has the jack surface mounted or wired, the surface mounts are a pain to replace but can be done. Sounds like either the tensioner that contacts the tip of the guitar jack is loose, or a wire inside is loose or has a bad solder joint. How to fix it depends on which one is the problem. A loose tensioner can be simply bent inward and will work for a while, but will eventually weaken again.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Thanks a lot! I got it working great it was bent a little inside. Straightened it out and it works awesome!